What do you do with your Alluvial finds?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at going in for a highbanker with a mate of mine (another forum member who's living in London for work at the moment). And I'm just curious what most prospectors on the forum do with the gold they find.

Do you sell it?
Keep it for later?
Smelt and sell/smelt and keep?

Cheers!

I keep it until I have about 1 or 2 grams then I melt it into a blob so I don't lose any of the fine gold :) then add another gram or so later on when I find more

I keep all of the nicest pieces for my collection, the rest I either sell to buy more gear or put it somewhere and forget about it haha found multiple vials of small amounts of gold <1g when i recently moved house.
Comes in handy as a barter item when you are doing it tough also ;)

I'll let you know when I find some :lol:
Seriously though, I've only found a few specs here and there so nothing of value yet.
My intensions are to keep everything I find and pass it down the generations as sentimental object rather than something of value, un-smelted because in it's natural form every piece tells a story.
I hope one day to be in a position to stew over selling for good $$ or not but happy to just have the thrill of the hunt which is what it's all about for me.

Bury it in horse sh#t to try and make it grow, close my eyes and drop a piece onto a map, then go dig where that piece lands, rub it into my temples and try to pick up on the "Zen",
Let the Bullvye sniff and lick it to see if he can find where it's buried, then back into a tin it goes, for when I drag it out to sit down and watch the next episode of "gold rush" :rolleyes:

When visiting a supplier for panning equipment I asked for the big vials and he handed me ones that could hold two ounces, I said small vials small gold. I have a huge vial that could hold around 10 ounces...bigger vial bigger gold. He loved the concept but said I'd have to be very lucky, luck is my middle name I replied. We chatted a bit and I bought 2 bags of paydirt for $20 to get some practice with panning, although the gold was minute it was great to see how it sits in the pan and also helped improve my technique. I look at it in my vial and appreciate the beauty of it.

A bit of bought paydirt is a great way to learn how the gold behaves when starting out. I would also recommend mixing it with a bit clayey (is that a word?) dirt from the garden/creek as well as the bought paydirt tends to be clean washed gravel and alot easier to pan effectively than the stuff you might dig up in the field.

Adam Lastnme said:
A bit of bought paydirt is a great way to learn how the gold behaves when starting out. I would also recommend mixing it with a bit clayey (is that a word?) dirt from the garden/creek as well as the bought paydirt tends to be clean washed gravel and alot easier to pan effectively than the stuff you might dig up in the field.

Thanks for the tip Adam....

I keep my gold in a tackle box labeled from the lead gully or creek i got it from and segregated by areas. When i feel like going out for a dig i often look for specific gold types to chase. All the fines i melt down

Latest posts