What are we thinking in regards to Andrew Gaff and his sucker punch AF

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disgusting, provocation is no excuse he should be out of the game forever and face charges for assault. At some point in time the message has to be drilled home to these cowardly thugs that this behaviour is unacceptable.

The local news said something about the poor kid will be sucking through a straw for 10 weeks, Gaff needs to be gone for good!

What he did was wrong, no doubt, and he knows it.
Coward punch? They were almost toe to toe with push and shove going on so I don't agree.

These guys are coached to be aggressive (Oh but not too aggressive please), so it doesn't surprise me that they snap from time to time. Might as well ban the game, not the player. Ban the crowd too for all the filthy violent comments they make when a player gets close enough to hear.

Ban all contact sport, ban Alcohol too for all the violence it creates. Ban religion too for all the wars and death....
Have I missed anything?

Just my opinion, so come at me if you want...but be careful, I'm already doing the cyber helicopter, so it's your fault if you walk into one
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose the way to think of it properly is to imagine he actually killed his opponent stone motherless @#$#@&$#(some word) dead.
So.... what would have been happening then ?
Just try blowing that over(or hiding it under the carpet) :eek:

silver said:
I suppose the way to think of it properly is to imagine he actually killed his opponent stone motherless @#$#@&$#(some word) dead.

What if someone dies in a legitimate tackle?
What if someone dies from a bouncer to head?

isolation said:
silver said:

But what if they died from what he did.. that was no on field accident happening there.

silver said:
isolation said:
silver said:

But what if they died from what he did.. that was no on field accident happening there.
Exactly! Too many "what if's"... Ban the game

silver said:
isolation said:
silver said:

Then I'm sure the whole force of the law would be applicable, it may well be applied in this instance. Leigh Matthews was charged for assault many moons ago but the charges were quashed. Many assault charges emanating from sport are often dismissed or hard to prove. Civil action may well be Brayshaws best option if he wishes to pursue the matter but my gut tells me this won't happen.

Well... I suppose it is a proving ground.... and they never call off the war just because someone gets hurt either.
So it'll most probly be business as usual next weekend regardless.

I'm hesitant to comment again but let's examine this a little more closely.

Gaff hit Brayshaw square in the jaw. Sure he felt guilt, remorse, and in my opinion didn't actually mean to connect with the area he struck, but let's weigh this up.

The kid is just above legal age, chances are he was doing high school exams 12 months ago living with his parents. This is his first "workplace", where he faces pressure to perform in a struggling team. Towards the end of the season with few more than a handful of games at the elite level he struck in the face by a full bodied blow by a full grown man in his prime. As a result he suffers a broken jaw and missing teeth. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be a pretty extreme situation to be subjected to, whether on a sports field or not. Not sure if anyone here has had their jaw broken but I can tell you it won't ever be the same for that young bloke again. And in the name of a "sports incident " the offender will probably get less weeks than it takes the young blokes jaw to heal.

So yeah I find it outrageous. It was not incidental or accidental. Gaff swung, connected, broke bones and teeth of a very yound lad. If it happened in other work place it would be goodbye job, and face the magistrate. So no I can't accept the hard line she'll be right mate pass that sportsman get for "infractions". Commit and convict, no passing Go, no collecting contract payments.

Manpa said:
Then I'm sure the whole force of the law would be applicable, it may well be applied in this instance. Leigh Matthews was charged for assault many moons ago but the charges were quashed. Many assault charges emanating from sport are often dismissed or hard to prove. Civil action may well be Brayshaws best option if he wishes to pursue the matter but my gut tells me this won't happen.
I reckon you're spot on pa.

If someone dies during play then that is the risk they willingly take. There are risks inherent in playing sport and sports people accept that. In my last game of football a bloke crashed through my knee and sent some parts on holiday, never to return. That footy, it's a contact sport and I accept it.

I played Aussie rules for 30 years and every time I ran on that ground I went out there to play football. I wanted to be happy with myself, and regarded by my team, as being a good football player.

I did not run out there to be a thug or be belted by a thug.

Luckily (or unluckily??) there were only 3 occasions in maybe 450 games that I was assaulted. And I say assaulted because that's what it was. As a 17 yr old playing senior football the centre half back 10 years older than me didn't like the fact that I was better than him so whilst standing next to me decided to round arm a fist straight into my nose. The ball was at the other end of the ground. I turned around to face him and copped 3 more. Broken nose, black eyes. That's not sport, that's thuggery. That is not something that anybody needs to accept as a 'risk' in sport. That is not something I want my boys to have to accept as a 'risk' either on a sporting field, at a nightclub or in the street.

As a 30 yr old, punched in the stomach whilst looking at play that was 40 metres away. Completely unready to be punched and completely cowardly. That has nothing to do with football being a 'contact sport'. That's the act of a thug, a poor sport and a brain dead moron. And from a person who was suspended many times and was later involved in a very high profile incident that ended up in the news, on the Footy show, etc.

As a 38 yr old again punched in the nose by a bloke that was being beaten at playing football. And this was a bloke who I know is a brain dead moron, would punch people all the time and spent more time suspended than playing. Another broken nose for me.

Suspension doesn't work. It's a slap on the wrist and a few weeks off to get over injuries.

On the bright side it means I played about 447 games incident free with some top blokes but those 3 incidents really marred what was a thoroughly enjoyable sport.

And mods, this is one of those threads that will no doubt end up locked a there are simply too many opinions which are neither right nor wrong and it is such an emotional topic. I wouldn't blame you if you deleted it.

OldGT said:
I'm hesitant to comment again but let's examine this a little more closely.

Gaff hit Brayshaw square in the jaw. Sure he felt guilt, remorse, and in my opinion didn't actually mean to connect with the area he struck, but let's weigh this up.

The kid is just above legal age, chances are he was doing high school exams 12 months ago living with his parents. This is his first "workplace", where he faces pressure to perform in a struggling team. Towards the end of the season with few more than a handful of games at the elite level he struck in the face by a full bodied blow by a full grown man in his prime. As a result he suffers a broken jaw and missing teeth. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be a pretty extreme situation to be subjected to, whether on a sports field or not. Not sure if anyone here has had their jaw broken but I can tell you it won't ever be the same for that young bloke again. And in the name of a "sports incident " the offender will probably get less weeks than it takes the young blokes jaw to heal.

So yeah I find it outrageous. It was not incidental or accidental. Gaff swung, connected, broke bones and teeth of a very yound lad. If it happened in other work place it would be goodbye job, and face the magistrate. So no I can't accept the hard line she'll be right mate pass that sportsman get for "infractions". Commit and convict, no passing Go, no collecting contract payments.

How many 19 year olds were killed in wars, for a lot less money than modern footballers get.
Let's put in perspective. Yes its his work place, a very privledged work place.

Yeah it was shocking and could have gone much worse.

But if Gaff's defence, the guy is an exemplary player with as far as I know an umblemished record in over 200+ games. In line for a Brownlow.
In this day and age where many idolize footy players, up until this incident he wasn't a bad role model. Definately not a thug before and I'd still say not a thug now.

Him and Brayshaw are apparently good mates.

A brain fart, a bad one but a brain fart none the less. I only saw two blokes in pain out there, Brayshaw and Gaff after he realized what he'd just done.

Latest posts