What are the lines through this sapphire?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi hopeing someone can enlighten me on this sapphire. As you can see in the pictures below this sapphire has a nice colour but also has lines running through it, the lines are parrallel to one another and actually turn green when i turn it on its end.
Any idea what the lines are? I have never found one like this before.

1449645341_2015-12-05_16.35.21.jpg

1449645364_2015-12-05_16.35.56.jpg

As you can see when i turn it on its end the light still comes through the stone.

1449645488_2015-12-07_18.22.11.jpg

1449645515_2015-12-07_18.22.28.jpg

The sapphire is very dull when it has no light behind it.

1449645580_2015-12-07_18.22.59.jpg

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:)

This is probably the most famous dogtooth with spectactular colour zoning,

1449654491_image.jpg

yours has some amazing colour and is a good size stone, very nice :cool:

Yeah Thanks Wally69 it is a nice looking stone but i think it still has a lot more beauty to show :lol: its 4.9 carats, heres to hopeing it doesn't have to many cracks through it would be nice to get a 1 carat+ stone once facated :D

I'm familiar with the Tomahawk Tiger, this sapphire was also found at the CQ Gemfields but different diggings, this one was found at reward.

So how does the stone form with colour zoneing and how does it affect the gemstone once it is cut?

Thanks,
M3

:lol: Thought it might have been from that way.

I have a smaller banded one and was told that getting the right colour/shade at the base of the cut stone was the secret to success.

Can't quite remember what was said but I got the impression that the colour put at the base of the stone would be the dominant colour but a play of colours could be won if the band what's slightly above the point but came at a risk of ruining the stone.

Bottom line .... I don't have a clue and don't take my advice :D

Keen to get some expert advice as well. :cool:

:D That does actually make sense how you described that Wally69 it does have several bands through it all of different thicknesses i hope there is one or two in the right spot to cut a nice stone :D
Yep also keen to get some expert advice.

I have befriended a gemologist and his wife who live in rubyvale, she cuts a nice stone, looking forward to getting there thoughts next time i am out that way :)

Hi I have a beautiful big green from Ruby Vale it also has straight line through it. I'm told it's a table. My valuation says large green with straight yellow table. What's that mean don't know but have been told it's not a partie colour.
K-m

Hi K-M

I have been doing a little research on this type of sapphire.
Your right its not a parti but a sapphire with colour zoning. Its a little hard to explain, because im still trying to work it out myself :p so correct me if im wrong people.
So in a nut shell your sapphire (and mine) with the colour zoning bands are basically two stones in one and ended this way because of its cooling process.

Lets say that the green part of your sapphire is stone 1 and the yellow band is stone 2, so your valuation is saying that the yellow band section of your stone you are actually looking through the table of that stone (stone 2) and the green part of your stone you are actually looking across the table of that stone (stone 1).

So what Wally is saying is if you get the stone cut whatever colour is at the culet (point) of the cut stone will be the dominant colour, but if the yellow band is right and when cut ends up just above the culet and through the pavilion then you will actually get a play of colours (yellow and green) which can actually look really nice.

images

A yellow green play of colours from colour zoning

images

If any one could confirm this for me that would be good as i said i am still learning all this.

I hope this helps to understand what sort of sapphire you might have K-M also if you dont mind me asking, how heavy is your sapph and do you have any photos? :)

Thanks,
M3

I quite like colour-zoned stones. Sapphires especially. There are constant arguments on Gemmology forums about whether colour zoning is a desirable or undesirable feature. The way I think of it is that color zoning makes an already rare stone unique. There are plenty of straight blue sapphires in jewellers windows around the world, all looking much the same. But when a stone has colour zoning, you would be hard pressed to ever find another that looked identical when examined. They are one of a kind.

I can see the light passes through the c-axis of your stone without too much difficulty, by the looks. That's a good thing. Get your friend in Rubyvale to examine it and see if she can cut it, it may return a nice looking stone. :)

Hi Kim. Is your stone the same colour from all directions? Is it predominately green whichever way you turn it or does it take on a different colour when veiwed from a different angle?
KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi I have a beautiful big green from Ruby Vale it also has straight line through it. I'm told it's a table. My valuation says large green with straight yellow table. What's that mean don't know but have been told it's not a partie colour.
K-m

1449791918_img_2738.jpg

I hope this works picture is as good as I can get it, the lines are straight I beleive when it was cut it was done in a way to keep the lines as they were the stone always looks green light green.

The lines are yellow, most would call it a partie colour but we had 5 stones cut at the same time the ones that were partie colours were named that on the valuation.

In 1989 the valuation of this stone weight cut was 5.53cts at $380.00 per carat total $2,100.00

I have no idea what it is worth today but love wearing it.

K-M

So I have found some history for those interested Charlie Bradford who cut this stone above Worked for Halpin and McCracken in Brisbane after the war in 1944 my book says during this time Charles cut the famous Andersons Yellow Sapphire an oval double brilliant weighing 35.72 carats

He went to Ruby Vale 1949 I believe my stone was cut in the seventy

Cutting back then was a real skill with the tools they had
K-M

Kingsolomon: I've been trying to find that sort of info on the internet, thanks for that.

Lefty: I agree colour zoning makes an already rare stone unique. In the jewellers cabinet you will see a bunch of blues of different sizes and shapes a dozen greens, several yellows but there might only be 1 or 2 that have a play of colour due to colour zoning, my wife and i like the blue/green play of colour and would prefer it over a solid blue or solid green, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Heatho, Wally: nice lookin stones their fellas, i agree i find it hard to ruin natures handy work but as you can see from the photos mine looks like a cockroach egg haha :D so i think getting it cut will show its true beauty, plus i have a few other sapphires that look spectacular in the rough for me to admire natures work :)

K-M: wow what a nice stone looks like you have invested well.

I am looking forward to getting mine checked out by someone who knows a little more about em, i hope i can get a decent cut stone from it.

M3

1449796325_img_2742.jpg
1449796375_img_2740.jpg

Strange I never looked at the back, the lines are not yellow they look blue, you can see the straight cut only 4 cuts I think that may have been done to keep the lines.

The other green weighs more and is deeper in colour no other colour in it both stones from Ruby Vale not out of a mine I think the round one has the depth because of the cuts.
Neither stone has light under them this is how they are all the time, or better
Cheers

M3talmiliti4 said:
Hi K-M

I have been doing a little research on this type of sapphire.
Your right its not a parti but a sapphire with colour zoning. Its a little hard to explain, because im still trying to work it out myself :p so correct me if im wrong people.
So in a nut shell your sapphire (and mine) with the colour zoning bands are basically two stones in one and ended this way because of its cooling process.

Lets say that the green part of your sapphire is stone 1 and the yellow band is stone 2, so your valuation is saying that the yellow band section of your stone you are actually looking through the table of that stone (stone 2) and the green part of your stone you are actually looking across the table of that stone (stone 1).

So what Wally is saying is if you get the stone cut whatever colour is at the culet (point) of the cut stone will be the dominant colour, but if the yellow band is right and when cut ends up just above the culet and through the pavilion then you will actually get a play of colours (yellow and green) which can actually look really nice.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...gWxjdaeLDLmZvVLMn7GYBklvrZbsGJY0FPqiSZW3RlQQA

A yellow green play of colours from colour zoning

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...cG7DiSv5s31NZLWsr01ZOFbXhEP836xTy6YLidlt8U6iw

If any one could confirm this for me that would be good as i said i am still learning all this.

I hope this helps to understand what sort of sapphire you might have K-M also if you dont mind me asking, how heavy is your sapph and do you have any photos? :)

Thanks,
M3

These may answer your question on the colour of cut Saphs. Esp looking at the image of the cut stone again. Bow tie? ;)

Invaluable. :cool:

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/just-ask-jeff-what-is-a-dichroscope-and-how-do-i-use-one/

http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall-2014-introduction-pleochroism-faceted-gems

Hi Kim -Margaret. Could you please tell me the name of the book that you found information about Charlie Bradford? He was my great uncle and I miss him like crazy! I am always interested in finding out more about him and seeing the stones that he has left behind. He cut some beauties....

Latest posts