west of the Grampians

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anybody know if there's any gold west of the Grampians? I have a friend with property near Balmoral and just wondering if it would be a waste of time or not.

Not a waste of time but very hard.I have spent a few trips around there for only one speck in the pan at mathers creek.Nolan creek had mountains of black sand but no gold. but I Havant been back there I think it would have produced as there was no water at the time so I only sampled 2 twenty litre buckets up the road n a dam.farmer gave me acsess to his property at mathers creek and I think more sampling would have found more.the farmer claimed to have found some there along time ago.also there are mine shafts in the foot hills of his neighboring property but myself and mjb couldn't locate them.I have also tried a few other creeks close buy all with a lot of pyrite and supposedly gold but I never came across it.just north of balmoral and the rock lands reservoir there is old mine and diggings.check out bonzel on Google it should help. I am sure if I put more time into it there could have been better results but after 3 trips I now drive the extra 1 1/2 hours to get to the golden triangle but it is still in the back of my mind to hit it again one day.the gold and gem mag had a good right up on that area early last year if you can find it that was my start reference point.hope I have helped and good luck ;)

condor22 said:
To answer your question, Yes

S. Australia has a small amount and W. Australia has heaps..... :lol:
good one condor :lol: due west of the Grampians is mostly ocean until the tip of WA

thanks K Man, no point me driving and hour west to a less likely area than my own back yard. just easy access to private property. will try it one day when we're out there getting fire wood

That's the one mate that's my second favourite past time collecting red gold( red gum) you never go home empty when your chasing that stuff. :)

k man said:
That's the one mate that's my second favourite past time collecting red gold( red gum) you never go home empty when your chasing that stuff. :)
Tonnes of the stuff at that way hey Kman ;)
Stoneage, exactly what Kman said. There was a mine slightly S/E of Balmoral I believe but a few more scattered along the banks of Mathers Creek which comes up from the S/W of Balmoral. If the property you have access to is along that creek than you may be in with a chance of finding some colours. The old mines on the banks of Mathers creek Kman mentioned was found in shafts sunk down to decomposed granite amd was reportedly very fine. Detecting out that way may be like finding a needle in a hay stack :|

Good question mate - pretty amazed you got belted with nonsense but then again, I checked the state of origin of the posts - any hoo....

The boys are 100% spot on - Some mining for alluvial gold and tin (circa 1900, 1930) occurred southwest of Balmoral in Mathers Creek. Production was small but significant and "made wages" .

Western Mining 1974 - Reason for relinquishment: The mineralisation was not considered significant. References - Chenoweth (1974a); Western Mining Corporation Ltd (1974a).

1992 -The Pigeon Ponds mineral exploration project was a small thrust at locating a gold reef in the vicinity of the most westerly gold occurrence shown on published Victorian geological plans. Past exploration results and local hearsay information were assembled, and a likely structure for a reef was interpreted. The structure was detailed with ground magnetics, and hand boring was carried out in an attempt to expose the postulated reef. Overburden proved too deep for hand boring.

You can read further in Fletts and Brough Smyths books - takes some research but there you go. Do not discount this area........ ;)

Total waste of time looking for gold at a farm at Balmoral because there isn't any gold there. The sheep would probably laugh at you. Try outside the town of Moyston near halls gap in the garmapians, along Bellellen road in the state forrest, theres an old gold field there, aslo try around Ararat

Latest posts