Wee Jasper information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Daughter and myself heading to Wee Jasper this weekend to camp with friends, whilst friends are fishing I thought I might do some prospecting.

Is it worth while taking the metal detector or just stick with some panning?

And what areas are best to try my luck?

Your best chance in the area is Mcphersons Creek. Gold isn't really large enough for detectors and the creek is mainly fossicked for sapphires. Unfortunately lots of blackberries have now chocked the creek, so a bit of time needs to be spent clearing them.

Best of luck if you head out that way,

Cheers Wal,

Hi guys and girls,
Thinking of heading to wee jasper area for the day on sunday.
I am familiar with the area but have not ever been prospecting there. Any advice would be great. :)

I got some nice chunky gold where the pink flag is. Only got one little sapphire there though.

b1b9ae61214714d6ac21a1cb708772d7.jpg

DD

Thanks DD, ill give that place a shot. Do you know what the water is like this time of the year?
hoping the recent rain has it flowing!

WalnLiz has quiet a few posts on Wee Jasper . I believe that McPhersons creek is totally overrun with Blackberry bushes & there is usually no water there at all , so you would have to take your wash elsewhere for processing

Thanks for the heads up headbut... ill have to take some cutting gear then. Was also wondering if anybody has had luck detecting the area. Not only after the gold there, I also love the relics(around cave enterances etc). Just pondering 8)

One of the most beautiful spots iv ever been and camped its on the list some time again in the future. Had a good look around but never followed up research maybe I should
They also have a good little New Years party not far from that pink flag'

Take the road to tumut and turn in on the gate road where DD marked. At around 700 metres I think there us a small side track on the left and you will see the diggings.

Best thing is actually to take 5 to 7 large buckets. Just take them back to the camp ground in Wee Jasper and pan there. Plenty of water there. Mcphersons creek is not really suitable and you get better results with the extra water. A bit of clay there. Gold is chunky.

I got some nice chunky gold where the pink flag is. Only got one little sapphire there though.

Diggerdude --
\
Mate were you detecting or panning for this gold?

I did detect one small specie but worked hard for it. lots of workings but gold not really showing up on 5000. pretty sandy soil in parts too. Lots of rubbish - looks like some areas have been used for a tip. cheers.

Hi Diggerdude
How far in Ks is the turnoff into Macphersons from Wee Jasper. I am Having trouble finding it on Google Earth.
I would love to head out there for a look around. Really appreciate the assistance mate
Kind regards
Mark

Hi Guys
i love my fossicking, gold or sapphires, i do a bit at grabben gullen, parsons gully , tuena and wee jasper.
i was curious if any one has looked into the new state wide nsw state forest permit and had a chance to look at the map where most fossicking is done at Mcphersons creek wee jasper? the map details it to be leased land and fossicking is NOT permitted in that area.
Any thoughts or have i read the nsw state forest fossicking maps wrong?
cheers
Ad

It is state forest where the fossicking is done. The tumut nsw forests office issued me a prospecting license for mcphersons 2 years ago.

can't post a full link for the map but here is most of it for the wee jasper state forest

forestrycorporation.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/510956/fossicking-area-map-wee-jasper-state-forest.pdf

yellow and orange cross hatch on the fossicking area shows it as crown lease.(no fossicking zone)
cheers
Ads

thanx Col
that's where we fossick also. As i said it is now a "fossicking not permitted-crown lease" zone, according to the new state forest fossicking map.
cheers
Ads

Gday Everyone

prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2146

Have a look at the above link, it explains the situation regarding the lease

cheers

Bob

Latest posts