Weapon of choice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a bit of blackberry bush clearing, with a view to gaining better access to some productive areas.

I have a Stihl line trimmer, but not sure its up to the challenge. I'm not planning on clearing massive areas, just a bit here and there as I go.

I like the shredding ability of this blade...
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0QFpkIdCU[/video]

I also like the split shaft multi head option, so you can change between brushcutter, trimmer saw, hedge trimmer etc

So the question is, do I spend the money and make a quality investment, or has anyone found some of the cheaper units reasonably good?

G'day Isolation, you will need the brush cutter blade and light duty line trimmers can not be fitted with a blade. That is why there are brush cutters and line trimmers( 2 different machine's ) Personal choice for me is 2 stroke in any quality machine, straight shaft and grease-able cutting head. I wont go into brands. Do not forget to read the manual and wear correct PPE.

How many blokes know if they have a grease-able cutting head on there brush cutters and if they do when was the last time they greased them.

Cheers, DD

1445282929_image.jpg

Best Blackberry cleaner upperer by a mile if it's your land and you have a little time , two of these per acre per year and not a thorn left ! Then you have a BBQ ;) they even rent herds out around our way to clean up blackberry

Cheers

Digger Danny said:
G'day Isolation, you will need the brush cutter blade and light duty line trimmers can not be fitted with a blade. That is why there are brush cutters and line trimmers( 2 different machine's ) Personal choice for me is 2 stroke in any quality machine, straight shaft and grease-able cutting head. I wont go into brands

The plan was always to get a straight shaft brushcutter, preferably with interchangeable heads. And I was really hoping to hear about different brands lol
A Stihl interchangeable head can cost $500 on its own, where a Rok unit with motor and 4 interchangeable heads can cost $350 all up.
I guess I was just wondering if anyone has had a good experience with any of the cheaper brands :)

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baumr-AG...mer-Weed-Line-Edger-Brushcutter-/380690959687 based entirely on price and was pleasantly surprised! I had a load of real woody weeds out the back of the factory so wanted something tough. Well I tried all the different heads and had a blast. Even found a sewer vent pipe sticking out of the ground that I didnt know was there - when I say found I really mean that I cut the top of it clean off :8

Look its not a high quality unit but as I dont need to use it all that often - it works for me.

Jembaicumbene said:
line trimmers for that type of work no way, brush cutter for sure as DiggerDanny has stated and top advice he has given.

Yes, good advice indeed :)

As I mentioned in my first post, I was definitely thinking brush cutter not line trimmer :)

Capertee gold said:
I have a komatsu zenoah brush cutter and the thing is unstoppable
I can even push what I've chopped away with it while still cutting ,its a beast with steel blades

Thanks Capertee! My dodgy research skills aren't coming up with much, was that an in store purchase?

SteelPat said:
I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baumr-AG...mer-Weed-Line-Edger-Brushcutter-/380690959687 based entirely on price and was pleasantly surprised! I had a load of real woody weeds out the back of the factory so wanted something tough. Well I tried all the different heads and had a blast. Even found a sewer vent pipe sticking out of the ground that I didnt know was there - when I say found I really mean that I cut the top of it clean off :8

Look its not a high quality unit but as I dont need to use it all that often - it works for me.

Thanks Pat! Yeah I was looking at something similar online as well. Similar situation, won't be using it all the time, just a few specialty jobs now and then. Might look into it a bit more :)

SteelPat said:

Geeze..what a deal! I think I might try and get one of them soon too. Exactly what I need :)

I have a Husky brush cutter with a Husky 350 chainsaw, and on my last mission to clear blackberry shrubs, what the brush cutter didn't get the chainsaw took care of the bigger stuff............

I wouldn't even consider a trimmer on blackberries, unless you wanted to make tidy and pretty :eek:

The deadly duo works for me!!

Cheers

You need a pretty serious brushcutter for that type of work. I have a husky clearing saw, which is a fancy way of saying BIG ASS BRUSHCUTTER, but they retail for near 2 grand.
Checkout biggerboyztoyz.com they had a couple of really good big ass brushcutters for under $500.

Try your Stil agent , look for the 3 blade cutting head, you will have to get a cover plate and nut, about $50-60. It will fit on a normal straight shaft brush cutter. This blade will cut through small shrubs, trees, blackberrys. Be care full and wear eye protection.
Cheers LL

Yes Mate .. The 'collateral damage' was a shocker though.
Very interesting thread this one .. Up here near the pointy bit, there's a huge problem with Rubber Vine and Prickly Acacia .. At least you can get to the base trunk of the buggers, unlike the the mat of growth that you've got to get through with bastard blackberry bush!
Good on you ... Maintain the rage my friend.

If you don't mind sprays, I use this mix to reduce a large blackberry down and spray with the better more expensive spray the next year.
Mix is 0.75 lt Glyoserphate, 100 ml wetting agent, dish soap, 0.3 lt Deisel, in 50 lts of water.
You have to spay backwards because it's very slippery, but it knocks down the main growth and you can get at the centre the next year.It kills every thing it hits though.

Latest posts