Warning about Oallen Forde

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see anywhere in the thread mention if this "newly posted" area had been promoted/advertised beforehand at all? Isn't it incumbent upon the relevant authority to post any Notification of Change to Purpose of Use of any designated areas prior to posting said Notices?

Also, if it has all been done by the book, how about all the users of the area Petition the local authority to reconsider their case, and suggest they perhaps introduce a Permit system as the basis of controlling the 'ferals'? This could also mean employment due to the need for regular inspections... ;)

My first thoughts when i saw that shiny new sign were A./ How long before it's peppered with bullet/shot holes, and B./ The Authority have now diseased that tree by using screws to mount it. What penalties exist for this currently?

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on this issue...fwiw.

Gypsy

Actually according to Crown Lands this has never been gazetted as a camping/recreation area so in this case Crown Lands are just merely enforcing what has always been.
Cheers
Barry

GypsyGoldAu said:
I didn't see anywhere in the thread mention if this "newly posted" area had been promoted/advertised beforehand at all? Isn't it incumbent upon the relevant authority to post any Notification of Change to Purpose of Use of any designated areas prior to posting said Notices?

Also, if it has all been done by the book, how about all the users of the area Petition the local authority to reconsider their case, and suggest they perhaps introduce a Permit system as the basis of controlling the 'ferals'? This could also mean employment due to the need for regular inspections... ;)

My first thoughts when i saw that shiny new sign were A./ How long before it's peppered with bullet/shot holes, and B./ The Authority have now diseased that tree by using screws to mount it. What penalties exist for this currently?

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on this issue...fwiw.

Gypsy

Ahhh, ok thanks for that bazza2210...i'm not familiar with the area or the local reg's allocated to that region.

Still....the idea about a petition still stands as valid imo.?

Gypsy

I personally see no problem with the sign other than the fact it's a bit silly of them to have screwed it to the tree.
It's quite simple really don't go four wheeling, trail bike riding light fires or set up tents in that area and don't cut trees down! It dose not at all state that we cannot prospect!
I would simply find a camp area near by where there is no signs saying no camping. At worst sleep in the car and if the ranger comes tell him you are simply resting before a long drive home and you should be ok.
If we all jump up and down with out using common sense the authorities may just come to the conclusion that we aren't able to follow simple rules and lock us all out completely.
Thanks Doug and bazza for your efforts in bringing light on the situation :)

So detecting/prospecting is still ok?
Just no camping as sign posted?? Sign has nothing about detecting/prospecting.....

I agree with previous posts, i try do the right thing wherever I go so I wont be camping... Kinda scares you off doing anything re fines/trouble.....

So detecting is still ok?

How would you explain to a ranger?

Thanks again.

I've been down there a few times on day trips recently. Each time there have been a few people camping on the gravel bar and on the other side of the road (opposite the old campground). I didn't see the signs but not sure if I just missed them, or somebody pulled them down.

Not saying it's legal, just reporting what I saw.

I believe it's still fine to prospect.

DirtyBob said:
I've been down there a few times on day trips recently. Each time there have been a few people camping on the gravel bar and on the other side of the road (opposite the old campground). I didn't see the signs but not sure if I just missed them, or somebody pulled them down.

Not saying it's legal, just reporting what I saw.

I believe it's still fine to prospect.

hi Bob

I emailed you a while back about the mesh, do you still need some ?

regards

Paul T

shivan said:
It is good to hear we should still be able to go for a dig out there, great work guys.

I can understand the need to do something about the idiot element out there, we have seen a fair bit of it. From motorcycle's spraying rocks at an elderly couples caravan, because they asked them not to drive so close to their site, to drunk yobbos in 4WD's trying to drive right up the middle of the river and people shooting up on the high terrace while drinking and partying. But I feel theses signs will just be trouble. What happens when and environmentalist or do-gooder calls to make a complaint when they have seen someone camping and digging because of the sign, even if the person was doing the right thing?
I agree Shivan & unless the rangers in NSW are a vastly different breed to those that I have encountered in Victorias goldfields odds are that prospectors are going to be given grief.
Im a bit gobsmacked that they would put up a sign stating no camping 4wding etc and then turn round and verbally advise to the contrary.

Be on your best behaviour and take notes & photos etc if challanged.

Latest posts