WalnLiz Gemstone and gold fossicking videos.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've used it many times over here in the East with success, mainly as an alternative to test panning on dry creek beds where water is a ways off.

Wal.

What a terrific video... Some of these things may be second nature to a few of us but this video is very informative of the basics to the novice and demonstrates a courteous attitude in regards to what a camp should look like when hitting the road again. Thank you for taking the time to make and share your videos, the generosity from what the two of you share is greater than the thanks you recieve. I really enjoy and appreciate them.

GaryO said:
Hey Wal
Just a query , when u found the spot in the video what was it that stood out to you to suggest it was ancient river wash ? I can see the difference in the gravel once you were digging it , but im sure like many I wouldn't have picked it up from walking past.
Was there anything else special about it , was there rock bar showing high on the bank or did the river show signs of being moved from where it once was ... or was the top layer different from other material around etc ?
I am absolutely amazed with your abilities so any tips would be greatly accepted :)

Gaz .

Streams vary significantly depending on whether they're in the highland country or lowland regions Gaz. Each type requires different strategies in determining where the best gold will be. All streams you're working these days are regarded as modern day streams, and as such what you're looking for is back eddies in what would be regarded as 100 plus year flood levels and not necessarily current inside bends.

A current inside bend is a good location for finer gold to be deposited as a flood recedes, but the back eddy of a "significant flood" will more often have the coarser gold deposit in an eddy below that current inside bend. When we refer to ancient wash, It shouldn't be confused with a prior position of the river being cut through by the current stream. What we refer to as ancient wash is a wash zone not often moved by massive floods and as such having the gravels compressed into an almost conglomerate state.

These compressed zones are more often than not half way between two bends and will generally be in the mid section of the river between those two bends. This may look like the straight section of the river if you're wandering down it, but in a massive flood it's the turning point of the water direction between the two bends in the river, and it's the inside bend of this turning point you're looking for.

Once these gravels cement themselves in this area, a modern day flood, even though they look aggressive, will only have the power to move wash over the cemented deposit, and deposit that gravel into the inside banks which are reshaped with every flood. The floods needed to remove the cemented wash zones may occur only once in a 1000 years or more.

The biggest problem for us these days is the "Old Timers" had first crack at these zones, and did a great job in cleaning up the whole zone. Fortunately they missed small pockets in their rush for the deepest of these zones and as such with diligent test panning one can still find small un-worked pockets.

They say gold is where you find it, but gravity and learning to understand flow directional change zones can narrow down the search area quite significantly....and then it comes down to calculated sinking of test holes...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose. ;) Best of luck out there.

Wal.

Thanks Guys.
I couldn't agree more with the solar panel. Both my batteries went flat ( i have one for accessories and one for the cranking of the car), as i left the car door open. went to take off and flat, in the middle of nowhere. Pluged the solar panel in and went detecting for an hour, came back and the car started. well worth it.
Saved me and my sons life. Middle of WA no phone etc is Bliss unless you get stuck.

Another great vid Wal n Liz. Wish I had that many hands to feed my Walbanker. Then again, that'd mean having to split the booty up more ways. ;)

Great video WalnLiz, looks like a fun day was had.
Thanks for posting, another quality video.

P.S. Please tell me that at 45sec into the video that the footage is mirrored, otherwise that motorcyclist would of had the fright of his life :lol:

Just thought I would let you guys know it was you guys who got me really keen on prospecting after seeing your great vids on youtube. Well done and keep up the great work.

ProspectorPete said:
Great video WalnLiz, looks like a fun day was had.
Thanks for posting, another quality video.

P.S. Please tell me that at 45sec into the video that the footage is mirrored, otherwise that motorcyclist would of had the fright of his life :lol:

Great pick up Pete. Liz used her phone for the vid and on editing flipped and rotated that bit accidentally. :8 What I should have said is that the vid was shot in the "States", ;) to throw off the real location of the "Forde"... :D

Wal.

Greglz86 said:
Looks like im getting a couple of mates from my hometown coming down to the tuena meet.
Guess what im getting them to do. ;)

Good idea Greg. We only went out for a few hours with the boys as they're new to prospecting and have never seen how a "Banker" works. The day was only and instructional day to show them how to pan, teach them some river reading techniques, and correct banker set ups. A great time was had by all and by the looks of it a new hobby is in the pipeline for all of them.

Good luck at the Tuena outing mate.

Wal.

bundyjd said:
Wal,

Are you still selling these through Detectaden?

Cheers,
JD

A few are available through Deteca Den mate, but numbers are limited as I don't get a lot of time to set them up lately.

Wal

Latest posts