Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been forced to downgrade the backdrop coin for my gold finds from 5 cents to a 3 pence,

On the bright side, at Hill End you get one for free with every 3 nugglets :cool:
1537510274_9e61d791-d726-43bf-a149-84061493bbf2.jpg

The spec on the left was a sun baker that caught my eye on flat open reef-shed ground and the spec on the right came from panning the dirt surrounding the nugglet above it.
1537510800_9bff17eb-1a88-4035-9e0b-933949023f8d.jpg

I had intended showing you the pan of gold that came from the crevice the larger nugglet came out of, but some Wally left his snuffer bottle beside the creek 8.( so you will need to live with a shot showing the crevice it was sitting in.....it was just under the leaf behind the nugget. It would have made an awesome golden crescent photo.
1537510710_951b0797-4f7a-48ee-b2a7-4f631715ff00.jpg

This photo shows the wash layer where the nugglets on the right were liberated from
1537511691_ea168441-76a2-47e8-81ed-a2feb0fc8bfa.jpg

My recent trip to Hill End was to satisfy a need to give the NoX a run on the trashy sites for some quality relics and see if it could lift a nugget or two.

I was mighty impressed with the NoX, although it produced no gold, relic hunting was so enjoyable that I had to remind myself to pack it away and get the SDC back out for a spin before the trip was done. The progressive stories of history gone past coming out of the ground along with a nice silver coin and a bucket list item made it one of my most memorable trips.

The Story Uncovered.......

The mountainous areas surrounding Hill End township are scattered with distinctive peppered white chunks of quartz or protruding reefs that shine hope into the eyes of the adventurous with a glint of wealth that is familiar to those that are gold fever affected. The landscape is soft on the eyes but harsh on feet, hooves and travelling gear. What undiscovered reef is in the next gully?

For the explorer, campsites can be a simple as finding a sizeable rock on the side of a mountain, weather and erosion invariably creates a couple of feet of flat ground on the downside just big enough to lay a swag. The cramped location means that buttons are often ripped off and saddlebags contents sometimes spill off the rock and fall in behind or roll down slope. Darn it, my musket balls have spilt down the hill. Where is my knife and fork? ... did I remember to pick it up off that rock before I left this morning?

More established hillside campsites have additional flagging stones rolled into place to widen platforms but if a prospect turns into a longer term proposition or sufficient daylight is afforded, better scouting of an area will uncover a hill top plateau, localised flat escarpments or even better a creek side elevated gradual hillside slope suitable for a diversion drain and level tent site, or perhaps enable a small shack with fireplace to be constructed.

Social amenity is important and the provision of a communal fireplace and that perfect flagging stone, butt-cheek wide is worth sourcing and laying around the open hearth of a fire. Two to five of these around a circular hearth-stone feature are a good indicator that a prospect deserved the effort of additional comfort.

A large tree is sometimes preserved for shade and to stack tools of the prospectors trade, sometimes all that remains is the scalloped shape of of the rootball where the tree was blown in a big storm decades ago. Where did I put that harmonica last night ?.. what about that broken shovel, pick or hammer, should we take it or leave it?....I cant find my belt Edward, have you seen it?.... and where is that chain ?

The carnage of a big night on the grog spills out around a campfire, or the reaching into pockets for the pipe leaves a trail. That three foot high rock 50m out is the perfect rest spot for my gear on and providing some discrete coverage when dealing with the effects of last nights beans. Darn, thats the second set of braces I have broken and I just popped another button. I wonder if the penny I had at last nights camp fell out when I took a crap?

Anyway......enough speculation, I uncovered the factual story of a man I call Tex.

Tex, an American, came to chase the gold, he was a strapping man who name was inspired by the way he dressed, particularly his small heeled riding boots and fancy spurs. He was accompanied by a modern rifle and lead ball revolver but had a hole in his ammunition pocket and was forever loosing unfired ammunition. If only he had not lost his thimble at the previous camp, he could have fixed that darn hole.

He had ridden into a large camp and was delighted to made a transaction for some sly grog but forgot about the hole in his pocket when he placed his remaining 3 pence into the ill fated pocket. A rowdy night ensued and he got forknhammered, and became legless, he also must have lost his shirt gambling. it was possibly his favourite shirt that he had when he fairwelled his homeland and during the course of his journeys had replaced every button with whatever he could get his hands on.

The proof is laid out below along with some other tools of the trade. It seems there was a softer side to the goldfields as well.

1537529402_6c9996ab-046f-4a8d-a833-ea63475b57ce.jpg

1537529432_d3169ab7-f5d0-4167-bdc1-5cf1bafb1cbf.jpg

1537529612_70bcd349-6805-40de-996f-6df02d24cf3a.jpg

A Sharp Eye and A Steady Hand ........ the story of the NoX is much like the old saying ........ to be continued with a bucket list item :inlove:

The front face is in the nugget photo a few posts back Smokey, finding my oldest coin is on my list, but I guess the mission still exists to find an older one. It is however, quite possibly, my oldest coin to date at 1843,; the year that the Battle of One Tree Hill was fought near Toowoomba.

Nice thought Heath, was thinking about the potential of the 3d being just as likely to be a sovereign. Will definitely need to take the NoX back for another holiday adventure. Loved how the NoX performed out on the goldfields, some of the camps are noisier than an inner city playground and fishing for high tones was a lot of fun.

As for the yet to be revealed bucket list item......... I will get some time tomorrow to clean it up and take a photo to share.

Wally69 said:
The front face is in the nugget photo a few posts back Smokey, finding my oldest coin is on my list, but I guess the mission still exists to find an older one. It is however, quite possibly, my oldest coin to date at 1843,; the year that the Battle of One Tree Hill was fought near Toowoomba.

Nice thought Heath, was thinking about the potential of the 3d being just as likely to be a sovereign. Will definitely need to take the NoX back for another holiday adventure. Loved how the NoX performed out on the goldfields, some of the camps are noisier than an inner city playground and fishing for high tones was a lot of fun.

As for the yet to be revealed bucket list item......... I will get some time tomorrow to clean it up and take a photo to share.

I always live in hope mate that one of us will get one oneday. Some lucky blooke on facebook got 2 x half sovs and a full sov in a coin spill at Windeyer the other day...... Always a chance hey.

Sandta said:
Oh man.... how will i sleep ? :rolleyes:

So sorry for your pain Sandta, its just not cricket.....or is it ???

I have decided to do a bit of research on the best way to clean it up, and if I should heat the metal to help get it back to original shape.......so, sleep well tonight.

A QUICK EYE.....A STEADY HAND
1537659563_1f269637-a7a8-4291-9166-2af3b9977a89.jpg

... said:
I always live in hope mate that one of us will get one oneday. Some lucky blooke on facebook got 2 x half sovs and a full sov in a coin spill at Windeyer the other day...... Always a chance hey.

a small tear rolled down my cheek when i heard about this :( 8.( still haven't seen the photo's ;)

Latest posts