WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the other end of the scale the nighttime temps can drop to below freezing and will turn your car into an icebox.
Jim

Back when I used to drink I lost a fair amount of brain cells at at the boulder block hotel. I often wonder, when I remember the boulder block, how easy it is for big companies to uproot history for profit, then I also rememebr living on greame st and walking through the nearby bushland dodging 2m wide holes in the ground, and I still wonder if houses have been built over them since. One swallows up buildings and the other is claimed by them and all at the behest of gold.

Sometimes we give a bit of information away but sometimes we try to cover our tracks.... O:)

1579182962_6g-1.jpg

This little tuft of grass gave up 6g. I tried to dig around it but the nugget was stuck in amongst the roots.. :(

1579183045_6g-2.jpg

I felt bad to be digging a tuft of grass out of the dry desert ground so I did my best to put it back again.. :|

1579183124_6g-3.jpg

Well it wasn't just me, I was made feel guilty for the environmental damage. Mrs M made sure it was all put back the way we found it .. :cool:

1579183247_6g4.jpg

It was a very good little patch and that was the only piece of vegetable matter disturbed so we went away quite happy in the end... :)

...and if you're looking for the spot we dug them out of you'd better bring a tracker ;)

Hi folks, just general advice needed re a good detector.

Reading other posts and from some basic research I see that a VLF is probably not best option in WA Goldfields and a PI detector is best.

Prob a dumb question but I assume a PI can also be used for general detecting....relics etc?

Penny said:
Hi folks, just general advice needed re a good detector.

Reading other posts and from some basic research I see that a VLF is probably not best option in WA Goldfields and a PI detector is best.

Prob a dumb question but I assume a PI can also be used for general detecting....relics etc?

Looks like your timing may be off a bit https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...old-prospecting-not-on-officials-say/12121014

With regard to PI detectors, they are unable to discriminate between different types of metals however they are able to handle the extreme mineralisation found in the gold fields, additionally, they are generally able to use a wides range of coils to cater for depth and nugget size. VLF detectors on the other hand are able to discriminate fairly well between different metals but cannot handle the mineralised soils very well.

G'day

Might be awhile until you are able to come over here as stated, the golds safe for now as none of us are able to get up there for a look either :mad: , as far as a detector goes a pi machine is definitely what you will need, if you are at some point going to spend the big bucks on fuel, setting up, supplies and so on to get here you don't want to go cheap on the detector or you will have little chance of getting any gold at all, these days its become hard even to do ok with a high end machine so the best you can afford and as long as its a pi machine and you have a far better chance.

The up side of the current situation is that you have time to wait and score a good detector, I predict that detector prices will start to drop fairly rapidly as many people are not able to use them and with job losses and so on many will sell them on as they will be needing the money, same as lots of other associated accessory items, I have noticed that some of the older pi machines are being advertised at very high prices at the moment because of the upcoming detecting season, but due to the virus situation it has all but died in the ass, most sellers will find that unless they get realistic about what they will take for them they simply wont sell them.

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks everyone for the info and advice, very much appreciated.

I'm not in a hurry especially given current restrictions and will aim for a good PI detector.

Hi,
In a few weeks I will be travelling back to Nth Qld through WA (Kalgoorlie, Leonora, Laverton) and Nth Territory, covid depending at this stage. I will have 3 maybe 4 days to do a bit of detecting. I was wondering if there are any pay to camp/detect properties in WA like Western Ck in Nth Qld. The whole Tengraph pending lease , form 40E thing is a bit confusing if you don't know the area. I see there are a few places that offer training and then access to leases but these don't suit my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G'day mlee,

You don't need to be paying for areas to prospect. Download 'Australian Geology Travel Maps' onto your phone.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of Leonora and go for it. If your not tech minded, then go to the mines dept here in town...ask them to print out a map.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of town and go for it! As long as you have your WA Miners Right your good to go. Also...if you stay at the caravan park I can almost guarantee that you'll meet up with someone and head out together.

I second Qlden's suggestion of Pirates Gold Prospecting Tours.

I have done a couple of camping tours with them which were very good.

Yep you can contact them via their FB page.

If you're heading across to the NT via the Great Central Road, you will love the trip. I did it a couple of years ago.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
G'day mlee,

You don't need to be paying for areas to prospect. Download 'Australian Geology Travel Maps' onto your phone.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of Leonora and go for it. If your not tech minded, then go to the mines dept here in town...ask them to print out a map.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of town and go for it! As long as you have your WA Miners Right your good to go. Also...if you stay at the caravan park I can almost guarantee that you'll meet up with someone and head out together.

You forgot,

To contact the pastorilist (station owner or manager) and let them know where you want to go. :D

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Goldtalk Leonora said:
G'day mlee,

You forgot,

To contact the pastorilist (station owner or manager) and let them know where you want to go. :D

Cheers

Doug

didnt forget....but was just giving the absolute basics to get him started. No, you do not have to contact the pastoralist....but it's a good courtesy.

Latest posts