WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call out from Aussie Gold Hunters - any full time prospectors up in the Pilbara and/or Kimberley?

Came across this info and i thought i would share. This is from the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 Page 47

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 Licensing of vehicles Part 2 Vehicle licence charges Division 7r. 75As at 01 Jul 2018 Version 01-c0-01 page 47

Vehicles used for prospecting The vehicle licence charge payable for a vehicle is reduced by 50% if the CEO is satisfied that the vehicle
(a) is owned by (i) a genuine prospector; or
(ii) a person (other than a company as defined in the
Corporations Act 2001 (Commonwealth)) who
searches for or produces metals or minerals from
land in which the person holds an interest;
and
(b) is to be used by that prospector or person exclusively or principally in connection with prospecting.

forum rules don`t allow me to post links (under 10 posts) however if someone over 10 wants to email me, link can be given and shared :cool:

Nightjar said:
Maybe wrong, but the said vehicles have to remain on the the minesite?
You can't go to Woolies/Coles for 9 months of the year and only spend the other 3 prospecting.

Not saying your wrong but i read it as
(ii) other than a company- individuals like WestOzAdventures crew and the like
(b) connection with prospecting - I was thinking (grey nomads) caravaners touring around prospecting, i think would qualify
plus etc :D

Nightjar said:
Maybe wrong, but the said vehicles have to remain on the the minesite?
You can't go to Woolies/Coles for 9 months of the year and only spend the other 3 prospecting.
Nah Pete....just show your miners right. We do it here and I think Goldchaser does it. He posted this a while back

Hello all, I'm planning my next trip and I'm applying for a 40e permit, so obviously I want to maximise where I use those 10 blocks (plus my time is limited)

I'm looking at a location with a run of old workings following a line of green stone and my target area is Aci running through Czl about 300 metres from the line of workings. There's also a few lines of chert running through the area as well as mafic and felsic intrusions with the lines of chert bordering them.

I've been researching the area and the old timers were chasing quartz veins which were described as very rich at the surface but poor down at depth, which probably explains why there's been no modern mining.

I think it looks like a good place to detect, my only hesitation is that some of this sits on a different band of bedrock and the old timers have only followed one of the bedrock bands, does this likely mean the other bands of bedrock although they look good are barren? Or would they still hold good potential for detecting?

I'm trying to think like a gold nugget, but my natural tendency to over analyse is getting in the way :argh:

Definately worth a look Tim! Not much of an answer I'm sorry, but I'm no Geo.
Infact not being a Geo has helped me in the past as I've found good patches where a Geo probably wouldn't have bothered to look.

Yeah, it doesn't take a large geological feature for it to be worth while to a hobby detector. The $90 fee and the restrictions of the 40e system kind of fight the process a bit as geology doesn't fit into nice squares. There's a cream looking spot that's about 200 metres out
I found it amusing going through the online permit application this morning that it warned me there was already a 40e permit on this tenement - as if to say you're not alone out there buddy!

Perth Tim said:
Yeah, it doesn't take a large geological feature for it to be worth while to a hobby detector. The $90 fee and the restrictions of the 40e system kind of fight the process a bit as geology doesn't fit into nice squares. There's a cream looking spot that's about 200 metres out
I found it amusing going through the online permit application this morning that it warned me there was already a 40e permit on this tenement - as if to say you're not alone out there buddy!
That warning is a good idea.

I remember a few years back now when a bloke with a 40E almost came to blows with another bloke with a 40E on the same lease.
He believed his 40E gave him sole rights to the ground and even threatened Police and Lawyers

madtuna said:
Perth Tim said:
That warning is a good idea.

I remember a few years back now when a bloke with a 40E almost came to blows with another bloke with a 40E on the same lease.
He believed his 40E gave him sole rights to the ground and even threatened Police and Lawyers

Haha, $25 bucks for sole mineral rights over 10 graticular blocks. Would be a bargain if true.

Hello everybody !

I am planning a trip in WA and I would like you to confirm my finds about the right period of the year to go there.

I found that there is gold to be find in the Goldfields (around Kalgoorlie) and in Pilbara (around Nullagine) (I don't know where to prospect yet but I have heard that these area are the best to detect, right?)

For Goldfields the best months seem to be : March / April / May and September / October / November

For Pilbara the best months seem to be : June / July / August

I selected those months as the temperature don't go above 30C and don't get to low (can go to 10C though). I plan to detect during the day and camp in my car the night if I am in remote area.

Do you think it is right ? Do you have any comments/advice ?

Thank you ;)

1x emergency beacon and tell someone where your going even if its the local coppers put it on paper in a envelope with name and num of your and next of kin

Joffrey said:
I found that there is gold to be find in the Goldfields (around Kalgoorlie) and in Pilbara (around Nullagine) (I don't know where to prospect yet but I have heard that these area are the best to detect, right?)

For Goldfields the best months seem to be : March / April / May and September / October / November

I selected those months as the temperature don't go above 30C and don't get to low (can go to 10C though). I plan to detect during the day and camp in my car the night if I am in remote area.

If you think that Goldfields temperatures don't go above 30C during March/April and September/October/November, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise! I suspect you've looked at BoM statistics showing mean (average) temperatures, without considering that those numbers include both higher and lower figures. Personally, I lived in Kal for 17 years and I've experienced up to the high 40's during November!

Actual highest temperatures for Kalgoorlie during those months last year were as follows:
March 2018 = 37.5C
April 2018 = 36C
September 2018 = 33.8C
October 2018 = 33.4C
November 2018 = 36.9C

Here's the actual daily temps for 2018 from the BoM, with days above 30C highlighted:
1565651600_kalg_temps_2018.jpg

Good reply from Grubstake.

And make sure you have the necessary permits to prospect there, or the Gold Stealing Detection Unit will get you!
It's not a place to just show up and start prospecting - there are processes to go through for permits first.

Cheers,
Megsy

Thank's Flatlander

Thank you Grubstake for your complete answer. What are the months preferred by prospector to detect ?

Do not worry MegsyB007 I am aware (think so?) of the regulations in WA. I need a Miner's Right, then 40E for Exploration Lease, an autorisation of the company for a mining lease (as for exploration lease) and I need to inform the pastoralist for pending and pastural lease.

Joffrey said:
Thank you Grubstake for your complete answer. What are the months preferred by prospector to detect ?

Generally, May to August/September in the southern goldfields area - Kalgoorlie/Leonora/Laverton, etc. Starting earlier/finishing later than that is possible if conditions are right, but can often get pretty uncomfortable too.

Camping out of a car isn't going to offer you much shelter when it gets hot and the bush fly hordes will make life a misery until daytime temperatures fall below 20C. Outback WA is a harsh environment - don't underestimate how physically and mentally challenging heat/cold/wind/dust/isolation can be.

Latest posts