WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren from Gold & Relics comes highly recommended :)
Also, Mark & Rhonda at Gold Prospecting Australia have a good reputation.

Based on personal experience, one to avoid would be C.G.S. Steer clear of him.....

Cheers

Do I have to summit a Section 40E Permit on Pending Mining Lease as well as Granted Mining Leases ?If I don't then How do I know when The Pending mining Lease gets granted ? :)

No 40E required on pending ground Colmaca but are required on exploration licenses. Granted mining leases require written permission from the leaseholder. Also the pastoralists should be notified where and when you will be in all cases.
Pending leases can remain pending for well over twelve months.
Cheers

Hi Colmaca, as Coota said there is no 40E required if a tenement is pending. I suggest you check on Tenegraph as close as you can prior to arriving on the pending lease to make sure has not gone live. You can call the Mines Registrar (or drop in) if you don't have internet access and they will give you updated info. The Mines Registrar will also give you pastoralist details.

40 E is only for exploration leases.
Pending leases of any type are available for detecting on, however if it is a pending "mining" lease it is probably over an already granted lease so it is not available for detecting. Sounds odd I know but that is how it works.
Check Tengraph before going on any lease. The colour code is blue for pending, green for live/active and black for vacant land. With a pending claim over an existing lease the area is cross hatched. In this case the underlying lease is active and therefore you can't go on it without the leaseholders permission.

Pastoralist permission is not required to access a lease. You are, however, required to make reasonable attempts to notify the pastoralist of your intention to go onto tenements.
It is sensible to let the pastoralist know where you are but some pastoralists are demanding all sorts of things that are not legally required.

If you join APLA the latest newsletter has contact details for the DMP's liason officer. He is helpful and very experienced in dealing with all matters pertaining to the Mining Act. Also membership gives you public liability insurance for your prospecting.

PM me if you need help with Tengraph or pastoralist stuff.

Seems this time of the year a lot if not most of the blokes doing Victorian Gold Tours [ack up shop and head to WA to do gold prospecting trips over there at anything from around $1500 to $4500

Always wanted to go myself and was thinking why do a tour in WA with someone from Victoria ......
Wouldn't it make sense to book a trip with someone in/from the actual WA goldfields, surely they have better intel/info than someone from Vic.??

Anyone know if there are WA tour operators??

Cheers T.

ps That goes for NSW and Qld as well, surely the locals know best.

People will always travel if there is money to be made.

I checked out some of the WA operators and to me their prices were ridiculous. One operator (maybe more) has a system where he lets you keep the first few ounces then takes a percentage of the rest on a sliding scale. He makes it sound like you will find kilos of the stuff but when I asked for references and photos of clients finds the best he could come up with was a couple of grams. I have also heard that some of them use their clients as patch finders and if you are lucky enough to find something they immediately take you off to another area.

One thing that put me off is everyone has to blow their whistle when they make a find. At the end of the trip, all the finds were divided evenly among the group. This was a review about a WA tour. The guide took a gps reference of every find, and sometimes moved the group to a different area just after a find......

Hi Teemore
I did a trip with Gold Relics (Darren Kampe) he has been going to Wa for many years I think 20 plus and has a very good knowledge of many areas. I found that going on a tour (all inclusive) was best for me. Darren took us to several different spots and we all found some gold on the trip (best total was about 24 grams) i found about 5 grams.

While the gold did not come close to paying for the trip I believe the experience was worth it as at that time I had just started out.

There were 8 of us on the trip ( plus Darrens helpers) Darren and his buddy did not detect they assisted everyone and made sure we did not get lost but found some gold.

It is in his best interest for everyone to find gold, preferably lots, as this is his best form of advertising.

I am a fan and would do it again if I got the chance as it was a great week with knowledge sharing and just a great bunch of like minded people.

You got to keep your gold and we went back to where the best gold was found

Bob

Magilla said:
People will always travel if there is money to be made.

I checked out some of the WA operators and to me their prices were ridiculous. One operator (maybe more) has a system where he lets you keep the first few ounces then takes a percentage of the rest on a sliding scale. He makes it sound like you will find kilos of the stuff but when I asked for references and photos of clients finds the best he could come up with was a couple of grams. I have also heard that some of them use their clients as patch finders and if you are lucky enough to find something they immediately take you off to another area.

I think I know the jokers your talking about, same ones that reckon the atx is good :lol:

Most tour operators over here run similar to what maxwell4 experienced. Blokes like Darren Kemp and other interstate tour operators usually have locals helping out and giving up to date info, there not just mates along for the fun.

The comments about being disgruntled about giving cords to your finds is the reason why most access applications are rejected. Basically all the ground here is pegged, so when granted access its a priviledge not to be abused. Most lease holders only ask for locations of where you found gold as a condition of entry so they can go investigate, if you are unwilling (or untruthful, they will know) to do the right thing then your better of staying at home.

Regarding the tours , your better of doing a 2-3 training session with someone like Goldtalk Leonora, they teach you how to go find it yourself, gain perission etc. Then you go out by yourself and dont have to detect with 20 other people :eek:

ILikeGold said:
Regarding the tours , your better off doing a 2-3 training session with someone like Goldtalk Leonora, they teach you how to go find it yourself, gain permission etc. Then you go out by yourself and dont have to detect with 20 other people :eek:

Now the above makes sense. Make your own way over here and not pay tag along fees.
Who was or maybe he still is, "The prospectors friend" who slugged the East side of the Rock residents $1200+ just to tag along behind him to get from East to West???
Damn pity there are no road signs to guide the East West travel????

If your well set up go it alone, don't camp in towns, do the hard yards, even if you don't get all that lucky you will be lucky because of the experience..get out in the bush .camp in the bush, and the rewards will come..and use at least a 2300,4500 ,5000, 7000..or all lol..

I agree with you Baldy, I am doing the hard yards, have spent the last 3 months learning Tengraph/Mindexc etc using Google Earth and any other resources I can get my hands on, I have picked my spots completed my 40E's contacted PL holders and am ready to go. I will be running solo self sufficient in the bush for 10 weeks cant wait what an experience.

I'm in Perth for the week with a hire car and a spare day on Monday/Tuesday,and was thinking of hiring a detector and heading to the nearest goldfields.I haven't done a lot of research but would appreciate any advice on general areas on the western edge of the gold areas .If I don't go this time I will when I'm here next which will be a month or two away.i will also do more research before then.I had a macro gr so have experience with that but thinking now of buying a 2300 for use over here as I'm here pretty often.
Thanks Mick

Latest posts