WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the replies, we really are looking forward to the time over in WA. As you said Nightjar, lots & lots of research to do yet, I have a couple of places (Cue, Kalgoorlie, Sandstone) that I need to find out a bit more (okay, a lot more!!) about. Will keep reading and researching and at this stage although I am impatient I am glad I have 18 months to figure it out a bit better. Have to be pleased that over this last 2 weeks I have been able to at least get to Whipstick, Maryborough, Goldsborough and even had a quick look at St Arnaud. Not about to retire on the results but enjoyed the break away.

Hello to all, hope that I am in the right place for this. We have just returned to Victoria (cold & wet) after taking a 2 month break to WA. Our big lifetime adventure that we have looked forward to for a verrry long time. We travelled to Kalgoorlie, spent time there and then to Leonora, Sandstone, Meekatharra, Nullagine, Marble Bar and Broome, (did a bit of back and forth but that was basically it). The honest truth of it is that goldwise it was a disaster, vehicle wise was as bad, if not worse. There are 2 very major things that came from this trip, the country, the scenery.......absolutely world class and DRAMATIC. It is not the sort of flat and bare country that would suit everyone but we found it breathtaking, it changes from moment to moment, flat to hills, just really wonderful. If you think that you maybe would like it, then you will love it for life! The other thing was that NEVER lose faith in people, the Western Australians that we met have been real, warm, friendly and caring.......and that is the mildest thing I can say.............As I said, we had bad vehicle trouble in Marble Bar, these people reached out and gave us every bit of help that they possibly could, above and beyond what anyone would expect, I cannot thank or praise them enough. We had further trouble in Kalgoorlie, when I rang ahead to book into the Goldminer Caravan Park, they knew we were going to be late and went to the trouble of bringing us a bite to eat, when our 4wd was in the garage they offered to take us into town if we needed anything, these are great people, who helped for the sake of helping, our heartfelt thanks to Pete and Jeanette for looking after us. Even on the way home we had more trailer trouble and the people in the garage at Norseman did not just do the job but did their best to get us going with minimum fuss. So all in all, could not find much gold on the ground, but gold aplenty in the people we met and the country we saw, cannot wait to get back there again. To anyone thinking of going to WA, while you are looking for gold, see the great scenery and say G'day to some of the best people you will ever meet......Ray and Kris

I'm looking to get over to WA next year around June or July to do some prospecting. Has anyone been on a prospeting tour in WA and got any recommendations for tour companies? Or is there any other groups that go there where I could tag along?
It would be my wife and myself both in our early fifties and we have a 4 x 4 and will have all the gear required.

Hi wooly see a few tours advertising and I am sure they are all pretty good. There area a few from the east as well that may be worth a look.

In general though as long as you know where you are going, tenement wise. Then the rest is ok. Even based from the towns and head out on day treks is popular and I know of people finding plenty of gold this way.

Stick to tracks and you are pretty right, just watch out for the sharp rocks they shred tyres, also a few tree stakes can have a nasty effect. So know how to change a spare and all the usual stuff you should be all right. If you are within the major town boundaries you will get some phone reception, I was with Telstra and had intermittent signals across various places.

If you are looking anywhere general post up and I may be able to be a bit more specific. Keep an update going best of luck.

Thanks for the reply Westaus,

I know of a few tour companies over here on the east coast but I have been warned off of one of them and the other is fully booked already..
I will start looking for local WA tour operators. I really would prefer to go with a group or at least one other vehicle just for safety reasons. I'm was thinking of Halls creek area but it will depend on how much time I want to spend prospeting verses time driving.

Wooly

Unless you already have one, your first port of call should be a Mining Registrar Office to purchase your Miners Right.(if you are traveling across the Nullabor then Norseman is the easiest. From the top of WA you would have to go to Marble Bar or Karratha)
The Registrar will then provide you with a raft of information including how to apply for a Sect 40a permit etc. to detect on available ground.

Tour operators will also provide good information and from what I have been told most are good value for money.

Unless you are familiar with the area, Halls Creek, Marble Bar, Nullagine can be difficult. The rough, harsh country around those places is most unforgiving and the spinifex can make detecting nigh impossible. (always where it looks the best ground!)

One thing you will have, is an interesting and enjoyable trip.
Mike

Hey wooly, I agree with boobooks comments regarding mining registrar. This is critical and a very easy process. Plus it is for life as well at this stage and for a few dollars is very good value.

That area is very picturesque but it is very unforgiving and hard to work. I was up there in November having a look around, I had been up there several times but not with a prospectors eye, like I do now with everywhere I go :) Personally I think there is an absolute bucket of gold still in that region, the issue is finding it, the spinifex and other various grasses were very thick and close together, even the best detectorist would probably only cover 40% of the ground per metre due to scrub.

Then you have the issue of snakes ! with that much grass they had to be out and about around this area, so be very very cautious and make a lot of racket heavy feet etc...

Good luck with finding a tour, I would take people out as I am confident of bringing them back, just not overly confident of being able to put people on the gold, can't seem to do that myself haha :8

As mentioned a caravan park is full of people that would be willing to have you tag along etc... Once you are comfortable you can stay a night or two or three out in the bush and come back to the park for a shower and re-stock supplies. Little trips out don't have to be in the middle of nowhere, I have seen recent finds within common grounds still being made. These are all within 10k's of know towns in open areas to detect.

In saying that if you have concerns, which you do then a tour is the best option for sure. If you don't feel safe in what your doing then you are going to worry, if you worry then your mind is not on the job of prospecting ! It is definitely rugged and definitely tough out there and people do end up meeting their maker, but with proper preparation and the right equipment (GPS, PLB, Sat Phone etc ?) communication with people on where and when you will be at place, means you can have a good trip and be safe.

It is well worth the effort for if you enjoy the bush there is none finer than a night under the West Australian bush skies they are spectacular.

Also remember if you do get stuck the golden rule is "STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE"

Westaus

Hey guy's thanks for all the great advice. I will have to start doing a bit more research on the area's and work out just where we will go and perhaps as you say hook up with some other prospectors when we are over there.
I will also start looking a bit harder at the local tour guides at the same time.

Wooly

Hi everyone:)
In the coming month I have scored a few weeks leave from work, so decided a ramble though the outback was in order:)
I will be travelling from Perth through to Alice Springs, via Leonora and the Outback Highway, and realised it was probably worth packing the detector in the fourby.
However, as a Victorian, I have very little knowledge of detectable areas out west and was hoping to tap the vast knowledge of my fellow forum members regarding potential detecting spots along the way:)
I understand that in the general vicinity of Leonora there are good gold producing areas, and would be appreciative of any info that would point me in the right direction out there, and if anyone knows other spots along the way I'd love to hear about it:)
(Naturally I don't expect to be given directions to anyone's top producing patches, just after info to get me in the ballpark)

Also, regarding a miners right, is it just a matter of visiting the local Mining authority and purchasing like in Vic?

Any info on the road through to Alice would be greatly appreciated too:)

Many Thanks to you all
Stu

G,day smokey,
I went over to coolgardie, kal, early last year and I was a bit in the same boat. I joined , by the net, the Coolgardie gem & minerals club. From memory it was only $20 or $30 bucks. The old bloke Peter I think in Coolgardie was very helpful. They have access to quite a few leases and he's good on a Mud map. Web site link below
http://myweb.westnet.com.au/ausgold1/
The leases are around Coolgardie and Kal. I had good luck around the ora Banda area.
Yes you just pick up a Miners Right at dept mines & petroleum
Cheers
Mark

We started out with no idea. We bought Doug Stones gold map book of WA for about $100. It's got really lousy navigation aids and will aim to get you lost so don't trust the maps too much but it got us to some patches where we found gold. The book ended up being good value because we found enough to pay for it ten times over and I doubt we'd have found much without it.

Ah yes, Doug Stone maps:) I know what you mean about navigation troubles. I have used them in Vic and found them good as a starting point. I will have a look at the WA ones for sure. Good work on the gold finds!
Thanks guys!

Hi all. I'm thinking about saving up for a WA prospecting trip. Any reviews on some reputable gold tour businesses would be much appreciated. I don't know anything about the gold bearing areas so I would much prefer to go along and with someone that has knowledge of the state first. Any info would be great crew.

Cheers Col 8)

Latest posts