VLF In Hot Ground Areas?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Peter Diggins
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone uses a VLF in the hot mineralised ground such as WA. Are they completely useless?
I'm asking as a newbie as I can't find much about it.
Thanks all.

From my experience, yes, they are pretty much useless. You have to turn my equinox down to dumb as f*c# settings to get it to run quietly. Seems that vlf hasn't been able to descriminate between hot ground and gold as yet. It's better with a small coil but I'd still get out the PI Detector 9 times out of 10 if I was lookin for gold in hot ground.

VLF's were used to find gold here & elsewhere, and did so, before PI's hit the scene., & they still can, but in hot ground they can drive you nuts with frustration.
There is a raft of new generation VLF's aimed specifically at gold, such as the Gold Bug, Makro Gold Kruzer, Gold Monster etc, & in the right circumstances they too will find gold, but they too can still drive you nuts.
PI's were developed for good reason, but playing with a VLF can still be fun if just for the challenge :goldnugget: :p
also keep in mind that there are VLF's designed primarily for coin/jewellery/relic hunting, that happen to have a gold mode
and there are VLF's designed for gold hunting (as mentioned above) that can also be used for other stuff, but all are compromises

G'day

Some people did very well in the goldfields in the early vlf detector days and most of the reason was that a lot of the gold was very close to the surface, a vlf detector will still get gold if you are persistent enough and will still find a virgin patch with shallow or surface gold, but you will definitely walk over more gold than you will find as they simply don't have the depth range of the pi machines, I have found dozens of virgin patches that contained good gold but almost all were out of the depth range of any vlf detector.

Also since the introduction of the vlf detectors there have been hundreds of makes and models of detector combing the known gold bearing areas, and then they have been pounded by many pi models as well, for the most part all there is left is very deep stuff and very small stuff, as most of the easy to find nuggets are long gone, these days we are pretty much scraping up the dregs in a lot of places.

If you want to get consistent gold then a pi detector is the way to go and probably the best detector I have used for this is the sdc2300, sure its bread crumbs but at the end of the day but it all adds up and its the right colour, having a pi detector is handy to work junky areas or if you want to chase some coins and relics but in no way would I be travelling the distance I do and work the ground with less than the most capable machines, as most people will attest to its definitely getting harder to get any gold at all now from most places so it quite easily can become an issue of the cost of the hobby outweighing the benefits, I have seen many long time detectorists giving the hobby away over the last few years for this reason alone.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
G'day

Some people did very well in the goldfields in the early vlf detector days and most of the reason was that a lot of the gold was very close to the surface, a vlf detector will still get gold if you are persistent enough and will still find a virgin patch with shallow or surface gold, but you will definitely walk over more gold than you will find as they simply don't have the depth range of the pi machines, I have found dozens of virgin patches that contained good gold but almost all were out of the depth range of any vlf detector.

Also since the introduction of the vlf detectors there have been hundreds of makes and models of detector combing the known gold bearing areas, and then they have been pounded by many pi models as well, for the most part all there is left is very deep stuff and very small stuff, as most of the easy to find nuggets are long gone, these days we are pretty much scraping up the dregs in a lot of places.

If you want to get consistent gold then a pi detector is the way to go and probably the best detector I have used for this is the sdc2300, sure its bread crumbs but at the end of the day but it all adds up and its the right colour, having a VLF detector is handy to work junky areas or if you want to chase some coins and relics but in no way would I be travelling the distance I do and work the ground with less than the most capable machines, as most people will attest to its definitely getting harder to get any gold at all now from most places so it quite easily can become an issue of the cost of the hobby outweighing the benefits, I have seen many long time detectorists giving the hobby away over the last few years for this reason alone.

cheers

stayyerAU

A quick edit to correct your typo :D

yeah this is true of the known historic gold areas most people just goto where others have found gold and i dont think this is a good idea as its mostly all gone. you need to find your own new area to find large amounts

l swung a Ground Hog in WA in the early 80's for only relics but lotsa fun....
lent it to a mate in VIC and she found a fair bit.

Latest posts