Victorian High Country Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, Let us know if your planning another trip up that way. Always have work commitments on a Friday and Saturday but can usually get away any other day of the week. Got 2' lift, muddies, winch ect. Plan on heading into the Woods Point area every 2 - 4 weeks so if anyone wants to meet up. Mainly do detecting but dont mind using the highbanker or pan as well. Have a lot of books and maps of that area also. Im based in Gippsland.

casper said:
Occasional_panner said:
Nup, I'll have to show you some new spots.(re woods pt)

It'd be great to link up sometime, 12 months ago I sleuthed out the location of and visited the site of Brooklyn Town and got some nice gold but the real gold there are the Goulburn Spiney Freshwater Crayfish - yum.

casper
Hey Casper, that would be great to see the old history there, have you got any photo's?

Jin said:
Hi Guys, Let us know if your planning another trip up that way. Always have work commitments on a Friday and Saturday but can usually get away any other day of the week. Got 2' lift, muddies, winch ect. Plan on heading into the Woods Point area every 2 - 4 weeks so if anyone wants to meet up. Mainly do detecting but dont mind using the highbanker or pan as well. Have a lot of books and maps of that area also. Im based in Gippsland.
No worries Jin, you could always come up Sat night and do some prospecting Sunday.

Ah well Mr. Occasional, it was all due to one of those strange things we call a woman :p . I stayed, she didn't, but nevermind, them things happen. But much and all as I love that high country, don't think I could ever go back to Vic. Anyway, found another one of them woman people and we are married 34 years tomorrow. Actually first moved to Brisbane area when I cam up here,but have now moved another 300+k to the NW. Got ourselves a little retirement farm and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The first time we saw the place, we wanted to tell the then owner to bugger off, this is ours.

But strangely enough there are some old minor diggings around us, and about 80-100k back towards Brisbane we found an old gold field. Mapped it all and got some colour from it so must get back and explore one old mine in particular. It is the only shaft still existing that hasn't been filled in. The old miner was pulling 2oz/ton and he was digging by hand, burning his quartz, and them crushing by hand. So I reckon it's at least worth a decent look.

Yeah not a problem Occasional. Guess you know how it is when you stumble over something like this, you sorta want to keep it a bit secret, even though the info is all on the web if you know where to look for it. But I will let you know.

I kind of like looking at the old historical things more than finding gold, recording and documenting these things is important, (even if you don't want to release it now)

Occasional_panner said:
casper said:
Occasional_panner said:
Nup, I'll have to show you some new spots.(re woods pt)

It'd be great to link up sometime, 12 months ago I sleuthed out the location of and visited the site of Brooklyn Town and got some nice gold but the real gold there are the Goulburn Spiney Freshwater Crayfish - yum.

casper
Hey Casper, that would be great to see the old history there, have you got any photo's?

Re Brooklyn Town unfortunately there is absolutely nothing remaining not even a historic place marker when I was there a year ago.

1475925535_screen_shot_2016-10-08_at_9.17.46_pm.jpg

cheers ... casper

Well there are plenty of reefs that were discovered on the surface, all the alluvial has been worked pretty good, but I would assume the hills contain plenty the old timers didn't get as they could only use a monitor when they got enough pressure, and those mountains are pretty high, so the upper reaches probably never saw any monitor work (high pressure jet that washes the surface dirt down to the creek for sulicing) Some of it is 45-60deg so bloody hard to navigate around though.

Hey guys, we are currently planning a bit of a fly fishing/camping trip from Jamieson to Grant Historic area then down to Dargo, Im having trouble finding places that I could legally detect on my trip, it seems sad being in the mountains and not being able to have a detect but would this be the case? There seems to be a little bit of crown land right around Dargo (though it appears most of the rivers are no go zones too), but not much in between?
Also is it okay to search for coins & relics in the National parks instead of gold or no detecting at all? Sorry if these are silly questions I have only been out once Smile
Thanks
Ian

Filthgrinder said:
Hey guys, we are currently planning a bit of a fly fishing/camping trip from Jamieson to Grant Historic area then down to Dargo, Im having trouble finding places that I could legally detect on my trip, it seems sad being in the mountains and not being able to have a detect but would this be the case? There seems to be a little bit of crown land right around Dargo (though it appears most of the rivers are no go zones too), but not much in between?
Also is it okay to search for coins & relics in the National parks instead of gold or no detecting at all? Sorry if these are silly questions I have only been out once Smile
Thanks
Ian

Filthgrinder did you end up finding out anymore about this? Im a nebie and head up that way a bit and I too am really confused about where i can legaly detect.

Latest posts