Victorian High Country Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had success in the rivers and creeks of the Victorian High Country? Say out Licola/Jamieson/Mt Baw Baw way?

Think you will find most of the area up there out of bounds.
National park. Covers a lot of that area.
South of baw baw there is plenty of placers you can go.

I think there was some gold producing areas that way but don't quote me on that. There are some really good online research tools you can use to find out, trove is one example. Like XIV said, if its in a national park or the river is exempted then you wont be able to prospect there, for all other places go for it, you never know what you may find!

Hey guys,
looking at doing a high country trip 15/16 Oct at woods point. It's a fair drive, (2 1/2 hrs for me) so an overnight camp is sensible.
You will need a 4wd (low range req'd not an SUV) with a snorkel and preferably a 2in lift.

Damn! - I'm already committed that weekend otherwise I'm in need of a reason to get back up there. Just a note... there are still seasonal closures in place on some tracks up there and the rivers and creeks are at seasonal highs. My not much younger brother (and i'm 62) lives up that way and has a well set up 4WD and half a lifetime worth of experience in the high country and last week on his way into the popular Comet Flat Camp Ground from WP decided not to chance the last crossing across the Goulburn River before the camp ground and turned back. Although a little busy at times Knockwood is one of our favourite camp sites. As you'd no doubt be aware the Goulburn River and Gaffney's Creek are off limits for gold prospectors.

casper

Yes Casper, I'm aware of those limits on the rivers, and seasonal closures, there are a few nice little spots to go though. Last week I went through all the crossings through to the woods point hilton hut up johnson track and visited the sir john franklin mine site, the goulburn is up high, it went up to my windscreen but it was fine to cross with a snorkel. Those levels should be half that now, but I always warn people to have a snorkel, because if you go too deep without one bye bye engine. A mate who lives in woods told me they had 70mm on sunday night, so those crossings would have been impassable from sun night to prob Tues. Being so high up and almost the start of the river it clears very well after a couple of days without rain. So hopefully weekend after next it should be nice, I'm only looking at side creeks anyway.

Hey Casper I'll be going up to Talbotville in Nov (north of dargo), the crooked is off limits but there are a few areas to look at.

Ah fellow gold seekers. You bring back many memories, I used to live up in the high country and have spent many hours, weeks, whatever, exploring that glorious country. But sounds like a lot has changed since my day. No restrictions on anything back then. And to top it off, if you liked trout fishing, you couldn't find a better place.

Occasional_panner said:
Nup, I'll have to show you some new spots.(re woods pt)

It'd be great to link up sometime, 12 months ago I sleuthed out the location of and visited the site of Brooklyn Town and got some nice gold but the real gold there are the Goulburn Spiney Freshwater Crayfish - yum.

casper

Phoenix76 said:
Ah fellow gold seekers. You bring back many memories, I used to live up in the high country and have spent many hours, weeks, whatever, exploring that glorious country. But sounds like a lot has changed since my day. No restrictions on anything back then. And to top it off, if you liked trout fishing, you couldn't find a better place.
Now (as your fellow Queenslander would say) Please explain!!!! why did you move to QLD from the promised land?? Please explain!

Latest posts