Victorian Government Response to Victorian Environmental Assessment Councils (VEAC) Investigation into additional prospecting areas in parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tip is to support the PMAV with active membership and get the ear of your Vic MP. Pick up the phone. Write them a letter. Venting on the forum will not change a thing.

Despite the optimism of Golddig@ this is without doubt a kick for sluicers in Victoria and shows that the Greenies have more pull then Goldies. Having a stacked committee has not helped. But neither does apathy or lack of involvement by many prospectors who do not support the PMAV with membership and moan if there are negative changes. Let's put the future in our own hands. If you are serious about change you need to work within the system otherwise you will be ignored. Look what the Greenies have been able to achieve!

It is also a warning to all prospectors to do the right thing because Green Brother is watching what you do. Take out your rubbish. Fill in your holes. Be conscientious citizens in the field.

I sometimes wonder if all the public forum discussion and flagilation about isolated people misbehaving contributes to lack of confidence in overall claims by prospectors. Food for thought.

I use a metal detector so this change is not a particular problem for me. But I recognize it as a reduction in rights and freedoms for prospecting overall. I think sluicing is fine if you stick to the rules for it.

Hard to put a positive spin on this one. "New" areas is not an extension of existing areas, but existing areas (yes national parks only at this point) is now going to pans and handtools, and detectors. This sort of proposal is how it starts. Anyway I'm upset because i currently go into two national parks which have areas to prospect in, and i do have other options if i want to use a banker or sluice or trommel, but here's what i am concerned about. If in the review they find that these areas are better off without the equipment being used in there (call it less impact) its a slippery slope for other areas that are not National parks. I for one think a few group outings during the review time with some publicly reported summaries might just get the attention it needs, if we all let this pass quietly and leave the areas well I'd say they would consider widening the restrictions.

lee panhead said:
G'day E/C do all these changes mean there is no point in building a high banker or is that just for the new areas ?

hi lee, I truly hope not! It does read that this may be the case, or at the very least be subject to review. I will try and email some contacts and see whether this can be clarified.

This is not a doom and gloom thread designed to dishearten people, just ensure people are aware we are under the spotlight and need to promote respect in the community for prospectors everywhere.

Thanks casper, and everyone else promoting the PMAV.

dwt said:
G0lddigg@ said:
look guys its not great news but surely not a surprise. were talking about national parks not state parks this just brings us in line with every other state in australia. the very definition of a national park is a park reserved for conservation.

most prospectors I know work on crown land not in national parks, im not even allowed to drive into a national park with my dog in the car whats the chances of them letting us dig it up. mind u my 4wd does a fair bit digging in national parks. :)

seriously thought there's so many places to prospect that wont be effected by this legislation. for example creswick state park there's years worth of prospecting out there

Only 6 months ago i was prospecting in a state forest thats within 2km of my house,i noticed some water jerries on the side of the road,what caught my attention was a young man sitting in a chair no more than 50mt of the edge of the dirt road,being of an inquisitive nature i stopped and asked him what he was up to."i am conducting an enviromental study" fair enough...well what you looking for i asked "i am keeping an eye out for rare birds or animals".......have you seen any yet mate "no not yet" so what does that mean "nothing really i guess".....its kinda got to make you wonder, what his report back is,"no there are no endangerd birds or wildlife in this area" OR "there are no endangerd birds and wildlife in this area BECAUSE "............... how much longer will it be before state forests start heading down the same path as national parks.............. 8)

I understand the concern and when you feel like your hobby is at risk you look at everyone in a uniform as a potential threat. At the same time my missus works for DAFF (Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry) and I hear about alot of the work they are doing and its good work that effects all of us.

They are looking at things like climate change and the effects on marine pests and vertebrate, weeds, environmental protection under the conservation act (more to do with farmers and how their work effects waterways) soils, salinity levels, things that effect our produce.

My point is this stuff is going on all the time everywhere, its just research.

If your concerned about proposed plans in your area keep an eye on the vic parks site and see whats is actually happening you will find most of the time there's upgrades to existing facilities and all sorts you may be interested in. If parks were reviewing their policies they would have to make that public and changing legislative framework takes a loooooooooong time and lots of meetings and believe me well hear about it.

Like has been suggested by many Join PMAV let them be your eyes and ears and support them to support you.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/planning/plans-underway

dwt said:

I hate idiots like this, campaigning for the "look but don't touch out bush" policies get out of your office and spend some time with real country folk... I think we have better numbers than them thats why they are so peaved off.

dwt said:

pic 3 has a bloke detecting in an historical gold working - the photographic inference is that he is responsible, wrong wrong wrong!. And the beautiful stream pic with the highbanker destroys their argument altogether - like were's the destruction ??

casper

I am confident that most of us do the right thing.... however all I can say after seeing this article and those photo's is, that is exactly why I have opened threads like this.

We need to educate any fellow prospectors not following the current rules and guidelines set out for us, associations such as the VNPA and any other greeny type group will only use this stuff against us for future reviews of our current freedom. I still read posts on here like a dredge being used in Ballarat (some poor guy took his kids out and was basically told to rack off) or a big hole was left unfilled after an obvious successful time sluicing.

** By all means take as much gold as you can find out of the ground, but take the time to ensure you clean up any signs of being there so no-one can snoop in afterwards and photograph stuff to be used against us.

- No point digging up the mother lode today, only to find we cannot go back tomorrow -

just found this too: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-26/debate-over-the-prospect-of-national-park/4654622

What a joke they show huge gullies which are obviously caused by flooding and blame us. I think the best thing we can all do is get people educated about what our hobby actually is. there is certainly some confusion about what a bank os aswell. my understanding is that the wash whether it has grass or not is still part of the creek in saying that if yiu dig it amd substantially change the creek and cant repair it to look nice we all look bad

Looks like this thread is going to get some legs Mark. Good job.

I have something for everyone to ponder.

The Greenies, environmentalists, pollies etc. look at some of the supposed "damage" us prospectors have done, yet conveniently, call all the old timer diggings etc, as "Historic" and the rubbish they all left behind as "Relics" to be left in situ.

Hell, if we left behind the holes they did, we'd all deserve to get kicked out. Acres and acres of the bastards. Mind you, I'm still in awe of all the hard work them old timers did. All with little or no machinery too.

Have they also considered what all the old timers did to the "historic" aboriginal sites? Don't rate a mention I believe.

My point is, by and large most of us clean up pretty well, and we need to.

It's just that the small amount of evidence we leave behind is quite rare by comparison and therefore, in 50 or 100 years could become quite an attraction and also called "Historic".

Hell, they may even protect the sites. Surely they wouldn't call them sacred,,,,, would they,,,lol.

And that's not an invite for all you slack buggers to leave your mark either,,,,,,

Cheers, Ron.

i think things as simple as "clean up australia day" is something we should look at as a group,not just clean up australia day but other types of community, parks, forests based ideas,gets people thinking about other things other than, prospectors all doom n gloom leaving giant holes everywhere wrecking our creeks and streams.......here's an idea........ "this picnic area is maintained by the victorian gogold getters". "Park benches and rubbish bins donated by gogettimgoldies club" "this area is proudly maintained by prospecting australia members" im not sure if something like this is even possible,BUT LETS LOOK AT THIS IN ANOTHER LIGHT!!......"Honey where are you going, dont forget we have lunch with my mother today"........"oh jeeeeeez babe,you know what im sorry, im supposed to be heading out with the fella's from PA its our turn to pick up rubbish and cut the grass at our sponserd area"....."well ok then its a great thing you PA members do by looking after areas in the bush for others to enjoy.....allright i'll let mum know next weekend"...... Huh!........... Huh!...now thats gotta be worth somthin......HUH!! 8)

ps the "victorian gogold getters" and "gogettimgoldies club" are just made up clubs.....thought i would clarify this..... just in case :|

Cheers Golddigg, appreciate your comments and support! I agree that is exactly what we need to do.

nice one Ron, we certainly don't want to be placed in the same light as the old timers and the trail of destruction they left behind. (even though this is now classified as "Historic Diggings")

dwt, great suggestion! I'm all up for giving a day every quarter or so to help out with volunteer type work. Promoting the fact that we do give a damn is an excellent idea. Personally, I don't just like the finding gold aspect of prospecting, I enjoy the ability to be outdoors amongst the elements too.

** You better patent those club names DWT.....!

Hey guy's i'm going down slaty creek way tonight with the lids camping ,so i will be swapping the buckets sieves & shovels with garbage bags rake & gloves . Who's keen?

good on ya lee panhead :) people think the firepit is a dumping ground out there. if you want to classify some buckets I can draw you a map to a dam out that way you can pan off in. pm me if you want the details

Thanks G0lddigg but i cant pm yet not enough posts , just cleaning up this time all good , maybe next week see what happens cheers.

I'll be packing up to go home around 12 tomorrow but plan on doing more clean ups in the future . I will have to join PMAV so we can all try to make a difference, thanks all.

lee panhead said:
Hey guy's i'm going down slaty creek way tonight with the lids camping ,so i will be swapping the buckets sieves & shovels with garbage bags rake & gloves . Who's keen?

Nice work mate i'll have to go out tomorrow and do the same thing.......now that i have spruked off about it and lee panhead has picked up the torch.......guess we had better post pics dont want people thinking were just throwing snags up a hallway... :8

Damaging waterways? I wouldn't give then any ammunition to use against us, floods and mother nature do a fine job all on their own thanks. Keeping in mind though that yes please backfill and make good your diggings large or small, just pointing out that it takes quite a massive effort to even compete with the scale nature has and always will in the river course and gullies. Dwt I'd be keen to discuss your ideas further, bins and cleanup especially with a proud inscription of the donor would be a fantastic idea, I'm sure there's a few details to iron out but it gets my attention. Taking a pro active approach will always be better than reacting. Contemplating a family friendly day was also something i was contemplating to raise out profile in the broader community. I'll expand on this latter with you personally.

Latest posts