Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Missed you from the forum ag man, what have you been up to??
Jaros :p
Heya Jaros,
Im still about mate, just life in general is busy & seem to find little time to get on the forums of late.
Been out a coupla times panning & hardrock sampling. But not as often as I'd like ;)

Going out to Lake Eildon's newly opened areas this Saturday with a few friends, any advise Jerusalem creek maybe or tips where to start from would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,
Me and the wife are planning a trip to Eldorado
Soon and would like to know what is best for that area, Highbanking or Detecting?
Any suggestions of we're to try our luck would be appreciated also..
Thanks guys

Find my vids and maps on you tube and all that you need to know will be known at least for a great starting chance in the Victorian goldfields at the least and if you cant find them well what can I say lol maybe don't start prospecting :p just kidding happy hunting guys and girls... :cool:

TheFossickingKid said:
Going to Eldorado next week and was wondering what I should look for? Also does anyone know where I can find gems as well? Such as smokey quartz? Thanks

I was at one of my spots on Reedy Creek yesterday and was literally sitting on a heavily eroded rock with dozens of smokey quartz crystals poking out of it, so yeah, Reedy Creek. According to 'The Victorian Prospector's Guide and Handbook' Amethyst, Catseye, Citrine, Chrysoberyl, Diamond, Garnet, Onyx, Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz, Tourmaline, Zircon and Beryl were found there. In the 1860s there were two diamond sluicing claims operating near Wooragee (in the no go area). As far as the gold goes, expect fine gold: 'spangles' or gold dust the old timers called it. There's plenty of that still there but it will test your panning skills even if you use a sluice or high banker. It ranges in size from flattened pin head size to pin point size and comes with lots of black and blonde sand - tin, iron pyrites, and zircon grains. There are lots of old surface diggings, tailing dams, tail races etc along the length of the creek. Park yourself downstream of one of those and you should pick up some of the stuff that was missed back in the day.

limpalot said:
Found this site today, got some great info, Geological Survey of Victoria Search assistant.
Cheers All.

Second that - Maps, plans, historical information, it's all there. Amazing catalogue of information published and unpublished dating back to the mid 1800's.

Hey guys, the wife and I are going to Canberra for a month and want to slip down to the Bendigo area and have a swing, but don't know the area at all, we have a camper trailer, has anybody got any advice, suggestions to give us an idea, appreciate any help, regards Wayne :8

Big thanks to AtomRat will do mate and mbasko already got the miners right mate, keen to have a look around, but we will only have a week so thought maybe the guys on here could point me in a direction, thanks guys appreciate you taking the time to respond, cheers Ned :)

Hey Wayne
Best bet would be put up a post week or so before you plan on being there
Asking if anyone would like to meet up :D
Chances are you will get a responce or two depending on the time of year ;)
Most are more than happy to help out

Travel the leads with the 4500, work the edges heading upslope to the traps!

Go where the Tully maps don't talk about.

Thanks Dam it, sound advice will do that for sure, and Numb_thumb that sounds like great advice as well, but being a newbie, I have no idea what a lead is and the only traps I know are dingo and rabbit which are a bit rusty now lol, but I will do some googling and find out what you are talking about..........thank you both for your input, it is appreciated. :) :)

Just head to Miners Den and get the low down. From the shop you are 10 mins. into the Whipstick Forest on the north end of town, and just about most hills and valleys have been well worked, yet color continues to reveal itself....

Most of my Gold came out of the Whipstick....much prefer it to Kangaroo Flat (in the South) but again, didn't do much time down there as i continued to find it out my back door (well, almost) living on the nth side of town.

Some folks even just go to vacant areas IN TOWN and still find color..(White Hills comes to mind..)

GGA

No worries NKnd...as an added fyi, i had LESS luck in the Nth East (among the kaolin white clays) East of Loesser Rd.

Better luck for me was around the central area known on Tully's maps as Woodvale East, Eaglehawk & Whipstick with nothing found around Kamarooka/(East), Mayreef & Whirrakee. Gold is there, but very sparse/deep/scattered and a lot more area in the NE is locked ground with no Detecting permitted.

Some luck out at Neilborough in the NW, but sporadic and small pieces and the overall ground depth is deeper the further Nth you go...

Good Luck in your hunt...

Cheers
Gypsy

Latest posts