Vic..best place to start?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there...so I have always wanted to search for gold and other treasures...but joining this forum is my very first step...was hoping for any first time tips like places in Vic to start and places that hire out detectors?...I'm in Melbourne but happy to travel... Hoping to eventually buy a detector but thought for first time hiring might be best...anyways looking forward to spending time in the bush regardless of finding my retirement fortune.. :lol:

Hi Mrs Sparkle and welcome to PA, gold prospecting and fossicking in general is a great hobby to be in and being close to the GT is a huge help, i cant so much help with locations tho as i am from NSW but all the same welcome and enjoy your new hobby
cheers
Jamie

Hi Mrs Sparkle. Welcome to PA. So much to learn and enjoy. There are many places to hire detectors, including Miners Den (Mitcham and Ballarat) and Coilteck (Maryborough) to name but a few. If you're looking for high end detectors, you'd also look for a training session which both provide. This helps not only with operating the detector, but also good beginners guide to the geology and what to look for. Most of us VICs go to the Golden Triangle (GT) which is roughly bounded by Castlemaine, Ballarat & Bendigo/Wedderburn. It's a big area so you need to get some maps of where you'd like to try (Say - Castlemaine). Both John Tully and Doug Stone do great ones. If you're not well prepared for the bush, best to initially tag along with a group who are. Another tip: Never detect walking backwards in the GT.

welcome mrs S.. :) you are in the right place already.. use the search feature at the top of the page to go back thru PA logs to find info that you need.. :)

Welcome Mrs. sparckle, have a good look around on the forum there is not much that the people on here don't know about prospecting probably far more than either you or I will ever need to know, do your research is my best advice. Have fun.

Welcome Mrs Sparkle
yep just do your research this is a fantastic site to learn and interesting cobbers to get info from. ;)

Mrs Sparkle,
Welcome to P.A :D

I agree with BigWave, anywhere in the GT is a great place to start :D
It will benefit you by picking areas of interest for yourself (where you would like to go) and research that area.
Calling the town council/local info centre is a great place to start. ;)

I'm not sure about hiring detector's from the miners den, I enquired about hiring one for my son but I was informed that they don't hire them out anymore. :eek: :( 8.(

But... :eek:

If you can pass through Ballarat at the beginning of your trip, I found these guy's do hire!! :D ;)

E.E day and Sons
822 Howitt St, Ballarat
03 5339 2211

Eureka!!! Give the kids something to have fun with these holidays or on weekends and hire a Detector from us today.

We just require 3 Points of ID (Drivers License, Credit Card, Medicare Card etc.) and a $500 Bond (Cash or Credit Card). Before you go one of our staff while give you a brief run through of the machine.

If you are paying the BOND on a Credit Card, it does take 5 Business Days to go back into your account.

Model Price
SDC 2300 $60 Per Day, $110 for the Weekend including Pick
X-TERRA 705 $45 Per Day, $80 for the Weekend
GPX 5000 $70 Per Day, $130 for the Weekend (Pick-up Friday Afternoon & Return Monday Morning) inc Pick

Hope that helps you :D

Enjoy your trip and Good Luck!!

Thanks so much guys!!!... Lots of things to consider... It's so lovely that there's such a generous and thoughtful community of people here <3

No dramas, :)
Hope you have more of an idea of where you might want to go and where to hire. ;)
Good Luck and Have Fun!!! :D :)

Latest posts