Vacuum Food Sealers information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up, a Vacume sealer is vastly different from a Cryovac machine.
I have a El cheapo vacume sealer [$150] and 0nly use is for meat, I have found a steak will last up to 35 days refregerated [ not frozen]

Some info stolen from the internet:
Home units are generally low cost and work by the maching sucking out all the air from a patterned bag. The patterns in the bag are channels to allow the machine to withdraw the air. They do not, accurately, provide a vacuum they just remove as much air as possible. While that will extend the life of your products it will not have the efficiency of a Commercial, Professional, Vacuum Sealer.

A Commercial Vacuum Sealer is a vastly different beast. These are not the low cost home units, were talking MANY thousands of dollars for these.

Commercial Vacuum Packers work by placing the entire bag in the unit and the machine actually creates a TRUE Vacuum, then seals the bag efficiently and safely. Because of the manner of action, it can be used with both solids and liquids yup, liquids!

A Professional Vacuum Sealer uses special, high quality, smooth bags the Vacuum is total and trustworthy.

True red fin, I think they ever purge some with CO2.
I will do spud test soon to test for time before oxidation browning.
Tip for cutting for camp oven stews.
Cut your veg chunky bite size.
This will also stop veg getting slushy/soupy after a few days.
After we had enough to eat that night, we just opened up another top up bag, and tipped in.
But keep your meat in separate portioned bags.

35 days is pretty good unfrozen :Y: I'd be happy with that rather than pay top dollar for the butcher to do it. Mudgee Hunter's process of portioning all your tucker and using the vacuum sealer is definitely the way to go saving time and minimising your clean up :perfect: :beer:

We froze meat in meal portions that served me and my mate for 3 months in Cape York back in 97 portioning meal packs is the way to go :Y:

Latest posts