Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He definitely sells a lot of gear that appears to be directed towards dredging... Oh well, hopefully Karma deals the next hand in this card game.

I really don't think the DPI will be able to prosecute him without catching him in the act.
However the best way to stop these people from doing harm to the prospecting industry is spread the word!
You can tell his eBay sites by his advertising!
He is Russian and has poor written English skills, often you will see his pigeon English in his over exaggeration of his products.
He also steals intellectual property!
The extracts explaining dredging have been taken from one of Dave McCracken's books.
It is highly unlikely that he has been given permission by Dave Mac. To use his copy right material for financial gain.
Anyone know anyone at the ATO ?
His company name is Alluvial Pacific p/l
Probably doesn't declare tax from the money he takes from honest people.
Like I said spread the word.

ATO look at ebay all the time for big sellers. thats why they change their user ID from time to time. tax avoidance.

Ryan27 said:
I really don't think the DPI will be able to prosecute him without catching him in the act.
However the best way to stop these people from doing harm to the prospecting industry is spread the word!
You can tell his eBay sites by his advertising!
He is Russian and has poor written English skills, often you will see his pigeon English in his over exaggeration of his products.
He also steals intellectual property!
The extracts explaining dredging have been taken from one of Dave McCracken's books.
It is highly unlikely that he has been given permission by Dave Mac. To use his copy right material for financial gain.
Anyone know anyone at the ATO ?
His company name is Alluvial Pacific p/l
Probably doesn't declare tax from the money he takes from honest people.
Like I said spread the word.

Thats why i wrote i had forwarded his details to the relevant authorities too investigate him..
Its only a matter of time and whom i spoke to at DPI Mining was very interested in this persons illegal activities.

wReport him to the mines department, It's these guys that are going to ruin it for all prospectors.

Can someone forward that info who is living in Victoria?

If you value your freedom in Victoria to be able to prospect someone will make sure he is reported and caught.

HeadsUp said:
jimnyjerry said:

nope . he just sells equipment

Geoff Strang is his name , his prices are not too bad

He does advertise a bit of gear for sale to mining lease holders , and believe it or not , some university researchers have used dredges for sampling river systems when surveying aquatic fauna.
Surveying Aquatic Fauna, I like that one HeadsUp!
Geoff dredges in New Zealand only! Sells dredge and prospecting equipment throughout the Asia pacific. He has never illegally mined in Australia. Geoff is also treasurer of PMAV.

Ryan27 said:
HeadsUp said:
jimnyjerry said:

nope . he just sells equipment

Geoff Strang is his name , his prices are not too bad.

Surveying Aquatic Fauna, I like that one HeadsUp!

Yup

I can't expose the source but that info came from a highly credible contact deep in Canberra who divulged some of the places where dredges are legally used , or used under special permit conditions ,none of them related to gold or gemstone recovery. He may well be browsing these pages so I shall refer to him just by his alias "The Big W" unless he chooses to drop his cover and identify himself at any point.

;)

Ps . I can state categorically that he has no association with the supermarket chain of that name though he is quite "green" -environmentally speaking

Here is a thought from left field, i hope someone can confirm or deny the following information. (In Victoria)
Its a little bit off track, but being a keen fisherman ive done a lot of research on where we can and cant enter private property etc
As far as i am aware, if the land owner has owned the current land title since 1896, I believe they actually own the river bed as well as the land surrounding each of the banks. Common law clearly states this. (Owning a land title CAN be passed down the family tree)
Does that mean there are any restrictions in relation to dredging their own land if they fall under this category?
The way i read it is if they fall into this category, they would be well within their rights to use a dredge.
By no means do i condone illegal dredging in Victoria, but it is something ive wondered for a little while.....

BoydWilliam said:
Here is a thought from left field, i hope someone can confirm or deny the following information. (In Victoria)
Its a little bit off track, but being a keen fisherman ive done a lot of research on where we can and cant enter private property etc
As far as i am aware, if the land owner has owned the current land title since 1896, I believe they actually own the river bed as well as the land surrounding each of the banks. Common law clearly states this. (Owning a land title CAN be passed down the family tree)
Does that mean there are any restrictions in relation to dredging their own land if they fall under this category?
The way i read it is if they fall into this category, they would be well within their rights to use a dredge.
By no means do i condone illegal dredging in Victoria, but it is something ive wondered for a little while.....
You are correct in the title info. However it is rare for land owners to hold these titles they are few and far between.
The land owners don't own the water and that falls under water catchment. Contamination is the enviro's concern.

Ryan27 said:
Geoff dredges in New Zealand only! Sells dredge and prospecting equipment throughout the Asia pacific. He has never illegally mined in Australia. Geoff is also treasurer of PMAV.
That is good to know :)

The nuggets from the Russian or Bulgarian or whatever are all man made. By the colour of some I would suspect they are not pure gold. Took him on a while bag and Oh lordy did he get upset. The best way with this clown is don't buy from him. That will hurt him more. He also sells fake Minelab gear.

yes i saw him advertising GPX5000's but i think he claimed to have "genuine Miners Den receipts"

thats a serious fraud issue if he is printing up his own replica receipts.

If he is " manufacturing nuggets " out of fine alluvial gold then as its been processed it becomes a manufactured item and is therefore taxable even if a genuine nugget isnt.

Hi All,

Something i have been pondering - Obviously dredging is illegal without a permit, so why isn't dredging equipment restricted for sale to those with said permit? With all these Gold shops selling what is illegal equipment for the average joe, they are sort of promoting doing the dodgey.

On a similar note, does anyone know anybody that has been caught mining in prohibited creeks and lost their Car/equipment and the 10k fine? I have not heard of anyone and know there are plenty that mine in prohibited waterways. I don't and wouldn't risk it, but dammit the few doing the wrong thing will eventually ruin it for all of us - has always been that way.

Cheers, V_8

I suppose it the same as a lot of things. You can sell a bong.
But get caught with one you can be charged with having drug paraphernalia in you possession
Stupid I know.
But there is nothing illegal about owning a dredge
Just using it. (without a permit)

Latest posts