Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those "fly by nights" are watching these forums looking for posts where people mention place names, they hit them hard and fast usually during the week while the rest of us are working or sleeping.
Try putting an ad in the local paper "wanting to buy alluvial gold" and see who responds, (they probably read that as well)!
You need to get the locals on side and have them report activities and noises that are out of the ordinary.

I won't post anymore about any areas for this reason.

I guess he means one of these:

1416440753_kids_toy_dyson_vacuum_review_2.jpg

;)

It's a Tassie thing.... I don't expect mainlanders to understand, Cyclone "shovel" the honest and hard way to prospect!!

excalibur63 said:
It's a Tassie thing.... I don't expect mainlanders to understand, Cyclone "shovel" the honest and hard way to prospect!!
I assumed you were talking about someone who 'cycloned' thru the place like the Tassie Devil cartoon character.

excalibur63 said:
Which brings me to the point. Mdf oops Mfdes are you a ring in or Tassie?

Read his profile.

One question though, why aren't the excavated rocks, boulders and overburden returned to the creek on the day vs left stacked up, surely that is a license condition?

Unfortunately guidelines often rely on self regulation to do the right thing in the spirit of recreational fossicking/prospecting, and that will always be interpreted differently from one person to the next.

Ye old deep hole debate. If it's digable dig it. If it's fillable fill it. If it's a good spot don't name the location. I think we've all learnt something from this thread. Ain't no way to stop a man and a shovel with determination. Old school.

Goldpick said:
excalibur63 said:
Which brings me to the point. Mdf oops Mfdes are you a ring in or Tassie?

Read his profile.

One question though, why aren't the excavated rocks, boulders and overburden returned to the creek on the day vs left stacked up, surely that is a license condition?

Unfortunately guidelines often rely on self regulation to do the right thing in the spirit of recreational fossicking/prospecting, and that will always be interpreted differently from one person to the next.

I am aware mdf lives in Tasmania, I merely asked if he is Tasmanian.

Cannot answer your question, only offer you my opinion. When i find an interesting area, i will work it for quite sometime if it's producing, however this is not a days exercise, usually not a couple either.

An analogy would be digging a trench to put power to your house, it may take you awhile to dig (by hand) several meters of rock and soil, I for one at the end of a day don't go back and fill it in. When the trench is finished and the cables laid, then I will fill it in.

Having said that, I will challenge anyone, who has dug a few cubic meters out of a creek, to return a few weeks later to see it in the same state you left it in. The action of creeks naturally restore the balance. And a good 4 inch rain will wipe it out altogether.

Paydirt said:
excalibur63 said:
I assumed you were talking about someone who 'cycloned' thru the place like the Tassie Devil cartoon character.

Like I said, you probably don't understand.

Pssst Tasmania - 'we have the technology' on the 'mainland' to work smarter, more efficiently with the same result - we call it 'walbanking' but its something only us big islanders would understand. Tongue firmly planted in cheek

Feed
Paydirt said:
Pssst Tasmania - 'we have the technology' on the 'mainland' to work smarter, more efficiently with the same result - we call it 'walbanking' but its something only us big islanders would understand. Tongue firmly planted in cheek

Doesn't take long for the old red neck replies to flow (how original), Wal has made a very good high banker, however you don't sluice for corundum, sieving is the only non motorized way of prospecting sapphire, topas, garnet etc. High banking requires a motor (pump), it was stamped illegal many years ago by our then six fingered premier!!

Old six fingers probably helped make sure there is still some there for you to go out and find,...still.

Come on guys, stop Tassie bashing,
I lived in the north west region for 3 years
and only gave them a hard time if they carried
on about me being a mainlander.
I would still be there if not for family reasons.
Cheers Steve

Latest posts