urgent ,,i need to find a piece of gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
detecta2 said:
Gday gents, havnt seen doug stones map of windeyer but i'll share a few spots wth those there for the wkend and may help varts get his first,be aware, like everywhere these spots are well and truly flogged, myself have been here wth 35,4000, 45 and 5000but your new detectors might do better again,
*first spot is clarks road ,come out of cara park ,go few hundred mtrs to the left then turn right into clarks creek road,keep going and don't stop till you come to an old grader[d9 type] abandoned on side of road,has been plenty of small gold here from this grader back a k from the direction you came, last time here I spent a full day wth the 5000 for a few pcs to 1/g,about 12mths ago.
*next is the TSR head towards pyramil, at the top of a hill couple ks past the town youll see tsr sign on gate on left,seen some nice pcs come from the far end of the tsr but self only done ok round the little dam and took a few out of dam wth platypus coil, some good yabbies in there.
*Next drive towards pyramil and a fair way olong, maybe 5 or 6 ks and look down into creek on left where it runs along edge of road,think its going up a bit of a rise and a bend starts here sweeping to right, youll see an old concete crossing down there where the old road was washed away,last time there wasn't fenced and some tryhard tried to stop me detecting there asking if I had permission but he didn't own this land and had the feeling he was just being a c@#k so I just kept detecting and he left,no one turned up for rest of day, just looked like part of the road area to me,but found some nice nugs here, one in particular a tooth sized square crystal like piece sticking out of a white cementicious rock and there was little squarish hollows around the rock where other pcs would have been embedded, was still plenty of signals here I hadn't dug.think this spot would be great for a high banker as well.
Also Around the queens pinch bridge area ive panned up some great rattlers
Bum I'm spending the wkend on a retirement project, have a great wknd, regards phill
All of those are on Doug's maps.
Just a heads up though - just because an area on those maps is marked as crown land does not give us the right to march in there & start detecting. There is some crown land at Windeyer (& other mapped locations) that is under management & by rights still requires the permission of the land manager/s. You still need to research these areas & ensure your ok with being there. Doug has a disclaimer on most of his books/maps that I have seen with words to that effect.
Outdoor Press said:
Outdoor Press gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or currency of the Metal Detecting Map nor does it warrant that the Map identifies all features of the subject area. Prospectors should be aware that gold metal and relics exploration areas may contain hidden dangers and should exercise caution in undertaking exploration activity. Outdoor Press is not liable for any loss, damage, expense or cost incurred or suffered by any person relying on this Metal Detecting Map.
This map does not imply public access to all areas shown on this Map. It is the prospectors responsibility to seek permission to enter and/or undertake metal exploration activity on the land areas from the relevant owner, occupier or Authority.
Never had any hassles out there but until recently I'd never had any at Hill End either. :/
Might be a sign of the times & the attitude people seem to have towards landholders etc. in these small village areas?

Hllo Mbasko, just to clear up the gent that asked me to leave /or if I had permission to detect he would not produce ID,gave no advice to his conection wth that area and was generally trying to intimidate but when he was asked a few questions in return he just left, maybe a local disgruntalled by prospectors in the past ,theres plenty of them out there.A lot of gold hs been found along the road verges around this area, even some large nugs came off the oval, so basically if its not fenced or not sign posted its fair game to me within reason,naturally if theres a house next just a curtasy to give them a knock and let them know your not up to no good.Campbells creek road is a good one to stay away from, theres a few really unsociable blokes along there. cheers phill

Yeah fair enough. I know where to stay away from. Been going out there for years & know a few of the local critters. I live close by & a mate of mine used to have property at Meroo - wish I'd had a GPX &/or SDC back then ;) I can still remember all the diggings there & doubt a detector has been near them or at least not back then.
I remember an old post or two of yours from years ago on 4umer when I first started getting an interest in detecting. Not much has changed out there.

there seems to be a lot a dramas with the gold scene ,not only does it find lead and gold but it ,
any way been finding gems for ages and never had a prob .
you can have your gold boys ,i think i stick to my good times with my family and grab a few gems,funny how people are quick to tell you cant look on the side of the road and it is ilegal,then go through a gate pour oil over some blackberries and light a huge fire ,smoke em up old farmers,
did not give the sdc a run yet ,i think i will save for a rainy night, :lol:
thanks for the help from those who helped,
back to the planning board.

thanks detecta2 for the tips did some miles over the last couple of days,and i must say it is a nice drive up through the hills and looking at all the old workings ,

Pity you couldn't find a piece Varts, it can be hard work detecting in NSW, sometimes just finding the right place is the hardest part........ I prefer the gem hunting too mate.

yeah,mate the locals of windeyer must of been haunted over the weekend ,the place was packed ,
studying places to go and are a good day out .
the sdc screams at home on some old trash i collected with the eureeka .
i will get some nice pieces in the future for sure ,i found a lot of so called saphires before i actually found a real piece :)
nice town you got there doctor ,loads of history .
:)

I'm wondering if anyone has done the TSR drive from the Windeyer Cemetery to Hargraves.......I took the track, went in a few KM, opened some gates and then didn't know where to go. A few tracks went off in different directions and the one I took ended at what looked to be a farm house gate so I turned back.

Wondering if anyone has made the same journey up that way??? Very quartzy, but a bit put off by the "no fossicking" sign on one of the farm gates even if its supposed to be a public track......im wondering if accessing the Meroo down that part would be considered being on someone's land?

A few guys on dirt bikes so maybe that would be the way to not cause too much attention!!

drove up nearly every rd ,lane, but wasnt prepared to go through chains or gates,was not going to upset anyone,

Twapster said:
.....im wondering if accessing the Meroo down that part would be considered being on someone's land?

!
I think the track goes through private land , so if you get out of your car and cross the land to get to the creek ,, it would be trespassing . I went in there a few years back with Fred Sims , the maker of the Sims sluice ... and I remember telling a fella about it and he commented on some f/wit that used to threaten people with a cross bow :rolleyes:

Yep it is mostly private property down there. Couple of areas of crown land (not sure of status) but to get to the Meroo along most parts would mean going through private property although I am pretty sure that road is a crown road & may even have crown road/tracks into the Meroo in places? You'd need to have a look on ArcGIS.
There is a heritage listed Chinese water race along there in one spot but it's on private land too. Not that you could/would dig around there but it would be interesting to have a look at.
If you follow that track through it comes out at Bishops View turn off on the Hill End Rd just on the Mudgee side of Hargraves. It's easy enough to find the track on Google Maps or Earth but something like Hema or Oziexplorer would be best to navigate thru if unsure. If nothing else it would be a good drive!

Tks for the info Guys, maybe next time ill try the Bishops view side. I found that there were a few tracks going in different directions, one which went right down to the Meroo. Only got out of the car to inspect some quartz blows on the side of the track, and a few trail bikers passed by. I guess ill need to recon a little more to navigate thru it all. Was thinking doing it on a motorbike next time. Its a real bummer that areas like this are locked up, certainly don't want to cop a flogging from any crazy dudes with weapons just for having a peek around!

Varts said:
nice town you got there doctor ,loads of history :)

not to shabby, it is great to see the place pop !

keep a country town/village alive , there has to be more gold still to be found ;)

Latest posts