Up date sadness???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still own my 2200D although I upgraded to a GPX 4500. Many mates used their early SDs as trade-ins and some have some regrets but only because they were a favourite machine - some are more than happy to be rid of them. They are very capable machines and I use my 2200 as a back-up. In truth, if the early SDs are the only thing a person can afford, then there is nothing wrong with them. Of course, they are primarily a DD coil machine but that too is an OK thing. The technological leap from SD to GPX is amazing and they certainly beat the early SDs in any testing I have seen, if in a 'like for like' test, that is both running a DD. The monos of course are a whole new world and as a coil, just keep getting better and better (and more expensive). I do know of some folk who regret ever trading up from the 3500 - dead simple to use (unlike the GPXs) and DD & mono capable.

Hi captain zero I had 2000 updated to a 2100 best move I made the 2000 was not a good 1 since then I have had many detectors ,2000 with frequency switch VG GP EXTREME ,3000,3500,4000 2/4500,5000,GP EXTREME with ground balance button ,at the moment I have a 4500 and a spp out of all of the detectors they all found good gold as I said the first 2000 it was terrible regards john :)

The 2000 being the ground breaking PI was the KING of detectors when it came it. Resulted in the end of VLFs for any serious prospector IMO. I think the 2200D was the next ground breaker, followed by the 3500. I guess our opinions of the first PIs right up to now was the 'wow' factor. We grew up with them as opposed to now where some folk who never had to deal with the early PIs and try out a 2200D and think WTF?! Too noisy. I have posted my observation before and it has been reinforced by a few old timers, those prospectors that grew up with the early PIs are far more forgiving on ground noises and hot rocks with their GPXs than those who have not. A dealer said to me recently that he reckons we have 'noise tolerance hearing'. What I can say is that my 2200D farts, wheezes, gurgles and generally moans and groans but I guess, like me, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and just wants a quiet life - still good fun with a DD on a windy day to use and a great training detector.

Thank you to all for the reply's, I have been thinking of trading up, but the 2200D is like an old friend and not having used a later model machine I have no idea of there capability compared to the old girl.

Captn

Cap'n Zero - I use both the 2200D and the 4500. The key difference is the ability to run monos with the 4500. Both very good with DDs of course. The response is better on the 4500 and of course the 2200 were renowned for very ordinary audio - hence the reason most people got a booster. For patch hunting, a medium sized coil, say 14", on the 2200 is pretty hard to beat. It will not get the same responses as the 4500/5000/SDC because to be honest, it was not really designed for every day small gold hunting - unless you wack on a small DD joey coil or similar, but then you lose the ability to cover ground, so the GPXs win that battle. They are a great deep hunting machine and they won't let you down. I have returned to several old 2200 patches and pulled out several small pieces using a mono on the 4500 that the 2200 (actually me) missed. It was a ground breaker for its day - detecting trashy areas and known deep gold bearing areas a specialty. Pissy little mono coils on a GPX or an SDC can't beat it on good deep gold ground any day of the week. I defy anyone running an 8" fixed mono coil to beat a 2200D running an 18" DD on deep ground - not a fair fight to the 8" fixed coil.

Hi Captn. I updated all the way along except for the Xtreme since the 2000 came out and never had any regrets. Some blokes I know did but that was because they went back to a few old A1 spots where they got big bits from and didn't replicate the success with the new detector. I did the same, some amazing spots yielded not much else to the newie, but others did and left me grinning from ear to ear and beyond. Sometimes people don't take into account the ground they are taking the newie to, eg real shallow and the gold they got in the past was the best they ever will from it. I had places I got amazing gold from back in the 90's using vlf's and yet yielded only a fraction of gold in comparison to the SD's and GPX's. Some don't take into account that gold is not infinite and expect it to be like fishing where you catch a fish and it gets replaced, they don't expect it to be but treat it the same if you get my drift.
If I was given the choice of an SD and GPX, id go the GPX every time. The GPXs detect big gold deep if you get to know them, use the right coil and drive them right, no probs.

G,day Captn. Maybe I should elaborate on the No Probs bit. Even with a 5000 you need time to get to know what to change settings wise and when to do it. It only comes with experience and time, cant be learnt overnight or with a few settings suggestions. Gotta remember too that these days with the internet and how good machines are now that its not as easy as it was even just a couple of years ago. Truth is its getting harder. But for me, my 2 cents worth, having the best that's available is key to having the best chance.
With each machine that came out, bar the difference between the 3000 and 3500 (the difference between those two as far as I could see in them was the 3500 handled bad ground in fixed a bit better than the 3000 did but had no noticeable depth advantage but was a bit quieter going over highly variable ground letting you hear the faint targets a bit better amongst the ground noise) the others saw, heard, some different gold types better. That's why some might say they tried say a 2200 on a certain bit and for arguments sake the 4500 or 5000 didn't sound as good. But then you will get bits the 4500 or 5000 boomed in on better than the 2200. And not always small bits as some may reckon. Yeah going by that one may think why change if I get some bits the others don't and visa versa? Because the bits for the older machines are getting scarcer, they've been out for ages and the ground everywhere is /has had a good thrashing in most places. If I was only gonna go out now and then, a few times a year, and had a 2200 id seriously think about whether or not I should upgrade at this point as within a year I reckon we'll probably see a new machine dropped, id more than likely wait and then when it came out seriously think about getting out as much as I could. But if I was going out every week then I would go for a 5000. Hey, im no expert but iv done it for a while and would not like to steer someone in a direction they might regret. Weigh it up mate, think how often youll use it and how serious you are about getting the money back for it. Ill stop here, im starting to confuse myself :lol:

Latest posts