Types of rocks to look for?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg,

I would take a dryblower to that gully of yours and go to town in the exact area you found your 10 bits...there is bound to be plenty more around wondering what happened to their brothers :D

Cheers

MJB said:
Greg,

I would take a dryblower to that gully of yours and go to town in the exact area you found your 10 bits...there is bound to be plenty more around wondering what happened to their brothers :D

Cheers
I Think you are right there But a dry blower is one bit of kit I do not have. I am thinking of using a high banker during or just after the wet season
But for now I was using a 4500 and the wifey a 2300. I was only using a small coil so I am hoping to find some of there friends with a larger coil hiding deeper Cheers Greg :cool:

No worries Greg,

If your handy with your hands there a few people on here who have built there own dryblowers, myself included. Check out the section on DIY projects and you will find them. The bellows style is much easier to build I think than the blower style that I made but it will definitely give you an edge in these situations.

Sounds like you have the right detectors to get the most out of the ground though, best of luck!

Cheers

dwt said:
What appears to be the greenstone with the quartz

had good luck with this type of quartz in crushings before

mate your onto the gold once you find that stuff your onto the gold its chlorided quartz. or quartz with chloride mineral in it I would be sinking a shaft right on top of it or driving a tunnel in maybe tunnelling as its easer to do ;)

Good thread. I'm using the trial and error method since I haven't been doing it for long, only a couple months. Interested to hear thoughts on these type of rocks, if they're worth crushing.
1412160031_pa010823.jpg

Hi 22Shells

I would be crushing that as soon as i could. Think i can see colour in the one on the left of screen.

Nice Rocks

Hi Darryn, mate I think it's just pyrite of some sort but I'm hoping if you've got quartz with pyrite in it and ironstone nearby then maybe there could be gold too? Like I said though, I'm new to this and still trying to figure it out. Cheers.

22shells said:
Good thread. I'm using the trial and error method since I haven't been doing it for long, only a couple months. Interested to hear thoughts on these type of rocks, if they're worth crushing.

Nice samples .22

Heavily mineralized, old quartz that has come from a fair way down!

I'm guessing these were found around a nearby shaft, old mining site etc?

As they say, go where gold has been found before......they can never get it all can they?

@ jethro

Could very well be and great observation mate!

Just dont tell dwt that he has dinosours on his property :p

Cheers all

Its the surrounding rock structure that gets me excited, whether Im looking for hard rock samples to crush, or just out swinging the coil........reading the ground is so important when looking for virgin ground or areas that may have been overlooked, deemed "not worth the extraction costs", or whatever!

Abandoned mine sites, of the more modern era can still be productive for the hobby guy who knows his stuff and lets face it, they paid Geologist's good money to land em there.
When these sites are in areas that have old timers diggings....all the better!

The structure is always right, all the balls align, and they got gold.

Did they get it all??.......that's where we come in :cool:

Some pics I took yesterday of favorable structure in a known gold bearing area.......note the quartz leaders, sheer zones on natural faults, slate foliation and where the rock changes etc.

160cyo4.jpg

2r239rn.jpg

2hf1i86.jpg

15foi7k.jpg

Cheers

22shells said:
Spot on Metamorphic! Now could you please tell me how much gold is in them? :D

Lol, Im still trying to separate the VF gold from our latest crushings!

Think I need a good concentrator.

Thats what I love about prospecting.......Its anything but easy! ;)

Hey Metamorphic
thanks for the docs, some great reading there, definatly some stuff for thought.
Seems to be all i think about these days, guess its to late to get vacinated. :lol:

Thanks MM very informative, pictures certainly assist.

Just curious if through your searching process, would you be detecting in and around those areas. Or are you more concerned on what the rock may contain from a mining setup ?

To setup a hypothetical -

Walking through bush detecting, when you come across this structure. Do you
- Continue detecting in and around this structure
- Forget detecting and pull out the hammer taking samples back for crushing
- Start loaming in and around the vicinity
- All of the above

Just curious if you would look for some nuggets to start with and then work your way smaller. Or start smaller (loaming, pan) and hopefully work your way up !

I found a small nugget last trip out that was in a bit of foliated rock. I dug around a bit due to other signals, but could never find anything. In hindsight I should have taken a few scoops of soil for the pan. Even chipped a bit more of the host rock. I am pretty sure I left gold behind :8 Could not see anything obvious in the hold dug, but I was in an area that heaps of indicators everywhere.

Hey Meta I need some advice on some quartz I found thats looks very interesting, these were found in the same spot. The ground soil was a reddish looking compared to closer by and was on a slope . The tops of the rocks were just protruding the soil surface. There are some metallic specs in them but haven't got a rock crusher yet to smash 'em up. Are they or the area looking promising? Cheers
1413709005_rock1.jpg
1413709034_rock2.jpg
1413709053_rock3.jpg
1413709075_rock4.jpg

Metamorphic said:
As Prospector B says, testing your samples is the only way too tell for sure if your onto something, but if you did come across something like that, its a very good sign to begin with.

Take a sample, crush and pan it off and then count any colors you may get.

The old timers used to say if you get 8 or more specs of color in your pan, its an area worth investigating further!

If you get nothing, move up the quartz vein 3 to 5 ft or so, along the foliation (both ways) and repeat the test each time until you get some color. Only then will you know your on the right track.

Learn more about the art of loaming, just simply crushing quartz is the hard way mate.

I uploaded a couple of PDF's for you to download and read:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc7/6533/hints-on-loaming-pdf-439k?da=y

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc7/6534/gold-diggers-guide-pdf-3-4-meg?da=y

Good Luck.

;)
hi mate, because of what you said about the 8 colours per pan i thought i would dolly up a sample of reef i found a earlyer this year for a colour count...

1413715826_sample_1.jpg

1413715879_sample_1_colours.jpg

19 bits in total...ide like to know what you think from what you see? :cool:

Westaus said:
Thanks MM very informative, pictures certainly assist.

Just curious if through your searching process, would you be detecting in and around those areas. Or are you more concerned on what the rock may contain from a mining setup ?

To setup a hypothetical -

Walking through bush detecting, when you come across this structure. Do you
- Continue detecting in and around this structure
- Forget detecting and pull out the hammer taking samples back for crushing
- Start loaming in and around the vicinity
- All of the above

My advice is to always have a 'plan of attack' when searching for gold, and to productively and efficiently utilize all of the equipment at your disposal.

As you know, we can never guarantee where the gold will be, the only thing we can do (with research and knowing what to look for) is to put ourselves in the right spots in order to hopefully increase the odds of a find, in our favor.

A detector is a very important part of my equipment, but its not the only part....... I like to think of them as the 'modern day loamer'.

I will visually study the ground and vegetation when i get to these areas that i usually have found whilst researching the net....you know, Geovic, old and current maps, areas where gold has been found before etc.

I will then pick out a small area on the ground that i think looks the goods (good structure, fairly shallow auriferous looking, lots of quartz with ironstone, ironbark trees etc etc), then begin to methodically and thoroughly search it with the detector. ie Concentrate on that particular area.

(1)Wondering aimlessly through the bush swinging a coil doesn't increase your chances i believe, unless you are incredibly lucky!

(2)Go low and go slow, a lot of people miss gold with incorrect technique by swinging to fast and to high (usually in an attempt to cover more ground).

(3)Don't think you know whats under the coil before you have dug it.....dig everything!
Discrimination is only good for coin and relic hunting, not gold hunting.....gold can and will, discriminate as iron especially when hosted with ironstone, masked by nearby trash and even sometimes on its own!
How many times have you heard someone with a small piece say, "at first I thought it was hot rock"

(4)If i come across a nugget or specie, now the fun begins!
Gold pieces, no matter how small, are rarely on their own!

(5)Mark your find, then systematically Grid search, or Chain, a 50x50m area of the find, after raking back that whole area of ground litter with a garden rake!
(Remember to physically mark all, and any further finds)
http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/chaining-for-gold.html

(6)With any luck, you should now be able to see a pattern developing with your markings of finds. I use bright orange poly tent pegs but a lump of white quartz in the holes will do.

(7)Check the finds, are they smooth and rounded or nice and prickly? What is the host rock (if any)? Are there any hills or slight changes in elevation nearby?

(8)After gridding the whole area, now I will begin to loam for the source if the conditions warrant it ( ie prickly gold found around the slopes of a hill or small elevation etc)....see my share pages for PDF tips on loaming correctly.

(9)All this is tedious, time consuming, but sure work. If you have to leave the area till later, GPS waypoint it (and the finds), then remove any evidence of you being there till next time. If you dont, you run the risk of someone else spotting your tell tale signs that gold has been found and the next time you return, dont be surprised to see it stripped.

(10)Be patient, be thorough, respect the enviroment and above all.....have fun!

Westaus said:
Just curious if you would look for some nuggets to start with and then work your way smaller. Or start smaller (loaming, pan) and hopefully work your way up !

As above, I usually detect first for anything around, then take samples to loam if warranted.
You can start out by loaming very favourable looking areas if you wish, and importantly, if you have the time and patience!

Remember....by loaming, your looking for the primary source! Be prepared to spend time and be equipped to dig!
Most prefer to detect only as they are happy with a few nuggets, but if so, I recommend you do it to the plan above.

Westaus said:
I found a small nugget last trip out that was in a bit of foliated rock. I dug around a bit due to other signals, but could never find anything. In hindsight I should have taken a few scoops of soil for the pan. Even chipped a bit more of the host rock. I am pretty sure I left gold behind :8 Could not see anything obvious in the hold dug, but I was in an area that heaps of indicators everywhere.

Fantastic stuff, go back and work that area of the find......dont leave it for anyone else! ;)

Cheers

Latest posts