Tuena NSW using SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone just bought my self an sdc 2300
was thinking about heading put to tuena but the question is have many people found nuggets out there or is it better to sluice.

People sluice some decent sized pickers out there. Big enough for the sdc. Its worth a try.
Just be prepared to dig a truckload of junk and birdshot as well. ;)

Some very big nuggets came out of Tuena back in the VLF days. The gullies and around the creeks can be very trashy, and a better strategy might be to detect up on the hills and slopes. Try to get your coil into difficult to access areas and under vegetation, rocks etc. Wal has a couple of videos of detecting nice nuggets in gullies in some of the more remote areas around Tuena.

The more junk I dig the less there is for everyone else haha.Sounds like I'll be adding some shots to my collection all I can do is swing and see what I hit. I'd say I'll bump into a few other detecorist out there if I go out this long weekend.

Was at Tuena last weekend and got these little guys using my SDC 2300.
It's a bloody awesome machine :D
The last photo that I crushed a bit you can see black material, it looked like tar as when I crushed a bit more it would bend.
Is it tar or something else.
I have 2 other quarts to break open as it has gold in it I hope.
All gold was found 2 to 4 inches deep.

1504499590_img_0750.jpg

1504499590_img_0751.jpg

1504499590_img_0752.jpg
1504499613_img_0749.jpg

It is possible that your black material is silver ore. Tuena has historically produced silver as well as gold, and of course the mine at nearby Peelwood was a copper, silver, lead and gold mine.

Silver ore often presents as a sooty grey/black material, and it is possible that the ore in your pic is quite rich.

Great going with the SDC. I am thinking of getting one if high banking goes the way of dredging, and Tuena is one of my favorite locations.

Don't give away your location, but I'd be back giving that area a really good workout. Back in the VHF days, I'm told some quite large nuggets came from up top rather than in the creek.

Thank DrDuck, i go on a friends property.
I will be heading back in 2 to 3 weeks time.
I got my SDC for a steal :D
They made a mistake at CWP and I picked it up for $3600. They have a bundle for $3700, I said I wanted a few other things that added over $400.
Got everything for $3600.

On the other hand that black stuff just might be tar. Try burning it with a propane torch.

I just bought bought an SDC myself. Got sick and tired from NOT finding nuggets most of the time. I was impressed by my mate who's got one, he just kept on pulling sub grammers from a spot I showed him. My GPX5000 just remained mute. In the end he found about 18 small nuggets, being a good bloke he gave me half for showing him the spot. Total weight of the nuggets was 2.1 gram.
I ended up taking about 60 kg of dirt from that spot and used a sluice back home to see if there was more gold.... yep, there was, about 100 flakes and so small that the whole lot weighed in at about 0.1 gram. :8

Latest posts