Trommel progress

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set up a ramp for the spinner today. Fitted spray bars to the trommel and a new security door for the off site shed. Filled the bath tubs and stainless trough and dragged up the filter system for the in line. Put fittings on the stainless puddler. Started setting up the static Grizzly and screens to prescreen trailer loads. Dragged materials up for the over head roofing. Nearly go time for anyone still following.

Haha well at least one will do. Calling dibs on the overburden?

There's still a to do list. Conveyor. More dirt. Testing. Top coat. But I should be set up for this weekend to have a decent roll and play pretend prospector. Got my jack impersonation almost verbatim.

still following mate, and might i add with great anticipation of seeing the "mother load" sitting pretty in the tail end of "THE BAD BOY" as ive now dubbed it :cool:
Or have you already named it?

Nice build ! hope it gives the clay cobbles a good bath , hey clay your journey is coming to an end , lol

Ryan1981 said:
still following mate, and might i add with great anticipation of seeing the "mother load" sitting pretty in the tail end of "THE BAD BOY" as ive now dubbed it :cool:
Or have you already named it?
Was thinking of calling it
"The Crown" or
"Weapon of mass production" (WMP)
or something equally cheesy.

Ryan1981 said:
come on man(shish) im having tommel pic withdrawal, show us that bad boy in action
Ok put a clip on YouTube. Wasn't as hard as I thought but I could feel.the life force draining from me while my 14 sec clip took an extraordinary time to upload. Under Goldtarget if you wanna peak. I'll have to kick Mrs GT off the laptop for a back link. That won't happen tonight lol.

On the plus side I'll be able to share some exploits now. I've gone digital.

Goldtarget said:
Ryan1981 said:
come on man(shish) im having tommel pic withdrawal, show us that bad boy in action
Ok put a clip on YouTube. Wasn't as hard as I thought but I could feel.the life force draining from me while my 14 sec clip took an extraordinary time to upload. Under Goldtarget if you wanna peak. I'll have to kick Mrs GT off the laptop for a back link. That won't happen tonight lol.

On the plus side I'll be able to share some exploits now. I've gone digital.

Cant find it man 8.(

Strangely enough nor can I in a search. Maybe I'm missing something. Did the upload and changed settings to public. I'll try and figure this out before this weekend has finished. No gold star for me just yet.

How many CC"s, horse power, 4 or 2 stroke is the motor you have on this device?
I have a 49cc 4 stroke Quad bike that my kids don't use any more and was thinking of converting it for something like this and maybe also using the stainless steel cylinder from an old washing machine. I have a very solid frame trailer with long draw bars where I have plenty of room to mount it, so it leaves the trailer free for other use
I would be very interested in any ones thoughts on this as well as any other uses I could utilize the motor for any other kind of equipment?
I would also like any thoughts of others on using a washing machine on its side with modifications and maybe still use the electric motor as well. washing machines also have some spring balancing, so this would probably assist.

The tubs on later model washing machines are usually stainless steel, but typically as of companies now days getting all tight assed Charlie about it, the tubs are quite thin, they tend to bend quite easily, know a bloke that uses his old washing machine to puddle clays in, I had to make stainless steel washing paddles for him not a few days ago, the plastic ones lasting nothing but a few minutes, he's also having trouble with his water pump due to the small rocks blocking it up, so he's going for a small sludge pump from what he was saying, the other problem is its a real bi'arch to get all the material out, and then search through for pickers, he reckons he can sort it out, and when he does, "apparently" he's coming back to get the mods done........... :rolleyes:
Seems like a lot of work to me, for something that can only be used at home.
As for the small quad bike motor, a few issues, 1, probarbly more horse power than you really need, and 2, most of those small motors are air cooled and need the speed of the bike to allow enough air flow past to cool the engine, for what it would cost to retrofit a small thermo fan and shrouding, you could pick up a 5-6hp motor of eBay :)
Hope this helps mate, best of luck.

Thanks dwt.

I did think the horse power would be to much. I do have a Honda generator that could be handy at times and I have a new Davies spar pump that Could be handy too, any suggestions? I have a pretty good camping set up but I am going to have to get the Hilux back on the road again as it is on LPG and great for some tricky situations. My commodore shall limit me to a lot of places I shall be able to go. Also I will get a winch put on the bull bar to assist me any time should I need it.

Mystery gold said:
Thanks dwt.

I did think the horse power would be to much. I do have a Honda generator that could be handy at times and I have a new Davies spar pump that Could be handy too, any suggestions? I have a pretty good camping set up but I am going to have to get the Hilux back on the road again as it is on LPG and great for some tricky situations. My commodore shall limit me to a lot of places I shall be able to go. Also I will get a winch put on the bull bar to assist me any time should I need it.
Dream a bit bigger mate, if your Honda generator has enough kick about it there is a company in Melbourne that supply single phase electric motors with reduction gearboxes attached to them, couple this up to a drum of your choosing and with a bit of ingenuity set your drum on a 20-30 degree angle over a sluice box all mounted on your trailer you could have a nice little trommel, you will want your trommel to spin between 19-21 rpm, mount the whole thing on a pivot and once your dirt has washed for a while simply tip it out, either that, or keep your eye out for a cheap cement mixer, and set it up the same way ;)

Latest posts