Trommel build - sourcing parts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all, I'd like to have a go at making a trommel and have been looking for somewhere to buy 1/4" & 3/8" mesh to use, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Look at bunnings. Mini -mesh is what its called from memory

Cheers Tige

Avery mesh I use a lot but make sure its the 1mm stuff that's welded. Not the glued .2mm stuff.

Check out metal dealers like scrapping joints or 2nd hand material / 'bargain centres'

Tips you can sometimes buy things useful from too

Tim, not sure where you are but in Brisbane there is a company called Melwire they make woven mesh for screening plants.

Cheers, DD

I got mine at local steel merchant.
I am building a Trommel at the moment.

For the mesh I am using expanded metal. Had to buy a sheet (2400x1200) of downgraded stock ( no offcuts available) Got it for $60 and have enough for more jobs.
The steel ends are of a air compressor tank I picked up on side of the road in a clean up.
1444472056_12087505_564662447024472_1211739499_n.jpg

1444472076_12081541_564662707024446_1216208158_n.jpg

Best bet is to hit the markets and or steel suppliers. Most places you will need to order a sheet 2400x1200. If you but it from a metal supplier spend the extra $$ have it rolled and galved if you're buying expanded. Otherwise they clog up with grass real easy and become a pain to clean. Average price is around $140 but it will come rolled ready to go and you will have heaps left over.

Another option is stainless steel but its expensive. If you're in victoria i can help you out with a small section.

my expanded I just rolled by hand and stuck the rings over the end, was much easier than I thought it would be.
That was for a 28.5 cm diameter.

Horse said:
I got mine at local steel merchant.
I am building a Trommel at the moment.

For the mesh I am using expanded metal. Had to buy a sheet (2400x1200) of downgraded stock ( no offcuts available) Got it for $60 and have enough for more jobs.
The steel ends are of a air compressor tank I picked up on side of the road in a clean up.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...056_12087505_564662447024472_1211739499_n.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...076_12081541_564662707024446_1216208158_n.jpg
Nice build mate ;)

Thanks for your reply's guys, i checked out the mesh at bunnings but think it's going to be to light and
won't last long. I'm waiting to hear from a supplier in hoppers crossing. I need 2 sizes as i'd like to build my trommel for gold and sapphires as well.
I live in Tamworth nsw but grew up in Glen innes in the new england tablelands (sapphire country)

Horse said:
my expanded I just rolled by hand and stuck the rings over the end, was much easier than I thought it would be.

Rolling is done by machine under huge pressure to flatten the expanded out and create a smooth surface.
To clarify thats what i meant by rolling :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Horse said:

Rolling is done by machine under huge pressure to flatten the expanded out and create a smooth surface.
To clarify thats what i meant by rolling :)

Ahh gotcha mate.

I kinda like the expanded not flat.
I was thinking it would help munch up clay and the likes better, but I am no expert on the matter.

Yeh it sure does help with breakup but if you plan to run volume and theres any weeds or roots and grass it can be troublesome. Nothing a long barrel wont fix. Alot of blokes use punch plate with paddles inside that works really well too.

Good morning, put this in another thread and got no replys so i thought I'd try here. I'm going to have a go at making a trommel and looking for advice/info on electric motors and pumps.
I would like to know what size motors and pumps people have used. I haven't decided on overall size yet but thinking 1 and 1/2 20 gallon drums or 18" motor bike rims. It will have 2 grades of mesh and be used for gold and sapphires and I'll run it with a generator.
I have a small 240v house pressure pump and thinking i can get 2nd hand evaporative cooler motors for a dime a dozen. There around 750watt. The other thought would be cement mixer motor. I've no idea what size motor I'd need, it will be belt driven so i can change the gearing to get a desired rotating speed.

I found your thread mate :)

Depending on how big your project is going to be really. My mate made a trommel using a windscreen wiper motor, some are big enough to run off a 5hp stationary engine..etc.

Personally I'd go no bigger than a electric scooter motor which also has a nice gear on the shaft for a vbelt if i were carrying it by hand..

You could even run the trommel off a pelton wheel if your creative and only use one pump for the whole job.

There's many vids on youtube about trommels, I'd suggest watching what you can, also you the search on our forum and type 'trommel' and see what comes up. I know many members here have made them

Latest posts