Trip to WA from VIC expenses

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunollyman

stephen
Reaction score
just wondering how much cash would you need for a trip from vic to wa? For around 2 weeks on a detecting outing, drive to and from stay in tents... Recommendations from Other people who have done it, and what would you do different? Looking at the Kalgoorlie area :D

You don't say what your drive is, re economy or fuel type, but......

Work out the distance...there and back in kms
Approximate your daily kms when detecting and get a total
Add the 2 together for total kms.
Work out your litres per 100 and calculate how many litres of fuel you will need.

Then check online ie
http://www.caltex.com.au/LatestNews/FuelPricing/Pages/CardPricing.aspx for fuel prices at each place you are likely to refuel. That will give you a rough cost for your car.

You say you are tenting, so accommodation cost is zero.

For food, you don't say if you are eating out or cooking your own or what you eat, so a personal thing. But allow some $$$ per day and total.

Then allow for contingencies like tyres, breakdowns, prospecting license, camping fees if required etc etc.

Costing a trip like this there is no real guide because everyone does it different.

I tow my van to VIC twice a year, I know my fuel economy when towing and when not. I also know my range and when I'm likely to need fuel.
So I check those places online before I leave. Pretty well everything is online nowadays.

I also check caravan park costs or if free camping estimate my genny fuel cost, diesel for the van heater, LPG, food budget, entertainment if used ie pub meal and drinks. Then I allow 20% more just in case.

But 600kms to the GT from S.A. each way is a bit different to near 3,000 kms each way to the West. Also once past Pt Augusta food and fuel are a lot more expensive.

So, the best tip I can give you, is take as much food, drink and fuel as you can carry before you get remote.

Really difficult question, surley you must have some idea?
I would work on having at least 5k handy for repairs, airfares etc, maybe a mastercard with a good limit for just in cases.
That 5K is not for the trip, thats in case the trip turns to ....mud, you know, blow 4 tires, blow a gear box, break an axel or stuff a diff.
so work out your imediate costs, get a good health and dental check up before you go, and just do it, or if you decide its too much, work out a trip closer to home.
Reason I added dental check up, is I have an infected nerve in a tooth, and there is no way I could go out and enjoy a day fossicking with this, its been 6 days now, dentist wont touch the tooth untill infection is gone, he says the local anasthetic wont work while the infection is active.

Fuel + $100 per day supplies = $3473.60

plus emergency funds less gold found = unknown and extremely variable

dunollyman said:
just wondering how much cash would you need for a trip from vic to wa? For around 2 weeks on a detecting outing, drive to and from stay in tents... Recommendations from Other people who have done it, and what would you do different? Looking at the Kalgoorlie area :D

Hi Dunollyman

We go over to Kalgoorlie every winter, from Maryborough, vic
We allow $1000 for fuel, towing an 18 1/2 foot caravan. We always have change.
Last year I think the fuel cost was around $800, but that's towing.
Plenty of free camping, if you know where to look.
There are camping places all along.

As for food cost, well we have to eat no matter where we are.
Also once you get into Kalgoorlie, it's not much different to here, ( Maryborough, vic ) but bigger and more shops!
As they really call it Kalgoorlie Boulder, w.a as the two towns are joined.
There is a Woolworths store, Coles, target, iga stores. Geez there's heaps of shops.

If you go to the information centre they should be able to tell you where you can get good drinking water.
We stay in a caravan park, and top everything up before going bush,
it's easier to unhook the caravan and leave it somewhere safe.
But we have unhooked it a few times and left it at the 24 hour stop, while getting our supplies. No dramas
But now we stay in van park when we arrive, and then 5 to 6 months later, we may stay in one before the long trip home.

One thing though, don't go over to W.A thinking you will pay for your trip or get rich! You may be disappointed.
Go for the adventure.. And if you find gold.. Well that's a bonus! Go with that attitude and you will have a great time.

Regards
Jen58

Can be pretty cheap if you're well set up. Personally my trip over and back set me back around $1500 in fuel and around $100 a week for food so $1700. Now I did get 5 sidwall stakes which blew out my cost by $1500 but this could have been prevented with better tyre choices up front. I spent 2 weeks in the bush at a time so never had to pay for accommodation.

condor22 said:
I tow my van to VIC twice a year, I know my fuel economy when towing and when not. I also know my range and when I'm likely to need fuel.
So I check those places online before I leave. Pretty well everything is online nowadays.

I also check caravan park costs or if free camping estimate my genny fuel cost, diesel for the van heater, LPG, food budget, entertainment if used ie pub meal and drinks. Then I allow 20% more just in case.

But 600kms to the GT from S.A. each way is a bit different to near 3,000 kms each way to the West. Also once past Pt Augusta food and fuel are a lot more expensive.

So, the best tip I can give you, is take as much food, drink and fuel as you can carry before you get remote.

I agree here. Load up in Pt Augusta. I threw in 6 jerry cans of extra fuel and drove from Port Augusta to Norseman in one hit. Saved big bucks on Nullarbor fuel prices.

Can't edit my post!!!
Grrrrrr
Oh I forgot to mention the fuel was only to get to Kalgoorlie
Cost about the same to get back, depending if you have the wind on your back :)

Latest posts