Took the plunge...almost

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeful

Jason
Reaction score
G'day all,

After years of being a bit keen I am about to step out and get a detector... from my research I am thinking of a X-terra 705 with Gold and relic coils.. I think that should get me out there amongst it without costing the world and give me a fair chance of not being out there just for a nice 'walk', hopefully can actually find something, (let me know if you think that there is a better option..of MD)
I can tell already that I will be stoked to find even a bottle top (I am sure that will wear off...) Look forward to reading about how to go about the hobby in the right way and get the most out of this adventure. thanks.

Bit rude of me...should have mentioned real name Jason and live in Adelaide at the moment and am 3.5 years into a 5 year theology degree. Have 4 lovely kids to keep us flat out...

Welcome to the forum Hopeful, Love the name, we all live in hope with this hobby. Big step forward with the detector decision and that's when the real fun begins. I can assure you the bottle cap and pull tab excitement will soon diminish and turn to frustration.

However, your skills will improve, and many of those pull tabs will turn themselves into coins and jewelery , with hopefully a few little gold rattlers. best of luck and hope the forum steers you in the right direction.

Cheers Wal,

Welcome to the forum
I am sure you will fnd a few hints and shortcuts to finding your first keeper.
Regards
Richard

You have a bit of all of us in you the Hopeful, you are studying a subject that will come in handy on those cold wet days when you question just what it is you are doing out in the cold wet wind driven rain.

Good luck Jason! May your finds be many

Welcome Jason, Once you find that first bit , thats it mate !
Regards Bill :cool:

Thanks all for the welcome and encouragement can't wait to get into it.

Bill I used to live in Katherine before I came down here to Adelaide... should have got into it up there around pine creek and stuff, anyway better late than never.

let you all know how I go...

Hopeful said:
Thanks all for the welcome and encouragement can't wait to get into it.

Bill I used to live in Katherine before I came down here to Adelaide... should have got into it up there around pine creek and stuff, anyway better late than never.

let you all know how I go...
I have a few mates up in Darwin that spend their w/ends down in Pine Creek, plenty of gold there still but hard to get permission to go on leases etc unless you know someone, signs up everywhere with skull and crossbones, they are even known to let the odd shot off if they catch you on their land ! :cool:

G'day Jason, good to see another Adelaide based member.

I have just upgraded my detector to the E-Trac, so have an X-Terra 705 Dual pack for sale if that would suit your needs. Bought new in Oct last year with manual, headphones, rain cover & carry bag looking for about $750. You'll just need to get your digging gear and a pro pointer is a good addition too.

If you're new to detecting, joining one of the clubs would be something worth looking into too. I'm a member of Adelaide Treasure Hunters which meets in Collinswood if you're northern or central, or there is Southern Seekers if you're down south. More info has been posted in the Clubs section of this Forum.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks DaBilda, I had looked into clubs and was intending to get to the Collinswood one this month. Your offer of the 705 sounds alright I was looking at one on ebay but got a bit nervous with the rumours about fakes from China so thought I would leave it alone because I couldn't see it in person... I would be interested in having a look though...before I go out and get a new one, I had just about talked myself into a new one before I read your post so thanks. I assume yours all works and is pretty much same as new (and is genuine)

..I will have to work out how to get my responses automatically because I almost missed yours if I didn't go in and check the responses manually...I am sure I can be done, just a bit new to the whole forum type world..

Jason

Hey hopeful, there's a "Subscribe to this topic" button just about the box that you type in, if you click that you'll receive an email each time someone posts a reply to the topic. You can view your subscriptions under your profile.

Also check out the links just under the main (brown) navigation bar, there's one called "My posts" which will list every topic you've ever posted in.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks Nugget, I appreciate your patient reply for us obviously ignnorant newcomers (to the world of forums that is) I have also found the - 'automatically subscribe to my posts' button (or something like that) under my profile so I assume that will do the same thing...

Not a problem mate, always happy to help :)

Yes, the automatically subscribe option will do just that.

Hopeful said:
Thanks DaBilda, I had looked into clubs and was intending to get to the Collinswood one this month. Your offer of the 705 sounds alright I was looking at one on ebay but got a bit nervous with the rumours about fakes from China so thought I would leave it alone because I couldn't see it in person... I would be interested in having a look though...before I go out and get a new one, I had just about talked myself into a new one before I read your post so thanks. I assume yours all works and is pretty much same as new (and is genuine)

..I will have to work out how to get my responses automatically because I almost missed yours if I didn't go in and check the responses manually...I am sure I can be done, just a bit new to the whole forum type world..

Jason

G'day Jason, yeah mate, virtually brand new and was bought from Miners Den in Salisbury so is the real deal.

All my contact details are on this Flyer I posted in the clubs section, ring or email whenever you're ready or drop in at our meeting at 7:30pm on the 19th and go from there.

1370270884_flyer.jpg

Do you remember your 'first' time??

This Probably isn't the right place to post this but it is the conclusion to the first post of this thread where I was about to take the "Plunge" and now I can finish the story (or maybe start the story) with the news that I GOT ONE!! I now have my own X-terra 705!! :D

Without giving all you absolute experts out there too much to scoff at I am here 'showing off' my first days finds.... and am happy to say the first thing I found was a pull tab...I am sure the joy of finding those will wear off. I am now looking forward to getting to know my machine and seeing what it can do. There were two things I found which were almost a foot deep! I couldn't believe it.

Anyway hopefully the next things I have to show off to you all will be something actually worth looking at. Thanks DaBilda for the detector and the crash course.

1370861487_day_1._x_terra_705__10.6.12.jpg

Latest posts