Today's KANOWNA Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today's find
KANOWNA Codd Bottle ?
Found buried with only a small part showing.

1493385676_img_1685.jpg

Excellent ZAC, what a pearler mate ,... be a nice one for display. :Y: :cool: :Y:

Bring your Moneybox ?
Moneybox lol

This is the curved writing with the Feather facing to the right.
I have found a number of semi complete Kanowna bottles, however they are all with the straight text.
Small and large ones and a number of sheared off tops with the marble still in place.

Stoked to find this baby ???

saw one similar on an auction site, $102 I think, or $120? not sure if it had the same writing on it.
Great bottle.
When i 1st left the Army, I did some part time security work.
One night shift in about 1995, I was at Moore park Golf Club. I could hear some sounds coming from one of the fairways. As I got closer, I could make out 2 shady characters digging what looked like 2 shallow graves.
Being new to security, and keen to do a good job, I went back to the club house to call the cops, as every gangster movie I had ever seen came flooding back to me.
Cops came, and I took them to spot just off the fairway, in the rough.
The cops agreed that it did look like shallow graves, and the nervously confronted the 2 "Gangsters"......who were 2 blokes digging for old bottles, it turns out theat Moore Park Golf Club is built pretty much on the 1st Fleets ( or early Sydney Towns) tip.

I have a friend in the know say that he saw the Std one in auction that went for $900 last year.

Hope they haven't dropped in price that much lol

It's only worth as much as somebody is prepared to pay, as the old saying goes ????

Looking excellent ! :cool:
Won't be long n you'll be able to fill it up and have a drink out of it ,.... something special about drinking out of a really old bottle you've dug up ,.... here's one of mine I refilled with Rasberry Softdrink (a long time ago now) for a guzzle. :Y:
1493607177_screenshot_2017-05-01-12-52-11.jpg

whats the significance of the bottle mate ? I know nothing about them .. Just looks like a bottle with a smilie face pressed into it ...

G'day Ballarat_gold

This is a Codd style bottle.
The first ever bottles that could hold aerated water. Water before this point had to aerated with the old CO2 style canisters.
The bottle was filled inverters and when removed from the filling spout the marble would seal due to the inside pressure.

Once pushed onward it was held by the indents in the neck of the bottle.

This bottle shows a feather next to the embossed KANOWNA.
KANOWNA was originally called White Feather.
Due to the implied nature of a White Feather being given to cowards the local Government Agencies requested the change .

This is the earlier version of the KANOWNA Codd Bottle identified by the Curved text and a right facing Feather.

KANOWNA had a population of 12,800 at its peak.
A large population for the gold rush days here in WA

Latest posts