Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sa_bogan said:
Nice mod on the scoop mate. The only thing I can suggest is getting a hand scoop that has more basket space. The scoop PaulMarr has is fairly narrow and takes longer to dig something out if it's deep. The one I bought has a large mouth and is super strong with a foot plate. Works well in the rocks

Cheers mate thanks, the hand scoop cost me$70(OUCH) its really not worth that at all but i wanted something straght away so i got it at same time as the ace. I said it was flimsy ... And broke it today , but i can rebuild it ... Better .. Stronger ... Faster...
Im inexperienced an have nothing to compare it to but i feel it is a pretty good size. I saw yours ( picture) looks good . Would you mind showing a few more pics for reference? If not too rude .. Could i ask how much you paid? Maybe you could send in email.
As you have probably read, a couple of boys have put in their order /request , definately able , just wondering if i can do it economicaly . I dont want to waste anyones time or money
Darren

Yeah one thing I learnt is you need something solid that will go the distance. The last scoop was good for around 5 to 6 months before it has given way. Neither me or the old man are good t
With the welder so our repairs didnt last long before I put it under too much weight.

The scoop was off eBay and lucky for me the girl friend bought it so it was free :D but it cost her around the $250 mark give or take. It's called the Henry scoop on eBay from that guy in Latvia and he sells all kinds.

If I have learnt one thing from this is to spend that bit extra for something that will last you a long time rather something cheap (which is what I normally do) and keep having to buy replacements

Sandta said:
Today i made/modified my hand sand scoop... Long handle https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1403854484_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1403854511_image.jpg
Im not sure how long this will last ,as the scoop itself is pretty flimsy
I saw sa bogan's new scoop , i reckon i can make one like that ... will stay tuned to hear his review ( weight has been mentioned already)

That's a great idea on a budget, to make it more durable when levering the scoop out of the sand, I'd weld a stay on the rear to prevent putting all the load on just the handle mount. Garrett also make a stainless version of the same hand scoop. A couple of welds on the front section should make it more durable over just the rivets taking the load too.

Like on this aluminium one;

1404004358_img_20140629_104234.jpg

Just had a look at his scoop on eBay, the welding is pretty crappy, no wonder it didn't last :(

Gday goldpick , i knew when i bought it ,it wouldnt last forever,this one is anodized (i would have chosen s/s if hey had one) my mods wont ever break ( no fear of that) , knowing that the basket would fail i left the rivets , though today i replaced them with s/s screws and nylocs .,also silver soldered the cage/basket as the insuficient spot welds came apart . Back in business ... For a while
It is still only light and flimsy... But adequate for high dry(ish) sand
Definately not for rocky stuff

Just read someone wanted a rare earth magnet? very expensive for what is offered,
I'm using magnets the boilermakers ( red in colour) are using and can be bought from almost any welding supply shop, or keep an eye out in the markets,
I got mine for six bucks each and they are super strong, wrap in plastic or glad wrap before using.
Cheers
Goldslave

I made dinner tonight for my loverly partner, Brownie points need topping up !!!!

Cheers
Goldslave

New Table Saw Fence and top for the old saw, now it is 1200 x 650 odd.. the old size was 700 x 450.. made life hard trying to make projects. cutting large sheets of ply and wide boards.

The new fence and rail system is all 3 mm aluminium, locks in place and can easily be lifted off. It is modeled on the Biesemeyer style of table saw fence. I still need to fill the hole at the back with a piece of board and make a couple of wooden faces for the fence but it works great, nice square cuts and easy to set up. At this point it has cost me about $40.00 for everything, $17 for the sheet of black form ply, a few dollars worth of bolts screws and fixings, and about $15 for the Alli off cuts

I was going to make a whole new top, but it turned out too complex, so I modified the frame I had made for the new top and went went from there. There is a slight change in height from the aluminium to the ply but that will be fixed with a sheet of 3mm hardboard, this will allow it to be sanded flat and then replaced when too damaged. it also gives a bit of extra workbench space.

A new sled is in progress and I will post a pic when done.

A few minor mods need to be made but it works much better than my old set up.

Cheers, Tone

1404628177_20140706_154419-1_800x653.jpg

1404628177_20140706_154539-1_1024x902.jpg

Got some 3mm stuff left, thinking of putting a bit more solid sheet on the front scoop as well. Still have to add 2 braces to the handle from each top front corner. Welding a bit ordinary, but still getting my head around welding thin aluminium, the heavier stuff is easier.

Latest posts