Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmark said:
Nice result atomrat...

Keep in mind splitters are supposed to be heavy, helps to stop shuddering and aids with splitting process

Looking forward to seeing the finished result

Cheers

Ill see how I go with the weight, but its not something you want to carry for too long. You mean each time it is hit with a mallet into a log it can shudder and bounce? Is that what you mean by the shudder of that tool

It is the finished result m8, I make things to 'make do' of the work I need it for, I dont need to pretty up things as I just wreck them anyway :lol:

Mackka said:
Love all woodworking tools and great job.
Mackka

Thanks heaps mate :) Only took an hour for the draw knife and 30 mins for the splitter

My latest efforts. A set of hand crafted layout tools. Brass and wood. The marking gauge is Silky Oak, Bevel gauge is Jarah, the try squares are Kwila.

Cheers Tone.
P.S. I polished up one of the wingnuts DD sent me.
1411113661_img_20140919_174925.jpg

TenOunce Tone said:
My latest efforts. A set of hand crafted layout tools. Brass and wood. The marking gauge is Silky Oak, Bevel gauge is Jarah, the try squares are Kwila.

Cheers Tone.
P.S. I polished up one of the wingnuts DD sent me.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/288/1411113661_img_20140919_174925.jpg

Absolutely love them mate, a few decent hours have been put into them I can tell. How precise have you been able to make them? Also, what it the strange bevel shapes in the squares? Most used angles or arc's? Also, are you using brass rivets in them or is that something else. :)

Atom. I will try to answer your qyestions. the Try Squares are one inch and half inch respectively. the rounded ends are 1/2 and 1/4 respectively. there is a notch along the ceter line they allow for a quick measure or use as a depth check. they are brass rivets in the handles. and they have brass wear plates screwed to the faces. they are 90

the bevel is riveted with brass rod through both sides. it is one inch wide by 3/4 thick. the slot in the blade is 1/4 on centre.
the marking gauge blade is made from a hacksaw blade.
the longest time spent was hunting for parts as shown by the various shades of brass in them. now i have made the prototypes, I will make a show set one day!
hope this answers your questions

cheers, tone

Whipped this up tonight, just need to work out the best thing for the piston, just using duct tape but it has good suction.

Next is the bucket trommel and the a connection for the dredge to hook up to a bucket via a hose.

1411127668_image.jpg

Ryan27 said:
aushunter said:
Hey Ryan,
What drawing package are you using there?
Cheers
Brad...
Mostly auto desk Inventor
Tried a few different program's over the years with mixed results.
Inventor is a little overrated and over priced however a good all round product
hi mate, thanks for sharing the program name. ive got so much in my head that i need to get out and this has to be the answer i needed. did a quick check and it comes in trail version for a month, is the trail the usual full version without save and export? and how much is the full version?

cheers :cool:

Kuskus I made one of these last year. there is a tutorial on the forum. I used some thick rubber cut out with a hole saw. tight fight works great. just need a valve of some kind that wont clog up

looks good. im sure it will collect the goods for you

cheers tone

Thanks for the help tone and 20xwater gunna set em all up and see what works best. I'll let ya know the results. :)

20xwater Have you heard of sketchup. it is a 3d drawing program you can get for free. works great. heaps of tutorials on the web..

cheers Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
20xwater Have you heard of sketchup. it is a 3d drawing program you can get for free. works great. heaps of tutorials on the web..

cheers Tone

no but i will check it out...thanks mate

TenOunce Tone said:
Atom. I will try to answer your questions. . . .cheers, tone
Thanks for a thorough explanation on the tools Tone, I love that you are using recycled odds n ends that you can find, and the final product is amazing. It would be great to see a full set of the tools. I'd love to have a go at making some old electronic brass, wood n glass devices that have been designed by early inventors at some point using recycled goods.

TenOunce Tone said:

cheers Tone
I've used a program for many years now called 3d Studio Max. It takes a while to learn, but with youtube now, it makes it much easier to learn. I've used it for many concept designs of many of my projects.

kuskus said:
just need to work out the best thing for the piston
Foam rolled around the piston tube end and loosely wrapped / tied with copper wire seems to be a favorite for some. Like a 3" or 4" 'piston ring'.

TTKooAu said:
Wally69 said:

Wal, did it come about by accidentally breaking one arm off the tool, and then the lightbulb moment struck?.... just curious

TT

No, it was a very deliberate movement of the saw.

I have purchased fiskars scoops before but had my eye on the matching hand rake as I thought it would be useful to rake out the bigger stones from behind boulders prior to classifying. Anyway, as luck would have it, I happened to to stumble across a fiskars kit from bunnings today containing the rake, two scoops (always good to have spares), the fork and a knee mat for $12...... a bargain that I just couldn't walk past.

The fork struck me as a bit useless initially, but between the isle and the checkout the vivid imagery of getting at those golden nuggets stuck in a crevice had set its fate; and after a short date with the saw, the rest is history.

Wally69 said:
TTKooAu said:
Wally69 said:

Wal, did it come about by accidentally breaking one arm off the tool, and then the lightbulb moment struck?.... just curious

TT

No, it was a very deliberate movement of the saw.

I have purchased fiskars scoops before but had my eye on the matching hand rake as I thought it would be useful to rake out the bigger stones from behind boulders prior to classifying. Anyway, as luck would have it, I happened to to stumble across a fiskars kit from bunnings today containing the rake, two scoops (always good to have spares), the fork and a knee mat for $12...... a bargain that I just couldn't walk past.

The fork struck me as a bit useless initially, but between the isle and the checkout the vivid imagery of getting at those golden nuggets stuck in a crevice had set its fate; and after a short date with the saw, the rest is history.

Nice one Wally69. And $12.00 is an absolute bargain.... thanks

*mental note.... move Wally69 to the "Gadget" column

Latest posts