Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinkering in the shed and knocked up a tomahawk for the young bloke with the handle I found detecting last week..Still needs a sharpen :) :Y:
1544252599_img_20181208_55692.jpg

over the last few weekends ive been making, & today nearly finished, my auxiliary battery installation in my old Pajero. A couple of extra sockets to come, & a bit of woodwork to finish the battery cabinet.
This exercise involved learning how to weld aluminium with the MIG welder. Its a tad different to welding steel hey!!
pic 1; this is the existing false floor in the rear, under which the battery cabinet will reside.
1544967462_1_false_floor_reduced.jpg

pic 2; first up was to make a cardboard model of the replacement panel/battery holder. The Pajero used to be a 7 seater, but the rear 2 seats have long since been removed, along with the frame that holds them over the wheel arch. I now removed the piece of plastic panel behind the wheel arch, below the window.
1544967743_2_cardboard_model_reduced.jpg

pic 3; learning to weld Aly, not perfect, but im getting the hang of it.
1544967871_3_learning_to_weld_aly_reduced.jpg

pic 4; the final fabricated panel/battery holder. (the can of green paint seemed a good colour at the time, as I already had a can, & the Paj is a darker green. But it will be hidden under the floor so no concern)
1544968057_4_fabricated_aly_box_reduced.jpg

pic 5; first test fit. went good, with a minor adjustment to the bolt holes.
1544968189_5_test_fit_reduced.jpg

pic 6; rear view, installed & mostly wired up, including wiring to a 2nd Anderson Plug on the passenger side for the fridge.
1544968981_6_installed_-_rear_reduced.jpg

pic 7; top view of the installation. I hope to finish the plywood cabinet this week.
Part 2 of this project to be done in the new year is to install additional sockets above the floor, & a twin detector rack, along with a 50A Anderson socket at the hitch for connection to the trailer.
1544969021_7_installed_-_top_reduced.jpg

The false floor above it will have a hinged section for access.

Eluvial said:
Looking good DD.. And top effort with the welding.. :Y:
haha bit dodgy, but it'll hold. A steep learning curve!
now the hard bits done I can get on with setting up racks & charging stations for my detector batteries & other gear without them floating around in boxes.

You did a great job on that LORD ...

Think I need a bigger work shed so I can make things up like you guys do...

Goody :)

Gday all Ive been making this for a few days now a couple of hours here and there its a Chrissy present for my missus its made from 40mm high tensile reo bar my work had left over and were going to scrap I got it for a carton of beer the shelves are cypress pine pickets from Bunnings I think it came out pretty good the only problem I have is I dont know how Santa will get it into the house as it weighs 170kilos cheers all have a good Chrissy and new year Muk.
1545477341_edac4bf0-8453-4412-b718-ac7f9d33b98b.jpg

yep no one is going to steal that one you might need to include it in your will it will be around for a very very long time

Latest posts