Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of my cooking tonight (poor mans fare). :D
1489913021_20170319_184118.jpg

of course, mine has no rice or bread at all ! ]:D
1489913088_20170319_184206.jpg

I'm gunna tuck in right now ! :p

G'day folks, I cooked my first "chuck" the other weekend. If anyone is into their "low and slow", smoking over charcoal type cooking and hasn't tried one, I highly recommend it :p

Kept it simple and let the meat do the talking, but first roasted and crushed some rock salt and peppercorns (thanks UG ;) ):

1490936260_chuck_1.jpg

Injected it with beef stock and applied some American mustard and the salt/pepper combo:

1490936260_chuck_2.jpg

Onto the Dragon at 10pm with some banksia pods providing a nice smoky flavour.

1490936261_chuck_3.jpg

Woke up the next morning to a delightful aroma in the air :p

1490936643_chuck_4.jpg

Gave it an esky rest for four hours and unwrapped:

1490936644_chuck_5.jpg

1490936644_chuck_6.jpg

The rest speaks for itself :lol:

1490936644_chuck_7.jpg

What a feast it was and still have half of it left for another tasty treat :cool:

Cheers and Beers and Smoked meat :p

Billy.

Mackka said:
Had me worried there Billy when you said a cooked "Chuck", didn't know what to expect but looks tasty.
Mackka :Y: ;)

Haha Mackka, no disrespect for our "own" Chucky Boy" :lol:

That man has my highest respect! :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

there has been some damn good stuff posted here lately, so I thought I should pull my finger out and post up tonight's effort,

Youngest daugher is house sitting for a couple of weeks, so for the first time in 23 years we have the place to ourselves. It's much easier to cook well for two than 5!

Boned and rolled lamb loin with roast veg and reduction sauce.

I roasted little potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, beetroot and sweet potatoes. The lamb was seasoned and well browned before putting it in the oven on a bed of sauteed onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme and bay, with a dash of white wine. When the meat is done, I wrapped it in foil to rest, and added 500 ml of chicken stock to the pan, which was reduced by 2/3rds, Check the seasoning, add some blood plum finishing vinegar, and lightly thicken with cornflour. Serve it forth. Not bad for a Monday night, but the lamb could have been a bit pinker.

Did I eat the fat? You bet!

1491815939_lamb_loin.jpg

Nice to see all the girls at home for Easter. It is rare for them to all be home at once these days. Helen, my eldest had her current boyfriend in tow, who curried favour with dad by bringing some excellent wines.

Made salt and pepper calamari for a snack, then 14 hour slow roasted lamb shanks with buttery mash and lemon and parsley oil. Harissa carrots and peas with crispy proscuitto on the side.

Jannine made a beautiful crumble with home grown granny smiths and quinces. Damn that was good, although I only had a spoonfull.

1492330575_calamari.jpg

1492330601_lamb.jpg

Thanks Doc.
Personally I can't wait for Winter to arrive as that's when my wife drags out the slow cooker and puts on the lamb shanks which we have with silky mashed potatoes and minted peas. I love winter.
Thanks for the future, love it.
I wouldn't mind that calamari recipe if it's not a "Family Secret " ;)
Thanks for your input as always, Doc.
Kind Regards
Mackka

Latest posts