Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i was close :lol:
Still inspired me for pizza though
Damn ... Ive run out of jalapenos
1439020278_image.jpg

Poulet Vallee d'Auge
Chicken, apples and mushrooms with calvados and cider. A delicious dish from Normandy that I make a couple of times a year.

Cook sliced apples in butter till well browned. Take them out and then saute seasoned chicken pieces in more butter till well browned. Take them out, lower the heat and put in finely sliced French shallots with more butter, don't let these go brown otherwise they will taste bitter. Flame with Calvados (apple brandy), throw in some thyme and a bay leaf. Put in a stubby of good cider (I used a cloudy English scrumpy) and reduce to half volume. Add some chicken stock, and put the chicken back in, and cook slowly with the lid on till done.

Meanwhile, cook mushrooms in more butter till done and browned

Take the chicken out of the pan, and add some cream. Reduce to sauce consistency and season with salt and pepper.

Whisk up some creme fraiche (or use regular cream with half sour cream) with an egg yolk and add to sauce on a low heat (don't let it boil) to thicken the sauce slightly.

Put the chicken, mushrooms and apple back in and you are done.

Serve with crusty bread and a salad or a few beans.

It's not bad, and not too hard to make, but like a lot of French dishes, the devil's in the detail.

1439122544_poulet_vallee.jpg

Mmm Calvsdos! havent had that in a while.....but where over here do you manage to get scrumpy from? I ran a pub just outside Taunton in Somerset for a while, and I admit...I did get a taste for it!

Not much prospecting being done by me but at least I am cooking up (in my mind) a storm.
my meat diet. lol...
My absolute favourite meat.
Yesterday I slow cooked a lamb shoulder Greek style in the oven. Came out a treat. Just melted away. Crispy on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside.
Bone pulled out so easy.

IMG_0415%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0417%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

But....
at the same time I was hot smoking some pork bellies into bacon. By the time I had pigged (or is that lambed) out on rendered lamb fat I was too full for some pork.

IMG_0412%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0421%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Ramjet said:
We really need a drool omoticon. Care to share your bacon method HL?

Will definitely do Ramjet. First chance I get. I'm in the process of cooking tea at the moment and am narcotisized by bacon fat whilst cooking bacon and beans with mashed potato. Pics to follow.
What I love about the hot smoked bacon is that it can be eaten without further cooking. I was cubing some up earlier and now I'm high on pig fat.

IMG_0424%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

cairnspom said:
Mmm Calvsdos! havent had that in a while.....but where over here do you manage to get scrumpy from? I ran a pub just outside Taunton in Somerset for a while, and I admit...I did get a taste for it!

Got it from First Choice, which has a good selection of ciders, including the Scrumpy.

Latest posts