Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Where's the Sauerkraut????

Yep I love the stuff too Jaros. Mrs D's mum is German and her dad is part German descent. We eat the one with live culture in it along with anything in bread like sausages, hamburgers, and roast pork, sometimes with Mustard and Tomato sauce too. Oh man I'm hungry now! :drooling:

Garlic, butter, salt, pepper saute beetroot leaf stem with yakitori..
1597569015_20200816_185350_compress91.jpg

Getting the hang of my new charcoal grill/smoker.

Grilled and smoked lamb shank.

Seasoned the shanks well with a home brew rub. No sugar as I am diabetic.

Lit a bed of apple wood briquettes on the bottom grate with some lump charcoal poured from the chimney. Brought it to 150c (roughly 300f) and cooked the shanks directly over the coals without the deflector plate for about an hour and a half until I was happy with the colour.

Put the shanks in a SS tray with a few cloves of garlic, some white wine, sprigs of rosemary and a dash of cider vinegar, and some of the rub and covered with foil.

Back in the WSC for a few hours at around 150c.

The lamb was then very soft, so i put the tray in a cooler to rest (on a couple of wood blocks).

Opened up the bottom and top vents and lifted one side of the deflector plate, over which i roasted a couple of half cooked low carb jacket potatoes and pieces of pumpkin.

The sauce was simply the jus in the pan.

This was damn good and I will cook it again.

1598087660_fb_img_1598087642120.jpg

A friend went fishing yesterday and gave me this magnificent snapper, just over a kilo. He had another that was at least twice the size.

I simply seasoned it with salt and and pepper, lemon, some garlic, dill and home made fermented chilli sauce.

Cooked over charcoal.

Last pic shows that you don't want to waste the good bits in the wings and cheeks.

1598613063_fb_img_1598612842893.jpg

1598613083_fb_img_1598612850680.jpg

1598613107_fb_img_1598612854716.jpg

Made pies with the left over lamb.

Interestingly, the filling tasted much smokier than did the wraps I made originally. Probably the gravy I made to give the lamb some moisture in the pie had absorbed and accentuated the smoky flavor as it included the left over lamb juice from the bottom of the tray in the pic above.

We preferred the chicken curry pies I made last week.

Using filo pastry is a quick and easy way to assemble a pie compared to making a short base and puff top.

Here is a pic of the chicken pies to give you an idea of how to make them. Stack about 6 rectangular sheets of filo with a little olive oil in between the sheets. Then cut the rectangle into two squares of stacked sheets. These go into pie tins, pushed down around the tin to make a space for the filling. Put in the cold filling, and scrunch the sides up to make a parcel. A little olive oil on top and into a hot oven till brown.

1599001382_pies.jpg

Geez that looks even better when you only ate Goanna and mashed potato for 5 days straight.

Pop in to Tom Price and bring ya cook with you please ?

Teemore said:
Rare seared venison steak (aka Bambi) with a mixed salad (aka Rabbit food).

crikey was Bambi dead when you lopped off its leg or is she still hopping awkwardly around in the bush crying softly like only a sweet little kids cartoon can ?

i bet she was still twitching as you ate her

:lol:

Latest posts