To dig or not to dig

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crushed said:
Thanks everyone for the advise and tips . I!m heading back on Saturday with the intention of digging every target . One last question . Why aren't I seeing traces of other detectors having been here ? I counted about 25 holes and I think at least 20 of them were mine !
I will let you know how I went and will learn how to post a photo if the gold gods finally smile on me ! Cheers crushed

In ground like you've described, there's every chance.

Take your time, swing slowly, overlapping your swings, listen hard and dig every target. Use a scrape of your boot to recheck even the tiniest murmur and if it's repeatable, don't move on until you've found out why. And good luck! :Y:

Hi ,finally got back to my "junk" filled paddock yesterday. Set my 4500 on discriminate set at 5 strapped on the double d and away I went . Did a patch of about ten square metres of old pushing's . Yes I dug every target but I scrapped with my boot first , if it moved I walked,if it didn't I had a peck with my pick and jammed my magnet into the loose dirt I found a lot of very fine wire with this tactic probably "bucket " managed to get the usual nails,tin etc but I didn't get frustrated with the digging and back filling of holes as I did previously , as I had a plan . Although I didn't get gold (thanks Bonza and everyone else for the advice) one last question ,I got great depth and smooth running with the double d but should I be in fixed or tracking ? I ran in both and couldn't pick any difference ! Cheers crushed

Crushed said:
I scrapped with my boot first , if it moved I walked

I moved a 33 grammer with a boot scrape many years ago, sounded like a tin can.
Since then I have physically identified every signal.

My wife has always said "plans were made to be changed" so from now on in I check boot scrapes with my magnet then peck with pick etc etc ? Cheers totally crushed

Keep at it until the ground goes quiet, it sucks, but it's also the only way.

P.s. I'd do anything to trade places with you and dig junk on previously undug private property

Latest posts