Things that annoy you irrationally.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
diggit said:
Remote controls for car stereos! I mean the actual headunit is within arms reach!!

Well, actually :argh:

I do use mine because I can skip through to the next song on the play list or turn the volume up/down or answer/hang up the speaker phone without taking my eyes off the road.

I did think it was the dumbest/laziest thing ever when we got the unit installed but now simply find it safer ;)
Also great for when ya sitting around the campfire and your favorite song comes on..You can turn it up without getting off your chair :Y:

Get a scanner programmed with all the latest CFA channels: My 2 have all the trunked , conventional and fireground channels in them . Very handy tool to have in your fire kit . It is another form of communication , especially when the CFA website regularly crashes in he summer .

LoneWolf said:
That's a real good idea just starting.... What type and brand do you have? A very handy bit of kit to have in times of no communication...
I was looking at one of those programmable Baofeng units from Ebay, but I have been told they are illegal in Australia?...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UV-9R-P...=202799557023095eb7419fa54171ba42f4e0b6f9ba77

LW....

Gidday, LW.

I have two Uniden UBCD396XT scanners. I originally bought one for myself and one for a mate who has now passed away ,to use for the CFA stuff and then i found out you could listen to the police ,ambos,DSE etc and i learned how to manually program it ,rather than download the software with the frequencies in it.
Now the CFA is the only service i can listen to after all the others went to encryption.

This is the one i have ; https://uniden.com.au/product/ubcd396xt/ It is P25 phase 1 .

There is a bloke in victoria who programs all the CFA radios ,so i sent the 2 scanners to him to wipe the old stuff off and re-program with all the latest frequencies and the correct files ,codecs and systems to run them both properly ,as well as separating the regions into their own groups and channel banks.
I could have done most of it myself, ,but this bloke sets it up more efficiently than i can.
The fireground channels are a god send. If you are within about 30 to 40 kms of a major fire , you can usually hear the
IMC ( incident management control ) at the fire .ESTA dedicate a channel to communicate with firies on the scene who are in the thick of it. The channel will be a simple number like 265 or 252 .There is a bit of a method operating the scanner to access the fireground channel ,but it is all legal and very informative. I had to use it for the Haddon fire in March or April . A colleague`s Mum was caught in the middle of the fire and he couldn`t make contact for awhile and when he could, he relayed some of the info about the situation to her.

There are better scanners out there that are already programmed and ready to go like the Uniden UBCD436pt P25 phase 2 . More expensive ,but would be well worth the money. The X in the model number means it is the Aussie version. I think UBCD stands for Uniden Bear Cat Digital . They use digital and analogue frequencies.

Smoky bandit said:
Northeast said:
diggit said:
Remote controls for car stereos! I mean the actual headunit is within arms reach!!

Well, actually :argh:

I do use mine because I can skip through to the next song on the play list or turn the volume up/down or answer/hang up the speaker phone without taking my eyes off the road.

I did think it was the dumbest/laziest thing ever when we got the unit installed but now simply find it safer ;)
Also great for when ya sitting around the campfire and your favorite song comes on..You can turn it up without getting off your chair :Y:

You're correct. I shall buy one. Just so I can turn off the annoying music and get back to the crackle of the fire and the Bush Telly Banter without the noise pollution :p :p
:perfect:

Even better would be one who wants to save the world with stories of white walkers coming to kill us all. Has a bit of truth to it all at the end of the day.

The dunning-kruger effect in action, even knowing people are no less of a person with no less rights than any other person. It is like sitting in a circle of people and watching a dog slowly work its way around the group dry humping their legs and knowing its coming your way, and the only choice you have is to resign yourself to the experience or try to head it off.

diggin4gold said:
People saying............. "absolutely"

Instead of saying "yes"
Or "I agree"

But then again, it makes me laugh when they forget and say it again
"Absolutely" :lol:
I have to admit I am one of these people and cannot understand what is annoying about it. :D