Thermo XRF Analyzer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldCompany

Michael Cohen
Reaction score
We constantly use our XRF to get the gold content in the Nuggets.
1366951445_xrf3.jpg

Nearly all the Nuggets have silver content.
1366951473_xrf1.jpg

With the Thermo you get all the precious metals percentages with great accuracy.
1366951574_xrf2.jpg

In some Nuggets we see up to 15 different metals.

If you have one you will know it is a worthwhile investment.

This model is great for site work as it is 100% transportable.

If I sent a small nugget down to you, how much would you charge me for a report?
Can that analyser do a print out?

Hi Gold Miner,

Yes it can do a print out with all the percentages.

Bring it or Send it in I will do it for you my pleasure. No Charge :)

Hi Nugget,

We bought a few of them for our mine in West Africa and for our office in Sydney.

Thermo did us a great deal. With the computer, Stand etc for $19200.00 AUD.

GoldCompany said:
Hi Gold Miner,

Yes it can do a print out with all the percentages.

Bring it or Send it in I will do it for you my pleasure. No Charge :)

Cool! I have some nuggets here that are the cleanest and best looking gold we've ever found. I'm sure we are very close to the source.
PM me your address and I'll send one down next week with a stamped address envelope.
Thanks!!

When used in the field you can detach and carry it pistol grip.
1366953657_xrf4.jpg

only thing, it is radio active so no pointing at anything you want to keep.
1366953686_xrf_5.jpg

It has internal data storage, this is great to keep a record of the grade as you work through an area.
We store on the computer which allows us to overlay on a GPS map.

Att: Mike
GoldCompany
Suite 1, Level 1, Piccadilly Tower
133 Castlereagh Street
Sydney NSW 2000

GoldCompany said:
How do I send a PM?

Ahhh! I see Nugget has disabled your messaging too!!! :D :D ;)
Mate go to your privacy settings in your profile and enable messaging!!

You will then see a message tab in the top task bar, and under the users post count, a PM button!

GoldCompany said:
How do I send a PM?

It was disabled under your profile. I've just enabled it so you should see private messaging options around the place.

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Cheers,
Nugget

Mate of mine's first find, very exciting for him.
1367285321_xrf_6.jpg

Lots of quartz but the XRF shows the yellow metal is 89.09 % pure. Not bad.
1367285365_xrf_7.jpg

Hey Mike,
Might as well keep going in this thread? (Unless Nugget wants to split it?)

I've got a couple of mates up here, that work as geo-pigs, with a big mining company.
Seemingly, they 'just walk around the bush with XRF guns'...?
They log their travels and XRF stuff throughout the day....
Then the real Geo's apparently put this into some software program and this helps tell them where the Drillers should go...
Then the drillers do their cores, and ...then...open cut !!!

When I was talking to these guys, prolly four/five years ago, they said the 'XRF guns were about $70-80k'... I thought it was a great idea, but splashing that cash was a bit rich !! You were saying around $20k for one, well thats more affordable if they can prove to be an asset for a small time miner!

Can you possibly explain the process with XRF detection?
Is it as simple as pointing the gun in the ground and getting a sample?

I do understand some UG theory such as GPR etc, but I am lacking research on this!
Care to comment???

Gold miner said:
Hey Mike,
Might as well keep going in this thread? (Unless Nugget wants to split it?)

I've got a couple of mates up here, that work as geo-pigs, with a big mining company.
Seemingly, they 'just walk around the bush with XRF guns'...?
They log their travels and XRF stuff throughout the day....
Then the real Geo's apparently put this into some software program and this helps tell them where the Drillers should go...
Then the drillers do their cores, and ...then...open cut !!!

When I was talking to these guys, prolly four/five years ago, they said the 'XRF guns were about $70-80k'... I thought it was a great idea, but splashing that cash was a bit rich !! You were saying around $20k for one, well thats more affordable if they can prove to be an asset for a small time miner!

Can you possibly explain the process with XRF detection?
Is it as simple as pointing the gun in the ground and getting a sample?

I do understand some UG theory such as GPR etc, but I am lacking research on this!
Care to comment???

Hi Gold Miner

As the technology gets better and sales increase we see pricing drop. Great for us.

Today's portable XRF devices are user friendly and exceptionally reliable. But still require care as they do use Xray.

Basically the have an internal calibration which is done every time you start the device, once calibrated it is as simple as point at the target area around 10mm and squeeze the trigger.
Within 15 seconds you will have a result of the target minerals percentage. Not volume or yield only quality. It will only tell you if the target mineral is present not the % per ton etc.
Depending on the target minerals you can get different machines and calibrations, which will have different costs. The more it can identify the higher the cost.
If you are targeting metals the machine would be around 20K if you were looking at gases ETC then up to 45K.

With our mining we do test the surface in most areas, but generally we have to drill core samples. We can overlay the results on a GPS mapping program we have, this is useful for future plant placement as well as overburden, dams and camps.

All the mining we have been involved in has been open cast alluvial down to 20 meters in some cases, but ground penetration and location is not something we have used.
But if you a working a shaft or vein it could save you removing dead ground by following the run more accurately.

If you do buy a XRF it might be a good investment to get one with extra capabilities, you never know you might find the next big deposit of ?????? by accident.

Cheers
Mike

Can you tell me why it does not show up the silica content in the rock?

Hi Peko,

I don't think that XRF is the correct equipment for identifying silica you may want to look at X-ray Diffraction (XRD).

Cheers
Mike

I know that XRF will pick up silica and many other different elements as I did work in an assay lab, I was just wanting to know why yours does not?

Latest posts