The Prospector chronicles (a noob's adventures with the GPZ)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wintersnake - Nope, white. But it's slowly turning a lovely dust colour.

Ronk- I'm always up for a catch up with people from here, shoot me a PM!

Thedigger- I'll go and check it out! Thanks mate.

Cheers everyone.
Hopefully this has broken the GPZ in and the nuggets will start flowing in ;)

Bacchus - Only if you join the dark side.

Great posts, and good to see you christened the GPZ, Vic gold still alludes me. I will have to make another trip over the border again soon. Cheers Randolph

10 days since my last nugget... the days are growing shorter, and yet I'm still consumed by what they call the fever...

Dramatic effect aside, no gold for 10 days now, I haven't been getting out every day, and when I do it's not normally the entire day.
I've been spending most of my time near Talbot, where I found the last bit of gold, although today I spent an hour detecting in Castlemaine and having a bit of an explore, it was lots of fun looking around, but I'd have to do a bit more research on where is good to detect. I did find a lovely little bit of clear quartz about 3cm long, with the intact point. it's not gold, but it's shiny!

What I'm finding most annoying about the GPZ (or the settings I'm currently using on it) is the extra noise whenever I hit a small rock or even run over a little plant with the coil... I've been wondering if I can fix this without loosing any depth and sensitivity or if I'm just going to have to put up with it.
Walking over the gold is the other part I need to get better at.

I'm going back to civilisation (Melbourne) again tomorrow so test out a friends new drinking/board game (it's a tough life) so it might not be until Sunday that I have time for some detecting again. Hopefully I'll fit a solid day in!

It had been at least 3 weeks since my last nugget, I was starting to have doubts, ever closer to throwing it all in and trekking back to the concrete jungle just to make a buck.

Funny how your luck seems to turn.

1428389374_11075056_817266498326589_847352806_n.jpg

4 little babies from a surfaced area where I found my first ever little picker with an SDC last year. Smallest bit is 0.01 grams, but the GPZ gave a very clear signal, I was seriously impressed!
Settings were High yield, 18 sensitivity, using headphones instead of the speaker for the first time, mostly because it was pretty windy.
All from within a few meters, there is still a lot of the surfaced area to explore, the only reason I'm not back there right now is because a storm was brewing and giving me a fair bit of interference.

Also please note the first part of this (and many of my posts) is over dramatised ;)

So it's been a while since an update, heres a quick one:

Found a few more bits of small gold with the GPZ, I've totaled just over 2 grams all up.
Dad comes out and in one day finds a 1.45 gram nugget with an SDC plus one smaller bit. I'll post some pictures later. Needless to say I'm a bit jealous.
I just secured permission to detect on some private property not too far from Clunes, with an old mine on it. Hopefully headed there on Monday.
The downside is, I only have 20 days left till I'm flying back to London for at least 4-6 months.

AusFX said:
What I'm finding most annoying about the GPZ (or the settings I'm currently using on it) is the extra noise whenever I hit a small rock or even run over a little plant with the coil... I've been wondering if I can fix this without loosing any depth and sensitivity or if I'm just going to have to put up with it.
Just need to make sure there is no movement from a loose coil bolt, and make sure that the coil lead isn't moving around down low when you bump into anything,... tape it up a bit(the lead), and if that doesn't fix it, get a new nylon bolt for the coil(maybe).

AusFX said:
10 days since my last nugget... the days are growing shorter, and yet I'm still consumed by what they call the fever...

Dramatic effect aside, no gold for 10 days now, I haven't been getting out every day, and when I do it's not normally the entire day.
I've been spending most of my time near Talbot, where I found the last bit of gold, although today I spent an hour detecting in Castlemaine and having a bit of an explore, it was lots of fun looking around, but I'd have to do a bit more research on where is good to detect. I did find a lovely little bit of clear quartz about 3cm long, with the intact point. it's not gold, but it's shiny!

Walking over the gold is the other part I need to get better at.

I'm going back to civilisation (Melbourne) again tomorrow so test out a friends new drinking/board game (it's a tough life) so it might not be until Sunday that I have time for some detecting again. Hopefully I'll fit a solid day in!
This may help:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21493-how-to-remove-noise-from-debris-gpz-7000

I've noticed the same thing recently, and it's mainly been in General, as High Yield runs stable. I've been stuck at home for a while looking after sick family members, so took sime time to do a bit of maintenance.
Took the skidplate off and noticed a bit of black sand in there, so cleaned it all up. I also taped up a bit of sponge tape as JP suggested in the bottom of the coil. Also put a small square closer to the centre after I took the pic. Will test soon and report back.

1430957217_coil.jpg

Nice piece. Yet to see gold with my Zed but I have only used it once.

I have taped the edges of my coil as I can see dirt getting caught around the edges. I only get noises if I knock the coil hard although I may add the foam as others have done just in case.

Now all I have to do is learn how to read an area so i can at least have a chance of walking over gold.

Proper update time!

I'm still to find anything like phase tech's bit... That is gorgeous by the way.
But I've been having some more luck!

Dads two bits we found while on a tour with Darren from gold and relics, vs my one bit. Dad was using the SDC, I was using the GPZ. I was rather impressed with the depth I got from the GPZ on a bit this small (.27 grams). A good 6 inches down. But dad got the real prize, a 1.45 gram nugget, plus another .13 bit.
1514943_818226144897291_8275552713324667543_n.jpg

But our new private permission is what's got me all excited... It's between Clunes and Castlemaine, in an area that I havn't been able to find much mention of mining. But its very clear that it was at least an old timer hard rock mine.
Here are some pictures of the area:
11204981_831352506917988_2893431862872712591_n.jpg

Some damn nice looking quartz, which was everywhere!
11223308_831354506917788_6466981333719889898_n.jpg

11259812_831356496917589_3607844350620359267_n.jpg

11203167_831360220250550_6432324555284963929_n.jpg

HUGE boulders of quartz, GPZ for scale
21802_831360466917192_4165692939332513190_n.jpg

11109179_831360530250519_1871030091526239932_n.jpg

My first find was my best relic find to date! Sadly, it broke while I was digging it up, never the less a really cool find. Right next to a hole, I reckon the miner had dug a little perch in the side to store a few items. A clay pipe with a bit of brass attached:
11257127_831367413583164_5432720510382208899_n.jpg

And now the exciting part!
On the very top of the reef, I found a beautiful specimen piece. A sandwich of quartz, ironstone and gold. It's not super easy to make out in the photo, but a lot of the brown stained areas are also gold.
10153046_831365623583343_3074869678546299135_n.jpg

On top of that, I was getting a very nice signal from a completely white bit of quartz from the same hole, which after I introduced him to Hammer time produced another lovely little bit of gold.
1510441_831367153583190_5801451412971963385_n.jpg

There is a gully that looks almost perfect for gold right in the middle of the reef, which looks like it didn't have much old mining activity compared to the reef above. I prospected down the upper part of it, but its very steep and I think if there are any nuggets, they will be a bit further down.
But sadly the weather turned a bit crappy the next day, and I haven't been back again yet. I would brave the rain, but it's a solid 20 minute walk up hills to get there from the farm house, so I'm waiting for a day where I wont be caught in the rain.
To top this off, I'm going back to London in less than 2 weeks for at least a solid 6 months of work, so with that in mind, I want to get at least 2 more trips in before I leave. On the plus side, being private property, it should all still be there when I get back later this year ;)

Latest posts