The Play in the Fields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey DWT
Is Everything Ok,
starting to think big nugget and metamorphic may have really paid you a visit,
or did you get lost in the jumping castle.

awaiting in anticipation of another enthralling episode.

Yeh good call BMZ!

Its unlike like the big fella to not finish something he started.

Must be writers cramp :eek:

Piss Poor Excuses 101
The dog ate my notes :/ if you have seen my dog you would believe me!
I got tied up :rolleyes:
The mrs won't let me use the iPad :mad:
Big Nugget & Meta actually paid me a visit............... :lol: :|
Been busy killing the first ever ZOMBIE, he didn't get time to infect others, I actually saved you all :cool:
Oh crap I have to go to work :eek:

Soon people, soon :)

"My GOD man!" exclaims Lead "I have never seen a man sweat so much from just eating food"
"Sweat!" Says Havelock, as he starts to grasp his stomach
"Will that be enough?" Asks Sheathe
"It will suffice, I can assure you of that" replies Hoist as he begins to wipe the sweaty shirt across the second page.
"LOOK!, more words appear" states Sheathe,
As the four men glare intensely at the sheet another code begins to expose its self right in front of them.

Hours pass.
"Any luck Hoist?" Asks Sheathe
"I'm done my friend" replies Hoist
"YEEEEHAW!" Remarks Lead as he glances over to view Havelock still laying on his side clutching his stomach
Hoist clears his throat as he begins to read the second and final part of the code.
'He who rests below the feet of our Lord,
From that of letters and numbers in code written in reverse,
First of the first, and fourth of the last from that of letters to numbers in code there you will find the scroll of wealth."

"Well surprise surprise, that made a lot of ruddy sense!" exclaims the sideways crouched Havelock
"Leave it be mate" says Sheathe
Hoist stands up and walks towards the stain glassed window in the church and begins to point at the name at the base of the window.
"He who rests at the feet of our lord, Edward George Gregory Sanford,
Written in reverse, first of the first, fourth of the last,
firstly I wrote down Sanfords name with corresponding numbers below them, so the letter A matches with number one, B matches with number two and so on.
A B C D E F.........
1 2 3 4 5 6........
What I have done next is write down Sanfords name backwards
Which would look a little something like this" Hoist holds up the reverse written name for the three other men to view.
' drawde egroeg yrogerg drofnas '
Then I matched up the corresponding letters according to the code of 'first of the first fourth of the last' which means the first letter of the first name, second letter of the the second name, third of the third and of course fourth of the last, now we have this"
Hoist holds up the cracked code.
'Drawde eGroeg yrOgerg droFnas'
4. 7. 15. 6.
"4,7,15 and 6 are the numbers we are looking for and they have to have some relevance to this church!" exclaims Hoist
"Well what would you suggest Hoist?" asks Lead
"Let's look around and see what we can find" replies Hoist as he looks over at Sheathe
Sheathe nods in agreement.
The three men start searching the church for numbers that could hopefully, finally put an end to their search, Hoist pauses for a moment,
"What's the matter lad?"asks Sheathe as his gaze moves towards Havelock laying on his side still clutching his stomach.
"What happens when we find this next item, will it be just another ruddy clue, and what the hell are we looking for anyway, I'm mean Sanford references wealth, but to what end, is it going to be gold"
"Gold coins I'm hoping" states Lead as he lifts a chalice to view under it for a hidden number
Sheathe rolls his eyes as he looks at Lead who is looking in the most ridiculous spots for hidden numbers
"Get a grip of yourself lad" says Sheathe "we are so close now I can taste the scroll"
"Scroll?, what scroll?" Asks Hoist as he begins to stand
"Nothing lad!" Quickly remarks Sheathe as moves away pretending to look at the ceiling.
"But Sheathe?" Asks Hoist
"Never mind lad, keep searching" Says Sheathe cutting Hoist off mid sentence.
Hoist looks over at Havelock now sitting upright, The strange look on Havelock's face as he watches Sheathe move towards the stain glass window only adds confusion to Hoists thoughts as he steps out from behind one of the church pews, at that moment Hoists hand brushes something on the end of the pew, Hoist looks down
"A number" Hoist says
"Where?" Calls out Lead
"On the end of the church pews" replies Hoist as he squats down to get a closer look
"It looks like the number 8" says Hoist
"Hmmm, I wonder....., LOOK FOR NUMBER FOUR!" Yells Hoist in an excited manner
"HERE!" Yells Sheathe
The two other men race to Sheathe to view the number four.
"Alright," says Hoist as he pauses for a moment "Seven is the next number"
"If seven people were sitting along this seat the seventh person would early be sitting directly in front of that stack of bibles" says Lead
"By joe your right you know" replies Hoist as he heads for the stack of bibles.
"I GOT IT " yells Sheathe as he jumps a row of pews to get to the stack of bibles before Hoist, Hoist and Lead look at each other confusingly.
"Look for the fifteenth bible on the sixth row" says Hoist
"Got it" replies Sheathe "it's stuck!" Exclaims Sheathe
Hoist moves in beside Sheathe and pushes the bible
'CLICK'
Hoist and Sheathe look at each other.
A secret compartment at the base of the pew drops down, out rolls a scroll.

Sheathe quickly snatches it up and produces a hidden blade to the throat of Hoist
"WHAT THE F##K ARE YOU DOING SHEATHE!" Yells Lead as he stops mid stride
"BACK OFF LEAD OR I'LL SLIT HIS THROAT"
Sheathe pushes Hoist to his knees as the blade remains at his throat,
"I have it!" Exclaims Sheathe
"Have what!" Asks Lead, "WHAT IN GODS NAME ARE YOU DOING SHEATHE!" Lead yells
"The treaty, I have it," Sheathe looks up at Lead "you wouldn't understand you dim witted fool"
Lead goes to move forward, the blade presses tighter against Hoists throat
"STOP!" Cries Hoist
Havelock rises " STOP BEING A DAMMED FOOL SHEATHE, LET HOIST GO!"
"NOT ANOTHER MOVE YOU TWO, I WILL CUT HIM FROM EAR TO EAR!" Says Sheathe as the blade begins to draw blood
"You three fools have no idea what I got, this is going to change the future of this country and see power returned to those who know what to do with it"
Sheathe starts moving backwards, an ever present pressure of the the blade still pressing on Hoists throat.
Lead and Havelock's angry glare turn into wide open shocked faces, Sheathe pauses
"WHAT!" Yells Sheathe
"Um, behind you!" Exclaims Lead as he points in the direction over Sheathes shoulder.
A warm sticky substance runs down the face of Hoist as a flesh tearing sound brings silence to the room.
Lead and Havelock freeze in fear as the blade at Hoists throat drops to the floor, Hoist slowly turns around,
"Just in time I'd say Britt" says The Turk as he removes the blade from the now slumped body of Sheathe.
"Absolutely" replies The Britt as he steps out from behind Havelock and Lead
Havelock and Lead quickly spin around to see the blade bearing Britt staring down at them not inches away
'RRRRRRUP!' The Britt looks down at Havelock's trousers,
"I think I just shat myself" states Havelock.

To be continued............

The stain glassed window in the church :eek:

1434235599_image.jpg

1434235620_image.jpg

Meanwhile,
"Another?"
"Yep, pour another" replies the husky voice of Sergeant Coster
James Bentley pours another poor quality shot of scotch for the Sergeant
"Not a too bad of a pub you got here Bentley"
"Aye, Tis alright I spose"
"No we don't care how it gets done, but it's gotta happen tonight!"
"Yeah, I realise that,"
"I'll be posted out the back, myself and my men will be in civilian attire, might I suggest you commit the act in the latter of the evening, one or two dead miners is all we need, an all out massacre will merely thwart our plans!"
Major Darbyshire of the Fusiliers skulls his last shot of whisky and slams it down on the bar, takes one last look at Coster and Bentley and exits through the rear of the Eureka Hotel.
The night slowly rolls in as it does with the diggers, tales of record finds and hardships are spoken loudly and loosely amongst the diggers, smells of sweat, old clothes, dirt and dust fill the air along with cheer and laughter, beer and whisky are spilled across the floor as the bar maids struggle to push their way through the ever growing crowd.
The night draws to a close.
Diggers begin to leave, drunken and broke, heading back to their tents and huts that lay scattered across the fields.
'Bang bang'
"COME ON, OPEN UP, WE JUST WANT ONE DRINK!"
"Leave em be Scobie" says a voice in the dark
"No, no, come on Martin, you've just arrived, let's have another drink"
Peter Martin and James Scobie start kicking in the door of the Eureka Hotel
"PISS OFF YA BASTARDS" yells Bentley
"Why don't you piss off Bentley, and tell ya mrs ill be waiting for her out the back as usual hahaa!" Laughs Scobie in a joking manner
Bentley charges the two diggers who quickly turn and bolt from inside the Hotel
"This is it men"
Major Darbyshire and 3 men quickly exit the rear of the Hotel to join Bentley in pursuit of the two drunken diggers.
'CRACK!'
Scobie drops to the ground, blood running from the back of his skull,
Some six men now surround the two diggers, violence erupts, punches and kicks are relentless as the two diggers lay helpless in defence, a Fusilier draws a blade,
"No weapons!" Remarks Darbyshire "just beat the the sods to death,
As the continuing blows roll into the two diggers Martin manages to break free and escape into the darkness, but not so lucky for Scobie.
Scobie lays upon the dirt, blood running from multiple deep abrasions upon his face, Bentley, his wife, three other men and Major Darbyshire and his Fusiliers all stand over the slowly dying Scobie,
Major Darbyshire steps forward,
"Don't worry me boy, we'll take care of you"
Scobies eyes roll to the side to view the Major, hope arises that he may be being rescued, the Major smiles at him, Scobie struggles to say the words
"h h help me...."
"Why of course lad" replies the Major as he raises his right foot and in an unrelenting flurry of stomps crushes the skull of James Scobie.

Word spreads amongst the diggings, 'MURDER', 'BLOODY MURDER' is heard being hollowed across the fields, an angry crowd of diggers assembles at the front of the Eureka Hotel, blended amongst them is Major Darbyshire and his Fusiliers,
Commissioner Rede has ordered his troops to form a Guard line along the front of the Hotel which further fuels the anger of the diggers
"BURN THE BLOODY JOINT TO THE GROUND" cries out a digger
"HANG BLOODY BENTLEY FROM THE IRON BARK" cries out another digger, the mob grows, and with it does the intensity of the anger, a stone goes flying over the heads of Commissioner Redes troop, Bentley runs for a horse handed to him by the guard, the straw has broken the camels back,
Major Darbyshire nods at his men, in a well executed attack they rush the Hotel and start smashing at it like a stamper mill on Quartz.
Major Darbyshire slips around the side unnoticed by the crowd and guard,
"And so the plan comes together"
Major Darbyshire swings to the side to see Sergeant Coster leaning against the adjoining bowling saloon and a small fire beginning at his feet
"About time you dirtied you hands Coster" remarks Darbyshire as the Sergeant steps to the side as the fire grows
"My hands are dirty enough Major!" Replies the Sergeant
"Well they're about to get muddy Sergeant, words afoot that licence checks are sprouting to twice weekly now, if this isn't enough to bring the diggers to rage we shall step it up a notch with further actions, and Ballarat seems to be the place to do it"
The two men disappear into the smoke from the now burning Saloons, the Eureka hotel is past saving as the angry mob of diggers and Commissioner Redes troop are pushed back from the intense flames.

A dark silver encrusted buggy sits upon a hill in the distance viewing the now engulfed hotel burning to the ground, chants of "down with Hotham" "death to Rede" can be heard crying out along the diggings,
A curtain is pulled back from inside the buggy,
"And so it begins" says a voice from inside
"Yes it does your eminence" replies the well armed driver
"Back to Bendigo your eminence?" Asks the driver
"No" replies the voice
"Let's proceed to Bairnsdale"
"As you command" replies the driver as he bows and takes mount upon the drivers seat of the buggy.

To be continued...............

Hoist takes a piece of over cooked rabbit from the make shift spit,
he looks over at Havelock and Lead, they're faces plain and saddened, the flickering of the fire shows a lonely tear rolling down the left check of Lead, hoist looks to the side of Lead,
the fire tells a different story, for behind them sits The Britt and The Turk sharpening their weapons, no tears, no emotion, just pure focus on ensuring their weapons are razor sharp, as The Britt lifts his shortened broadsword to look along the edge to see if the blade bears any flaws he notices Hoist looking at him.
"Something on your mind lad?" Asks The Britt in a dark booming husky voice
Hoist quickly looks away, then gathers up the courage to say
"Are we next to meet the end of your blade?"
The Britt grins at Hoist
"No lad" is the reply as The Britt apples some strange oil to his blade, Hoist watches as The Britt carefully places the sword in its scabbard, taking extra care not to touch the blade itself,
'Interesting' Hoist thinks to himself as his gaze returns to his two saddened friends.
"How could we not know!" Cries Havelock as he slumps his head into his hands
"Who really knows every mans secrets Havelock" replies Lead
"True, he was a good friend, but he held a blade to Hoists throat, aye, he was a traitor"
"To What" remarks Havelock
"Well I'm guessing that's what those two rhino size gentleman behind us could shed some light on"
Lead turns to his side to speak to The Britt and The Turk,
"Where the F....., SOMEONE WANT TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TWO MEN CARRYING MORE STEEL THAN A LOCOMOTIVE CAN SIMPLY DISAPPEAR WITHOUT A SOUND"
Hoist and Havelock quickly jump to their feet,
"Holy shite, where they gone?" Asks Havelock
"I've no idea" says Hoist
'crack'
Whispering,
"Ya hear that!"
"Yeah I heard that"
"Someones out there"
"Is it them?"
"I'd highly doubt it, those two blended into the darkness without a sound I doubt they'd be fumbling around out there like a couple of drunkerd fools"
Hoist Lead and Havelock slowly move closer to the fire, fear starts to take over, their eyes straining to look out into the darkness,
'crack' another twig breaks coming from their left side,
'swish' the sound of something moving through the thick brush swings their attention to their right side,
Hoist starts to tremble,
"RAAAAAARGH" a war cry screams out in the night, once perched sleeping magpies and galahs spring to life in startled manner screeching and calling from their slumber as they take flight,
Hoist turns to face his left side,
'THUD' Hoist hits the ground,
Havelock spins around to see someone kneeling above hoist raising his blade in the air, Hoist raises his hands and catches the downward thrust of his attacker.
"HEEEEELP" screams hoist as his attackers pressure is growing greater, forcing the blade even more closely to his chest, Havelock springs to action laying his dusty old boot into the ribs of Hoists attacker,
"CRACK" Havelock's body slumps as a blow from an old tree branch knocks him cold to the ground,
Lead steps up throwing a flurry of punches into the second attacker, the two men fall to the ground, now wrestling each other and throwing punches and kicks as they scream and roll across the thick undergrowth,
"Arrrrgh!" Hoist struggles to keep the blade from piercing his chest the breath of his attacker now foul and rotten almost makes Hoist vomit,
'THUD'
To his side lands a blade, Hoist recognises the blade,
"They're back!" Hoist says to himself
The young lad gathers strength from deep down inside, he releases the grip on his attackers forearms and leans to the side as his attackers blade finds nothing but soil,
Hoists hand reaches out for the blade thrown to him, he clutches it hard, and with an almighty thrust Hoist sinks the blade deep into the ear of his attacker, the blade catches on something for a split second, Hoist pauses for a moment as his attackers body starts to convulse,
"Push it deeper lad" says a voice, Hoists eyes look up to see the Britt walking past to render assistance to Lead who is still rolling and fighting the second attacker
Hoist follows the direction he was given
"HrrrAAAAAAGH" Hoist forces the blade even harder, the attackers hat falls off as Hoist realises that he has forced the blade clean through his attackers skull, blood and brain now roll out of the crevice from where Hoist has withdrawn the blade.
The Britt moves over to where Lead continues to fight the second attacker
"That'll be enough out of you" The Britt deals an overhand right punch to the back of the head of the second attacker, like a blunt axe on wood the thud could heard for miles, Lead forces the now unconscious body of of himself
"YA TOOK YA BLOODY TIME" yells Lead as he picks himself up,
"Sssssh now" replies the Britt as he bends down to pick up the second attacker,
'crack'
more branches break as The Turk emerges from the bush with two more bodies on each shoulder,
'THUD'
Hoist and Lead look down to see two bodies with no heads,
"Dear god!" Says Lead as his turns his shocked face to the side
"Who are they?" Asks Hoist
"That's what we're going to find out lad" replies The Britt as he lifts Leads attacker up with one hand, and holds him against an iron bark tree, the Britt turns to face Hoist and with an outstretched hand says to Hoist,
"My blade lad"
Hoist looks down at his hand still clutching the blade that saved his life.
The Britt takes the blade from Hoist.......
'THUD'
A scream cracks the night air as the once unconscious attacker is awakened from a sharp blade now pining him through the shoulder to the iron bark tree.
The attacker hangs some four foot from the ground,
"Who are ya, where you from, who sent ya," asks The Britt as he places his hand on the face of the attacker,
The attacker looks up at the Britt and doesn't speak a word, his teeth gritted tight, blood runs down his arm as he lifts his left hand to push away The Britts grip on his face,
"I'll not be asking ya a second time" growls theThe Britt
The attacker spits in the face of The Britt
"Have it your way then" says The Britt as he crushes the eye of the attacker making it pop like an egg under foot
"AAAAAARGH!" Screams the attacker
Hoist and Lead turn away
"TALK!" Barks The Britt as his hand moves to the attackers other eye
"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!" Says the attacker
The attacker struggles to breathe, the searing pain from the blade that has him hanging from the tree has now been over come by the pain of his burst eyeball.
"TOP POCKET, TOP POCKET!" Cries the attacker
The Britt removes his hand from the attackers face and reaches in his pocket and removes a folded piece of paper.
"Read this" The Britt hands the folded paper to Hoist
Hoist reads it out loud
"This is an open contract for the kill capture order of one Andrew Hoist, Jonathan Lead and David Havelock, quarter shall be given to Jim Sheathe, as he is acting under the direct order of Governor Hotham.
All items recovered from these three men are to be returned to the Governor at upmost haste.
A man by the name of Sergeant Coster shall be your contact for the tracking of these criminals, also, I have authorised the contracting of Boyd and Big Nugget.
All officers of the law and military are to give the above named men and associates quarter and safe passage.
Signed
Excellency In Command
William C Haines."
"Good god, what the hell we gotten ourselves into" remarks Hoist as his step staggers slightly,
"A fight lad, a fight that if lost, will see this country slip into the hands of dictators and corruption" remarks TheTurk as he turns to look at The Britt.
"So they're onto us ole friend"
"Aye" replies The Britt
"But we have two names now, Boyd and Big Nugget, it seems we need to catch up with these two and extract some more info from them, there's more to this than we know at a guess, and the fact that Boyd and Big Nugget were mentioned by name would suggest that they have valuable information to contribute"
The Britt and The Turk start giggling like children in a candy store,
Hoist looks down at the satchel holding the scrolls that have nearly cost him his life on numerous occasions,
"DAMNED BLOODY THINGS!" Hoist reaches down to grab the satchel and toss it into the fire,
"HOIST NO!" Cries out Lead
Hoist freezes as the razor sharp edge of The Turks battle axe rests ever so gently on his throat,
"I like you laddie!" Says The Turk, "don't make me end ya!"
"Stand down Turk" says The Britt as he leans down and picks up the satchel
"Easy now lad, this is of greater importance than all of us"
Groans come from the iron bark tree from where Leads attacker still hangs, The Britt looks over and nods at The Turk,
In a lightening fast move the battle axe slams into the throat of the attacker severing head from body, blood pumps itself out of the neck as the Turk removes the blade from the attackers shoulder,
'Thud!'
The attackers headless body slumps to the ground merely missing the unconscious Havelock who now is awakened by the sound,
Havelock sits upright rubbing the back of his head and groaning
"Aaaw, my bloody skull is killing me" Havelock looks up to see the head of a man resting upon a battle axe wedged in a tree,
'Flop'
Havelock passes out,
"Pick up your friend lads" says The Britt " we're making for the caves on the coast"

To be continued...........

Bravo!

That last piece held me totally immersed in its descriptive, real-to-life oeuvre.

'Great Works' mate ;)

Latest posts