The "other" reasons we do this hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our main goal and drive is chasing that rare coin, old artifact, our very own little peice of history, the elusive gold nugget and some short change to buy the paper on our way home.

But there are other reasons why we should appreciate our hobby just that little bit more, it is a big part of what we do but never gets a mention is a "good" find, and that is.

TRASH

Yep trash, its a big part of what we do and digging it takes up 90% of our time when out chasing treasure.

I was looking through the photo gallery on my phone and came across this that I found in the sand at the local playground a few months ago.

1452687555_2016-01-11_17.30.18.jpg

8)

I saved some kid getting a nasty gash that day and probably the council getting a nasty bill to pay.

So everyone, give ya selves a nice little pat on the back for making Australia cleaner and safer :D

M3

Yes M3 ,... Trash,... the bane of society,... the by-product of civilization that no one wants to take with them,... cept the good, the proper, and the detectorist (being both anyway).
Here's mine from last year. :eek:
There was probably more, but I would have cashed a bit in and threw a bit out at some stage.
1452689297_sam_5502.jpg

This years is just a bit in the bottom of a bucket so far, and still in the boot of the car at the moment.
I know I should deal with it all,... but the prices for scrap metal are so low at the present time I'd still just keep it once I've sorted it anyway.
Would like to be able to melt it all down into ingots of lead, aluminium , copper and brass to be able to store it much easier(one day maybe). ;) :D

its downtime, with a bit of exercise thrown in :) I throwaway all my rubbish, the scrap place demand I have an ABN to sell it.

rocketaroo said:
its downtime, with a bit of exercise thrown in :) I throwaway all my rubbish, the scrap place demand I have an ABN to sell it.

Send the kids into sell your scrap , i know with aluminum cans we get better money if my brothers kids drag them in , the money goes to them anyway

Holy Silver 8) :eek: now that is some trash collection you have there, give yourself an extra pat on the back for that effort mate :D

I throw my trash in the bin at the park aswell, dont think the wife would like me collecting trash too, she thinks the stuff I keep to bring home is trash, haha

Your absolutely correct about the sharps and dangers we dig from parks though mate. The fresh bark that got layed on all the parks here a couple of months ago had many chunks of sharp aluminium and nails / bolts. They must come off the ground as it gets scraped up into the truck for transport and not really that safe for children's parks..luckily there's people like us!

Keeping them close to show others that's you are removing the nasty items helps a lot with your status in the crowds.

I wish we still had can recycling here in VIC..

Thats it AtomRat, you dont know what is lurking beneath the surface, the park i found this bolt is reasonably new too, less then 6 months old, so must of been dropped during construction. And my son plays in this playground, it could of been his foot that stood on it.
I always atleast keep a photo of the evidence of what i'm finding incase someone confronts me I can show them what I am also finding. Its not just the treasures we are picking up.

rocketaroo said:
There are limits,up to $62 (?) Transaction no details required, $325 per transaction (?) at one time per non abn holder, no collusion to break up transactions and I'm sure under $1000 pa no tax to be payed or declared. Should be a simple statement by supplier form to fill out and they could issue an rcti on the spot fulfilling yours and there obligations. You can even go over the $300 limit if you fill out all the parts of the declaration and give reasons.

Sounds strange to me, you reckon a yard would want every dollar it could. I can't count how many blokes went from private to abn holders and who ended up bringing in tonnes of stuff once they got a taste for the cash. The tax rules are with the private supply bloke so he can cash his tinnies in for the year without it being painful, but stop anyone selling larger amounts avoiding tax. It's been a while so im a bit foggy on exact details but there really shouldn't be an issue, if there is it's the yard being unhelpful.

Latest posts