The must haves for camping.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
army hootchie,a few occy straps and four tent pegs and hootchie cord
3/4 length self inflator
sleeping bag
bivvy bag
jet boil and or trangia and cups canteen
lighter
torch
baby wipes
foot powder

good to go

you can cut the cost on some of that by joining the army and having it issued to you otherwise its maybe $300 worth of gear
add some food and a pan and E.T and youve got a fossicking trip in a bag
walk, motorbike or car and your on your way

For me I have the deluxe setup with almost everything you can think of when im going for a week or so. I also do the rough enough is good enough setup all you need is

somewhere to sleep tent bed pillow blanket before I met the Mrs it was just sleeping bag and spare clothes for pillow

something to cook on disposable gas canister cooker they also double as a lighter for when you forget the matches fry pan billy for boiling water and vegies or just tins of peas and corn straight on the cooker esky for beer and food these are very good for the price they are http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=techni+ice&_frs=1

light a torch or 2 some cheep very good led ones out there that take a 6v battery and have a battery life of over 30hrs

security a cheep tarp and tent pegs if you are leaving stuff at camp peg the tarp over it out of light out of mind I have never had a problem this way

a seat, shovel and bucket doesn't go astray either

almost everything else is luxury items and you can work on them over time

backcreek said:
Oh and the other golden rule is if you take something along and don't use it, it doesn't come next time. :D

This rule would not apply to the first aid kit. I hope we never use it but always take it.

Cheers,
DD

I don't get it. You go on a perfectly sensible trip with all the gear to find gold...and you take a female along.

Wow, I really don't get it!

condor22 said:
Someone's got to carry the slab :eek:

I said that tongue in cheek, my wife actually gives me a leave pass to go off by myself as she is not physically able to detect or dig. and,

As she put it, "couldn't see the point of sitting around for me to come back each day, when she could do that in the comfort of her own home".

:)

Fuel for generator and pumps

SunriseBoy said:
I don't get it. You go on a perfectly sensible trip with all the gear to find gold...and you take a female along.

Wow, I really don't get it!

You should hear my Missus....Always at me ..."When are we going to go look for gold again.
The Nowendoc River and Rowleys River to the west of Taree can give up some gold....in minute quantities...but she is happy enough to dig and pan.
She loves to get out to "The real goldfields" though.

My Missus want to move house...to the goldfiels...buy land and build...so we can go more often.

Drop toilets, thunder box or lime treated don't break down synthetics. They also react badly to the chemicals that are used in Porta Pottis.

BTW I've never used chemicals in my van toilet or porta potti, I use BioMagic or similar. Some van parks allow this to be emptied into their septic systems, they won't allow the chemicals.

A shovel and a good ol' roll of poo tickets is the go for me, find a branch on a fallen tree at the right height, dig a hole under it and perch ya arse on the branch and contemplate what you're going to do for the rest of the day, backfill the hole when the paperwork is finished and wash your hands in the creek/river when you get back to camp.
It may be a bit rough for some but it adds to the experience of camping in the bush for better or worse :lol:

Ungybungyboh said:
If using baby wipes, please do good old mother nature a thought when disposing of them...they are synthetic...Its not real tissue.

I would advise against reading the Telegraph as your sole source of news also but its the quickest link I could find....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-down-the-toilet/story-fnpn118l-1227146843427

You gotta buy flushable wipes. They just dissolve like regular old TP. Looks like someones already come up with a solution to baby wipes

ProspectorPete said:
A shovel and a good ol' roll of poo tickets is the go for me, find a branch on a fallen tree at the right height, dig a hole under it and perch ya arse on the branch and contemplate what you're going to do for the rest of the day, backfill the hole when the paperwork is finished and wash your hands in the creek/river when you get back to camp.
It may be a bit rough for some but it adds to the experience of camping in the bush for better or worse :lol:

Till the branch breaks. :lol:
Yep, Been there and done that.

ProspectorPete said:

I like your style. I haven't gone to the effort of looking for a seat. Usually just grab the pick, dig a hole and squat. Something special about knowing you're returning a nugget to the earth. If I'm feeling cheeky I'll drop a bit of lead shot in the hole before filling it in :lol:

Oh if you're going to be sleeping in the car and it's hot as hell at night don't forget a 12v oscillating fan to keep you cool at night

Latest posts