That pump walk situation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey Boss No offense taken at all mate. :D
Take a lot more than that and I enjoy constructive criticism.
I was actually sitting here with a big grin on my dial.
It is very effective but getting around the latching is a bit tricky but that will keep me amused
out on the field. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you wish to go down this path send me a PM and I will supply you the details on where you can get the gear to do it.
All up it cost me about $150.00 to do.

I'm more interested in using the controller and unit for remote control hmmmm robotics I guess I would say..

Is the wireless just line of sight though?

Nice n cheap mod though and something new to keep you on your toes!

Yeah. :D
I like that. :D
Remote works in the 430 Mhz range and is digital.
Line of sight is around 40 meters but note I have extended out to about 60 by using an external antenna.
It blew me away when I researched it all.
There is so much equipment around now and fairly priced at that.
The actuator has a set of brass gears in it and puts out 50 Kilo's of pressure at 2.5 Ah.
You can get them a bit cheaper but they only have a set of nylon gears in them.
The controller as I said came from a really top person in Melbourne who designed them.
I would say he is reading this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All up go for it as I myself enjoy doing this sort of stuff. :D

I've always said that prospecting is still at the beginning of its technological twists and I wouldblove to see in the end what still is best. Modern or original equipment. With actuators, gps, wireless, arduino simple systems, and mobile phones, many devices will be made for everyday prospecting benefits. We are on the brink of discovery.. again.

External antenna makes a big difference too and 50k of grunt makes it a very interesting device mr.topic watcher ;) Lovely work

It will do it. :D
Just what controller are you going to use for it. ?
Also remember the hostile environment it will be in.
Water, dirt, Vibration, Heat and all that.

Hadn't thought past the servo motor yet to be honest ?

What I probably will do is go into Jaycar on a quiet day, and ask for advice. I can usually get a nerd-fest going pretty easily in there, once they've worked it out I just pay and saunter out with the right bits.....

I'm thinking a little 2 channel R/C transmitter/receiver with a little waterproof servo motor like they use in R/C boats.

What you reckon? At least distance shouldn't be an issue......

That would not be a problem and good thinking. :) :) :)
Nearly all pumps have a provision on the throttle control for either cable or push rod control.
Even if they don't it is not hard to rig something up. At least do not interfere with the governor mechanisms.
What you are talking there is nice and compact as well.
Would like to see this go ahead and yes, No problem with range. LOL You could go nearly 1/2 a Kilometer
with some thing like that. My remote Chopper has around 10 Kilometers line of sight. :D

bundyjd said:

What I probably will do is go into Jaycar on a quiet day, and ask for advice. I can usually get a nerd-fest going pretty easily in there, once they've worked it out I just pay and saunter out with the right bits.....
Advice and Jaycar don't fit in the same sentence with me.. your better off asking forum members imo :)

I'm starting with rc components for my little projects and playing with arduino and PICs ( when I can ) learning some robotics but its a long journey..

Tathradj said:
That would not be a problem and good thinking. :) :) :)
Nearly all pumps have a provision on the throttle control for either cable or push rod control.
Even if they don't it is not hard to rig something up. At least do not interfere with the governor mechanisms.
What you are talking there is nice and compact as well.
Would like to see this go ahead and yes, No problem with range. LOL You could go nearly 1/2 a Kilometer
with some thing like that. My remote Chopper has around 10 Kilometers line of sight. :D

I can't see any reason it wouldn't work, I will have a look at the throttle setup on my pump over the weekend and go from there. I wouldn't mind making something that was easily detachable from the pump for transport.

Oh, and the other channel might come in handy for a remote pump cut off.....

AtomRat said:
bundyjd said:

Advice and Jaycar don't fit in the same sentence with me.. your better off asking forum members imo :)

I'm starting with rc components for my little projects and playing with arduino and PICs ( when I can ) learning some robotics but its a long journey..

True that, although I have occasionally been surprised at how much some of them do actually know. After a while you learn to pick your targets ;)

It will work.
It's just how you go about it. :)
You could use an auxiliary channel on the remote then on the receiver end a small relay across the cut off switch.
I was going to use one like this but settled on a single channel.
What pump are you using. ??

Tathradj said:
It will work.
It's just how you go about it. :)
You could use an auxiliary channel on the remote then on the receiver end a small relay across the cut off switch.
I was going to use one like this but settled on a single channel.
What pump are you using. ??

WX15

I have a plastic storage box that it fits perfectly into, hence possibly needing to detach the remote control bits for transport.

Nice Pump mate. :)
Being a true Honda I would say that it would have the bracketing and points for a cable driven throttle.
You could put the actuator, bracket and receiver in a Plastic junction box then the only thing that is attached is a cable
allowing you to sit it along side the pump in any situation.
With my setup I only have to undo the cable on the pump and it is disconnected allowing me to manually operate it if some thing goes wrong
Things like this require a few beers and sit then think while staring at the pump in front of you. LOL

Here is what the throttle assembly looks like:

1440115391_wx15.jpg

I was thinking of attaching a bracket to the idle stop bracket for mounting the servo, and putting the receiver & battery in a separate box that could sit a few feet away from the pump and just be unplugged.....

Definitely requires more beer and staring :cool:

Looking at that drawing there is a bracket for a cable. :)
Have a look on the throttle lever for a small hole inline with the idle stop screw.
I will edit the picture,
give me a minute.
Red Arrow is the bracket.
Blue line is center line.
1440115998_throttle_wx15.jpg

bundyjd said:
Here is what the throttle assembly looks like:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3809/1440115391_wx15.jpg

I was thinking of attaching a bracket to the idle stop bracket for mounting the servo, and putting the receiver & battery in a separate box that could sit a few feet away from the pump and just be unplugged.....

Definitely requires more beer and staring :cool:

The other thing I'm not sure of is how fine the throttle control would be with this sort of setup.

I haven't had a lot to do with R/C gear apart from some cheap buggies my son had years ago. I seem to recall on those that the steering and throttle controls were pretty twitchy, not something you want when trying to make small adjustments to the pump speed.

Which is why I started off thinking about some sort of stepper motor arrangement, but this seems a whole lot easier....

Yeah, it does look like there is a spot there to clamp on a cable. Hmmmm.

Maybe a box with the receiver/battery/servo inside it and just the servo arm and cable on the outside.....

Latest posts