thai cuts...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dunno if its been put up before but still learning and want to learn as much as I can so here's a couple pics of what I've noticed on a couple of older thai cut stones. On the bottom of the stone the points don't all line up exact as they're supposed to. However I have seen some that look much better so hit an miss I guess. Anyway if someone can confirm but pretty sure I'm right
1414486470__img_000000_000000.jpg

Can see the bit that's got the light shining on it and the facet on the left doesn't touch the top

Always going to get that when sending to Asian cutters, as they generally cut to a time frame and when doing that, quality has to be sacrificed. They also don't always cut the specified refractive index angles for specific gem groups.

Generally they come back nice and sparkly, and are more than OK for dress jewelery, but never send a Quality stone to them expecting it to come back well cut. Rule of thumb is you get what you pay for, so if you have a top quality Sapphire in your collection, don't send it over there to get cut. Cheaper stones....great value for money. ;)

Yeh I had been debating but chose against it...wal any cutters you recommend. Location isn't a huge problem I can travel cheap. I have a nice 47ct deep blue that I want to get cut

Don't even think about sending that one to Lamberts or any of the Asian cutting outlets. Look up some Lapidary clubs close to you and have a talk to some of their cutters. Generally most clubs have a few good cutters with some entering their work into lapidary competitions. Check the ones that fare well in the comps and ask if they can help you out.

At 47ct you will need a competent cutter to get the best out of the stone. Chances are it may have to be cut into more than one stone, unless it has exceptional shape to cut into a solitaire.

Stones like that can lose more than 50% of their value with an inferior cut.

"I have a nice 47ct deep blue that I want to get cut"

I wouldn't let that one leave Australia - get it done here.

haha thanks guys. i would love to have one of the guys on the forum do it. just gotta work it out

Hey Blayke, what's up! Is the blue 47ct deep blue the stone you had with you to Glendon/Warwick?

I believe Caboolture isn't to far from you, right? I've just joined the gem club there to learn faceting. The reason I chose them for instruction over my own club - or the closer Bribie Island, Deception Bay and North Brissie clubs - is that I hear nothing but good about the instructors there. I haven't personally met them yet, as I only joined this week, but people unrelated to them won't stop referring to them as 'the best cutters in the country'. Perhaps you should just come on a Monday evening or Wednesday morning, when the instruction is on, to have a chat to them. They may be able to help you, or point you in the right direction.

The club is located in the historical village; just go the coffee place at the entrance to the village and ask for the gem club.

That stone you showed us on Glendon is definitely worth a precision cut, don't send it to Thailand!

it is indeed piep, at the time it was 50ct but i have since shaved off a couple carats of the schist layer to see clearer and it is much clearer to see the colour now with not such a bright light. will still be a deep blue but will be amazing provided theres no internal tiny cracks or bubbles....monday evenings might be possible ill see how i am with work. thanks for the tip but definately if they are good let me know

Lefty said:
Kingsolomon said:

Nice job Barney - but is that a fly in the background? :)
Not fly... But these little insects that you would swear are cicadas , but so small, love sitting on the stones at night .if you don't check ones there before you put stone back on lap"squish" they don't move ! .... Feel a little bad for them .... But only really checking because otherwise have to clean lap too often !

Latest posts