Take care when digging

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went out for a hunt today and whilst hacking away at a hole trying to cut through thick grass roots I hit the primer end of a live round of ammunition. Lucky for me it didnt go off and after closer inspection it appears to be a practice round.

It could have been so much worse, so a friendly reminder to everyone to be extremely careful when out digging.

xdyzgx.jpg

Wow close!!

It's even worse when it's a 50cal lol

Hit one while digging at an ww2 site, luckily the primer was already discharged. Great wake up call lol

Yep, we dug up 5 live rounds today all joined together in a strip (dunno what it's called) all 303 I think, were so old I wasn't going to play with them. Actually the bullets were not as scary as the diggings where we were detecting.

But yes, have to be careful when digging stuff up. Got another live 22 round a few weeks back, a lot of clumsy shooters dropping ammo everywhere.

a mate of mine who did some time in the army was telling me that some rounds ( I think .303 ) with 42 or 43 stamped on them had dud primers and would sometimes misfire and then go off when you opened the chamber..scary thought...I wonder what people do with live rounds that they find.??.it would be illegal to keep them I would imagine,?

I found some live ammo with my detector few weeks ago near Beaufort. They were all scattered around a stump.
I took it to my local cop shop and handed it in.
1388398855_image.jpg

Mrs Redfin called me on the two way thinking she had another Hand of faith, such was the signal, but not to be.

1388401926_sticks.jpg

Flares they were, still made the ticker skip a beat before i saw the end cap.
Makes one wonder why they were there, nearly 2' down.

I found my first live round yesterday. I did not realise what it was till I sorted through the dirt pile. A small calibre like a .22 short but the slug is very small. It has a "H" stamped on the end. Could be a relic perhaps. Until now I have never thought about the dangers of digging but I must admit after finding an 1835 shilling I dig carefully to reduce the risk of damaging the find. Heard stories of people cutting gold sovereigns and nuggets and seriously reducing their value. Wonder what it would take to set a bullet off? What would the result be with the bullet not set in a barrel and no compression? Anyway another reason to proceed carefully once a target has been located.

Latest posts