Take a kid out detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyBob

Robert Cocks
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like some pointers please, my grandson who is 8 years old wants to go with me Saturday to do some prospecting for a few hours, I thought I may take him to a beach just to see if he likes it, if not he can go for a swim or fill up on ice crme or maybe red cordial(hand him back high) oh you wicked person :D .

Bob.

NavyBob said:
Hi all,

I would like some pointers please, my grandson who is 8 years old wants to go with me Saturday to do some prospecting for a few hours, I thought I may take him to a beach just to see if he likes it, if not he can go for a swim or fill up on ice crme or maybe red cordial(hand him back high) oh you wicked person :D .

Bob.
Two words RED BULL :) and then hand him a shovel and stand back.

I take my 4and 6 year olds with me sometimes !
Pending we're I'm going and what critters are out !
Normaly there's other kids there !
You have to make it about them !
And help them in the search for treasure !
All kids love treasure !
Sometimes they detect , other times they play and collect rocks and things
Other times they just follow us around
And have a good time
But there to little for snakes areas ,
And deep leads
So we stick to shallow open ground ;)

The beach is good Bob, I think he would enjoy it and more so if you both find some nice treasures.

I have done a bit of beach detecting and the kids love it. You should be able to get at least an hour before the novelty wears thin. You swing they dig. I have a rule that the money and junk is theirs and Everything else is mine. The junk is a great exercise in cleaning up our beaches and a way to show kids why leaving junk on the beach is a bad idea. The next show and tell at school will get the two thumbs up. You will no doubt have up to ten other kids gravitate to you and their parents don't give a hoot how inconvenient this may be to you. So be prepared to become a daddy day care. I keep the other kids back a little by swinging the coil over their shoes or any metal on their clothing and letting them hear the beep. I then tell them they are mucking up the signals and I wont be able to find treasure, so please stand back a bit. If it helps you can tell the parents of the strange kids that the machine emits low level radiation but it shouldn't do any harm. ;) ;) LOL.
Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks guys and gals, this Saturday coming is our day. Now let me see .......red cordial--check- donuts- check. ok good to go, ha, ha.

Bob. :D