T2 vs. G2 vs. AT Gold - for detecting tiny iron objects

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grubstake said:
Monte's a pedantic old coot, but generally knowledgeable and reliable, IMHO. If you read again what he says, he is talking about the Discrimination mode not actually going down to zero. He is NOT saying that there isn't a separate, true All Metal mode on these detectors, as you have concluded. There is no confusion on his part or mine and my above comment stands.

The Gold Bug/G2 and related models use a control panel like that below, where the red dot at 6 o'clock below the Mode knob on the right, indicates a switched Discriminate mode (DISC), with the level of discrimination controlled by the +/- buttons (DISC LEVEL). Switching the Mode knob clockwise from the 6 o'clock position, changes the detector into true ALL METAL mode with a variable THRESHOLD level. In All Metal mode, the +/- buttons manually control the detector's level of GROUND BALANCE and discrimination is not available:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1455932232_all_metal.jpg

For somebody who has never used such devices, this may be somewhat hard to follow, but in use, the sound and 'feel' of detecting in All Metal vs Discriminate mode is very clearly different and there is no mistaking the one for the other.

You really helped me a lot. Thanks to your post, and explanation, I started reading (that is why I disappeared for a while) about how metal detectors really work, what different options mean, and how to use them. About the importance of frequency, ground balancing, threshold, and so on. I think I will go for G2, because it seems to have frequency high enough to detect small objects, but not to too high. Some detectors dedicated for gold hunt have around 70-90kHz, but I guess, that makes them too targeted, and G2 (19kHz) should be sensitive enough for a needle, but also versatile enough to give me some opportunities to play it with it outside.

The G2 is probably one of the easiest detectors out there to setup and use, and it actually makes for a very good coin detector. It gets very stable and consistant ID numbers on coins, has good recovery speed, and is the main detector that my partner uses on our coin outings due to its weight and ease of use.

Also keep in mind that there is also the newer G2+ model, which adds adjustable iron audio, notch capability, and a very handy backlit screen for low light conditions. :)

http://www.fisheraustralia.com/products/teknetics-g2-camo-metal-detector

Goldpick said:
The G2 is probably one of the easiest detectors out there to setup and use, and it actually makes for a very good coin detector. It gets very stable and consistant ID numbers on coins, has good recovery speed, and is the main detector that my partner uses on our coin outings due to its weight and ease of use.

Also keep in mind that there is also the newer G2+ model, which adds adjustable iron audio, notch capability, and a very handy backlit screen for low light conditions. :)

http://www.fisheraustralia.com/products/teknetics-g2-camo-metal-detector

Thank you. Yes, yes. I will buy the new version. I just hope, that it will be able do detects as tiny objects as a needle.

It's essentially the same detector with the same frequency, just a few updated features to make it a more proficient coin/relic detector.

Latest posts