Suction Head Filter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been covered here or not but...

Just wanted to know what you all are using to stop sand being sucked up into your water pump? ??? :/

I generally just put a pool skimmer sock over the head filter but I am always interested in other ideas. :D

Thanks in advance :lol:

Just put a heavy metal weight on the suction nozzle to keep it under water then attach some 20L drums for flotation and have an anchor point so it can't move around. That way it can't suck up any gravel/sand that is on the bottom

Hey guys,
thanks for the input so far, :)

Ballarat_Gold I'm not sure about the 20l drum idea though :eek: I'm sure it would work but.... i don't want to add weight to my setup :D

I anchor the suction head down with the aid of my trusty fishing rod holder :lol:
It is made out of solid steel and is very compact and light weight.
It has 2 prongs that go about 40cm into the creekbed.
From the prongs upwards it bends on a 45 degree angle and forms a cradle on top.
I just use a cable tie to secure the head to the rod holder and BAM!!
I can adjust how shallow/deep I want the head to be by simply pushing the rod holder down further into the ground or if its looking too deep then I can just pull it up a bit.

Keep the ideas coming!! ;)

i have used a ice cream container with a hole cut in the side just big enough for the suction hose to squeeze through, put the strainer back on and weighted it down with a rock, worked for me, rests on the bottom but doesnt suck up sand/mud etc from below it

Use a clean up tub, surely you have a tub or pan you run on the end of you banker when cleaning up. Just find a stone to weigh it down an another to anchor the intake aswell.

Trash pump don't worry about sand ?
Couple flat river stones underneath so I dont end up dredging a massive hole. That's about it haha

jamie said:
i have used a ice cream container with a hole cut in the side just big enough for the suction hose to squeeze through, put the strainer back on and weighted it down with a rock, worked for me, rests on the bottom but doesnt suck up sand/mud etc from below it

Hey Jamie, :)
Great idea, seems simple enough and sounds like it would work!!
I have plenty if buckets lying around , I will definitely be trying out that set up next time I go!!
Thanks mate!!!

Hey Jemba,
Thanks for the link you added, very cool design :cool:
It would work a treat for this time of year!!!

Thanks all for the input you provided, :)
Much appreciated!!!!

Need some advice,I have bought a genquip 1 1/2 inch pump which has a max suction head of 4m.I am wondering how much suction hose I will need to buy,would 3m be enough or should I get 4m?

Latest posts